The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Default Schenk guitars

Does anyone know what is up with Schenk guitars? 5 years ago he was getting awards all over the place. Now they don't even have a website, and the Facebook page doesn't get updated.

It's crazy, because his guitars are incredible. I have one, and it's the best modern guitar (by modern I mean even across all strings as opposed to a bass heavy Martin sound) I've ever played. It's what every Taylor wishes it could be.

Just seems really strange. But if you can get your hands on one, consider it!
Old 01-18-2018, 07:53 AM
Charter Member

Yeah, Rod makes a heckuva guitar! The official word is that his site was hacked, etc, etc... From what I gather that he's taking a break from the industry. Hopefully he'll be back soon as he is a great engineer and great builder....I mean Kevin Ryan uses his truss rod system as stated on Kevin's website so Rod is definitely an asset to the craft!

2004 John Osthoff AS-C
1992 Taylor (DCSM)Dan Crary Signature Model

Old 01-18-2018, 08:33 AM

I heard about the hack, and expected to see some sort of website rebuilt. Or even just operating off of Facebook regularly.

I wonder if it's the case of an expert craftsman who just doesn't have all the business desire or aptitude. Regardless, I hope he starts up again. It'd be a shame not to have his work be more available.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Charter Member

I talked with him a couple of times last spring. Haven’t tried to call or anything since. As has been said, great guitars, not so great on the business end.

Mark
Guitars; Esteban -"Tribute to Paula Abdul L.E." Arturo Fuente- Cigar Box"Hand Made" First Act-"Diamond Bling" Main Street- "Flaming Acoustic" Silvertone-"Paul Stanley Dark Star" Daisy Rock- "Purple Daze"
Old 01-18-2018, 11:16 AM

Good to know. Thanks! I did see a FB post from him from July '17 that he's still indeed working, but that he lays low since he otherwise gets "too much" interest and too many build requests.

Probably a good problem to have, and he has sure earned his choice of how he wants to work.
Old 10-07-2023, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Schenk Guitars

I've been emailing Rod Schenk with some questions about his Ophirio model.
I specifically asked him if he's still building guitars because I had read some of these posts.

He states his shop continues to be fully operational!
Old 10-08-2023, 06:29 AM

Looks like his website is up. Some beautiful guitars, but also some interesting pricing policies (400 upcharge for us lefties ...).
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion