The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yes the bracing on the HD-28 has always been scalloped (to my knowledge) but the newer version that Martin is introducing will also be forward shifted in it's placement. Makes me wonder if the HD-28V is headed into retirement along with the D-28 Marquis? Chris may be trying to streamline the inventory?
That would be my guess, and I think it’s a smart move. I bet Martin has done better with the updated D-18 than they did with the previous model and D-18V combined. I expect the same will be true of the HD-28.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Not certain what changes on that model, but here is the link.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars.../gpc-28e-2018/
Quickly glancing at it, It looks like Scalloped bracing, finger board inlay, pickguard are changed.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Yes the bracing on the HD-28 has always been scalloped (to my knowledge) but the newer version that Martin is introducing will also be forward shifted in it's placement. Makes me wonder if the HD-28V is headed into retirement along with the D-28 Marquis? Chris may be trying to streamline the inventory?
In that case the HD28 (2018) version is exactly what I am most interested in! The friendlier, feature rich HD-28V that I always wanted to check out, but could only get in a custom model! COOL!
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-11-2018, 11:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I might be singing the same song. :-) I really like the HD28. Does that already have forward shifted scalloped braces?

As for the D-35, I always disliked the bright white binding. So the vintage shaded binding is much better!

Will all these standard models have 1 3/4" Nut width? (My preference!)
Yep. 1 3/4" high performance necks, aging toner, antique white binding, open-gear tuners and old style headstock logo.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shades of Blue View Post
I finally see an HD-28 in my future....
Yes! Me too!

1998 Larrivee J-05
2017 Martin D18
2004 Fender American Telecaster
1991 Fender America Stratocaster
Old 01-11-2018, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Yep. 1 3/4" high performance necks, aging toner, antique white binding, open-gear tuners and old style headstock logo.
I will call you when they are available! :-) Gonna be a very good year for Martin sales! and hopefully for our AGF sponsors who sell Martins. :-)
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 01-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Oh Brother! What I've wanted all along was an HD-28 / HD-28V with the new neck and a good pickup system.
I bought a 2017 D18 and I love it. Absolutely zero regrets and it will be in my possession until the day I buy the farm. However, like you, I've always wanted a D28 or Hd28/v. But when I compared my D18 to a 2016 D28 and a HD28, to my ears, the new D18 blew them both out of the water. That's just my opinion. The HD28 came in second. BUT, the new HD28 with the forward shifted scalloped braces, wider nut, aged top, new inlays, and vintage tuners, is calling me... I've always loved the HD28v but it was out of my price range. Now, I will be saving my cash for a new HD28. Heck, (I'm from MN) I may even consider selling my Larrivee J05 for the new HD28. The D35 looks amazing as well. The om28 and 00028 are also enticing. I'm gasing like mad right now. I told my wife about the updates and she gave me blank stare.

1998 Larrivee J-05
2017 Martin D18
2004 Fender American Telecaster
1991 Fender America Stratocaster
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Am I correct in saying that a few models (The om28 and om21 specifically) have no real differences in construction, just a few cosmetic changes?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

With the new D-28's forward shifted bracing it just stands to reason that Martin would follow suit with the HD-28. Same with the string spacing and tuners. In hindsight...Martin may have been testing the water at Summer NAMM 2017 for this very change with the 2017 D-28. It's been well received and I believe this new Standard series will be too (overall). In my mind this is a game changer for Martin guitars!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-11-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbrooks View Post
Am I correct in saying that a few models (The om28 and om21 specifically) have no real differences in construction, just a few cosmetic changes?
I was looking at the OM-21 because I am interested in one. I don't see any changes. Am I missing something?
Old 01-11-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
They look great, but I find it odd that they went with 2-5/32" string-spacing at the saddle? Even though that's the same or slightly wider spacing than what these models previously had, I would have thought that 2-3/16" or 2-1/4" were more popular? But what do I know...Martin seems to be doing just fine without my opinion!
I'm with you on this. I myself do not care for the narrow 2-5/32" string-spacing at the saddle - but Martin obviously knows what they're doing. I guess it's custom shop for me.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardmatt83 View Post
I was looking at the OM-21 because I am interested in one. I don't see any changes. Am I missing something?
The Martin website might not be showing all of the converted specs just yet. The OM-21 already had scalloped braces and 1 3/4" nut ... its changes will be the old style logo, aging toner, antique white binding (among others).
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 01-11-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
Oh my! You "CAN'T" flip the D-18 for an HD-28. The Rule is; You must have "both". Silly wabbit.
I don't think I will...but it will be hard not to entertain the thought...
Old 01-11-2018, 12:40 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Dang...your killing me! Just when I’ve been completely GAS free because I already have the updated 18 and 28 the changes go standard-wide.

Can’t imagine getting rid of either one...but, man, an HD28 or D35 with those specs would be sweet. Decisions, decisions...

Old 01-11-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev Roy View Post
Dang...your killing me! Just when I’ve been completely GAS free because I already have the updated 18 and 28 the changes go standard-wide.

Can’t imagine getting rid of either one...but, man, an HD28 or D35 with those specs would be sweet. Decisions, decisions...
Unless there is just a small part of you that thinks your D-18 sounds better than your D-28, I'd just stay put. If you think you do prefer your D-18, it could be the scalloped bracing, and you might really like an HD-28.

Here is the kicker though...With these specs, the HD-28 is now much closer to the D-18 construction wise. You'd get a true assessment of mahogany vs rosewood. Now that I think about it, I'd keep my D-28 because it will be more different than the D-18 than an HD-28 would...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion