The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2018, 07:21 AM

Default Your take on Gravity Acrylic picks?

I was wondering how folks like the Gravity acrylic series picks here. I bought two of them (a 1.5mm and a 2mm with holes) along with a Gold Series and Gravity threw in a third 1.15mm pick with nubs for grip.

These picks are much more slippery on the strings than standard blister pack picks, and much brighter sounding as well. I might not use them on everything I play, but I kept being drawn back to that 2mm (blue) with the grip holes in the center because it felt so good in my fingers. The sound of the Charmed Life and Gravity Gold Series is far more mellow and I'd say complex, so I like those better overall but man the feel of those acrylics is hard to argue with. I am thinking of getting a couple of their "Tripp" series with the three different style corners on them next. It seems like that would be useful for different sounds.

So how do the masses here feel about the acrylic series from Gravity?

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa
Washburn Timeless Series Celtic Mandolin

Boss DR-01S Rhythm Partner
Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos
Bunch of boutique picks (cheap GAS cure)

Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I have several Gravity picks in different sizes and shapes. At one time they were my favorite picks. I would rank them as my third favorite pick behind Charmed Life and Blue Chip. My casein Charmed Life picks are my everyday choice now, as I like them just a bit better than my BC picks. They seem to bring out a warmer tone.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:44 AM

I have only one (bright green triangle). Pretty nice and I like the way it feels and sounds. Definitely has a place in my pick bowl...
Old 01-18-2018, 08:25 AM

I have a half dozen of the 1.1mm gravity picks and love them. Unfortunately they stopped making the ones I have so I'm careful not to lose any.
Tried the gold and returned it. Also tried a blue chip and returned it.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:38 AM

I have several acrylic V-pick brand picks. They work OK for me, but they produce an obvious clicky sound. My 2 Charmed Life picks get the most use out of my pick collection. Honorable mention for Primetone picks.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Acrylic picks are just something I've never been able to bond with. I've tried them from several manufacturers and to me they just have kind of a cold tone (the best way I can describe it), but I agree they do feel awesome on the strings.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 01-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
Acrylic picks are just something I've never been able to bond with. I've tried them from several manufacturers and to me they just have kind of a cold tone (the best way I can describe it), but I agree they do feel awesome on the strings.
I get what you're saying about colder tone with these. It's sort of bright with rather biting overtones which can be good if that's what you're after I suppose.

The Charmed Life (especially) and Gravity Gold Tone (also very good) sound much more organic, mellow and complex sounding without the biting overtones which is what I usually am after. Also, I can't say that these picks don't also feel great in my fingers as well. Perhaps I just need thicker picks in general since both of these picks are 1mm, and the Gravity 2mm felt better in my fingers? Great, now I gotta order more picks!

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-18-2018, 09:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social Exodus View Post
I get what you're saying about colder tone with these. It's sort of bright with rather biting overtones which can be good if that's what you're after I suppose.

The Charmed Life (especially) and Gravity Gold Tone (also very good) sound much more organic, mellow and complex sounding without the biting overtones which is what I usually am after. Also, I can't say that these picks don't also feel great in my fingers as well. Perhaps I just need thicker picks in general since both of these picks are 1mm, and the Gravity 2mm felt better in my fingers? Great, now I gotta order more picks!

I haven’t tried the Gravity Gold pick yet but curiosity will probably get the best of me and I’ll get one eventually (I’ll justify it as product research LOL) but from what I understand the Gold series isn’t acrylic and I’ll probably like them a lot better. Personally my sweet spot for pick thickness is between 1.25-1.5 mm.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-18-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I haven’t tried the Gravity Gold pick yet but curiosity will probably get the best of me and I’ll get one eventually (I’ll justify it as product research LOL) but from what I understand the Gold series isn’t acrylic and I’ll probably like them a lot better. Personally my sweet spot for pick thickness is between 1.25-1.5 mm.
I agree on pick thickness and that is where my sweet spot is settling in. If you'd have told me that 10 years ago, I would have laughed at you but as I have gotten older, and my technique has improved I find I can't use anything less than a 1mm anymore on an acoustic guitar.

BTW, the Gold Series is not acrylic, and when I asked Chris at Gravity, he stated the material was similar to Blue Chip picks.

We are so lucky to live in a day and age with so many great choices in picks (and pedals, and guitars, and amps, etc...)!

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-18-2018, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree on pick thickness and that is where my sweet spot is settling in. If you'd have told me that 10 years ago, I would have laughed at you but as I have gotten older, and my technique has improved I find I can't use anything less than a 1mm anymore on an acoustic guitar.

BTW, the Gold Series is not acrylic, and when I asked Chris at Gravity, he stated the material was similar to Blue Chip picks.

We are so lucky to live in a day and age with so many great choices in picks (and pedals, and guitars, and amps, etc...)!
There is an entire world of industrial plastics out there that haven't been touched or even looked at for guitar picks. As good as the boutique picks on the market now are (and they are really awesome) I'm convinced that we haven't found the "holy grail" yet. I'm not doing a commercial here, but the new one I just released has never been used before and I'm really impressed with it. I'll bet there's a thousand more out there waiting to be tested and in that thousand there will be a few that will completely blow us away.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
There is an entire world of industrial plastics out there that haven't been touched or even looked at for guitar picks. As good as the boutique picks on the market now are (and they are really awesome) I'm convinced that we haven't found the "holy grail" yet. I'm not doing a commercial here, but the new one I just released has never been used before and I'm really impressed with it. I'll bet there's a thousand more out there waiting to be tested and in that thousand there will be a few that will completely blow us away.
Agreed. There's always the next big thing right around the corner.

Yamaha FG365s (1978)
Martin 000-28
Taylor 814ce
Taylor 458e
Taylor GS Mini-e Koa

Boss RC-30 Loop Station
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Shubb capos

Old 01-18-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Funny, because to me the Charmed, Blue Chip and Gravity Gold sound muffled to me. To each his own .
Old 01-18-2018, 10:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
Funny, because to me the Charmed, Blue Chip and Gravity Gold sound muffled to me. To each his own .
That's why they make so many different options of everything! None of us hear anything exactly the same.
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

Old 01-18-2018, 11:28 AM

I know Gravity picks really well. In my experience, acrylic is fantastic for electric playing (as long as you get the shape and thickness that work for you. Thick feels and sounds way different from thin; the point shape has a major effect on tone, too. I use Gravity picks all the time on my electrics. On acoustics, I find that acrylic picks are unbearably noisy on the strings, even though they perform well mechanically. For me at least, the sounds acrylic picks make on strings is genuinely ugly, so I don't use them acoustically. On acoustics, I like Charmed Life Reds most, for me -- they're fast, feel great on contact, and elicit a focused but not excessively dull or "warm" tone. BCs work similarly; the Charmed Life Red is my pick because its thinness, snap, and firmness combine perfectly for my use.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:19 PM
Charter Member

I agree with Mr. fingers that the gravity picks sound better suited to electric guitars. Too much noise for acoustics I think.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion