The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Default Guitar Repair in Chicago

Hey Guys!

I have a beautiful Collings OM that has a crack in the top (with the grain). This happened when I was away (travel for work) and the heat failed in my apartment. Devastating, disappointing, but could be worse (still a Collings ). Do you have any recommendations for good luthiers/repair shops who can do a good job repairing it?

Thanks!
Trevor
Old 01-16-2018, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Marc Babin. He is located in Hampshire, IL. I trust him with all my guitars, many of which are Collings.

He's a great guy who does excellent work.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:34 PM

Third Coast Guitars in Chicago. Tobias Music in Downers Grove.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 PM

Marc Babin is a good guy, but a bit of a drive, depending on where you are. There is a shop called Guitar works in Evanston. On Lincoln ave. Chicago fret works.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

The guys at Chicago Fret Works in the Lincoln Square neighborhood have always done outstanding work on my guitars, and I would recommend them.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM

I took my Santa Cruz to Chicago Fret Works to have some small chips in the finish filled in. The guys there were nice enough but acted like they never worked on a high end guitar before. They didn't level out the filler and dripped some on the top. It looked worse than when I came in.

That being said, I have heard people say they were satisfied with other work they did. Maybe finish work is not their area of expertise.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonski View Post
I took my Santa Cruz to Chicago Fret Works to have some small chips in the finish filled in. The guys there were nice enough but acted like they never worked on a high end guitar before. They didn't level out the filler and dripped some on the top. It looked worse than when I came in.

That being said, I have heard people say they were satisfied with other work they did. Maybe finish work is not their area of expertise.
This is disappointing to hear. I always thought Chicago Fret Works had a specialization in guitar repairs.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Back to Marc Babin. He can be a bit of a drive but, his work is exceptional.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonski View Post

Wow - I've had that exact same repair done two times at CFW with exceptional results, and they are certainly no strangers to working on high end guitars. Weird. Sorry for your experience.

I believe any of the repair options mentioned in this thread are quality people/shops. I'm pretty sure there is a "negative" story regarding just about any guitar repair tech/shop. I've heard many conflicting stories right here on the AGF - both good and bad about the same place or person. I've had work done by CFW, Third Coast, and even Marc Babin a number of years ago. All good options. I just tend to use CFW most often, and really have been a very satisfied customer.

Last edited by kcnbys; 01-17-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:50 PM

I would get in contact with Down Home Giutars they are in frankfort and see who the use. They specialize in high end boutique guitars.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:32 PM

Another vote for Marc Babin here. Its a three hour drive for me but has always been worth it.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
Wow - I've had that exact same repair done two times at CFW with exceptional results, and they are certainly no strangers to working on high end guitars. Weird. Sorry for your experience.

I believe any of the repair options mentioned in this thread are quality people/shops. I'm pretty sure there is a "negative" story regarding just about any guitar repair tech/shop. I've heard many conflicting stories right here on the AGF - both good and bad about the same place or person. I've had work done by CFW, Third Coast, and even Marc Babin a number of years ago. All good options. I just tend to use CFW most often, and really have been a very satisfied customer.
I was there about six years ago so maybe things have changed. I'm glad to hear good reports so I'll probably give them another try. Very nice people. (Cool dog too!)
Old 01-18-2018, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Depending on where you're located, Cremer Guitarworks in Aurora is highly regarded too.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:35 PM

Third Coast Guitar Repair can do a good job on most things. They are a factory authorized facility for Fender, Martin, Taylor, (and I think Gibson). Never heard of Marc Babin before so can only rely on others' reports, but he's about an hour outside the city past Elgin.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 01-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Again, depending where you are, Denny Rauen in Milwaukee is top notch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion