The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-26-2010, 05:18 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default A.S.I.A Symposium New builders and wanna be's please read

Ok this area moves slower than the main page. But a more specific group has gathered since my ASIA post. So, for something new to read in our "pub" I thought I'd dig up my post from last year. This past summer was still a wow moment in my head and I cannot wait till next summers gathering. I hope to see a bunch of you there! Come on Fliss! Its a plane ride away!
From 6/19/09

What was the A.S.I.A Symposium 09’? Guitar Maker heaven.

Wednesday I arrived about 11am. It was about a 7 hour drive through Pennsylvania Country. Beautiful. I arrived at the lovely East Stroudsburg College Campus around 1PM. I left Sunday morning stuffed with information.
On top of classes I had volunteered to help in the only capacity I was qualified to do. Photography. In these 400+ photo’s you will see fun, learning and Kings of the industry. There are images from the event and slide shows. Enjoy them
This is a favorite candid; Everyone 7AM Day 1 before classes. EVERYONE is talking guitars! Look at the hands and eyes!

Chris Martin & Kevin Ryan both spent 2.5 hours letting us look into their souls and lives, Amazing speech’s.
Kevin Ryan walked us through his high tech ways of creating works of art. How so many of his innovations came about. The thought that goes into how and why is so deep in the man. He re-invented clothespins! His methods are never yesterdays way of doing things!
Chris Martin Blew Me Away. He walked out on stage with a business magazine and a huge dictionary. For the next 2 and a half hours we got to hear of how, why, up and down of the world of Martin. He issued a challenge! Who would be the next big company? Also...Someone please make an improvement on tuners. There has to be something new in 100 years! Great, great speech. Then a great round of Q&A As an aside. What really makes that man a King in the industry is how happy the Factory is. It was my second tour. I have managed people, yikes. It is a hard job having a crew so big work in harmony. He/they pull it off.
In the Photo’s there is an image you may write off. It is very special to me. Before going on stage Chris Martin was sitting off to the side listening to a recording of his Grandfather at the first Symposium. Man was he caught up in that recording.

The 7am to 10:30 PM class days are going to take time to absorb. There were teachers with open arms and ideas running amok. So wild walking up to Dick Boak chatting a few minutes, turn to Grit Laskin and chat a while, over to Kevin Ryan, Bill Tippin ……. I have left out so so many great names. Many I learned in the past week! I said wow you made that one???? More than a few times.
Inlay artists that blow my thoughts on capability! John Hall and all of his creations, Repair Guru’s from Stew Mac and LMI.. Inlay....Wood, oh the wood…
I am writing a play by play of the experience from wide eyes. I will submit it to Mr. Acker for hopeful publication in Guitarmaker Magazine. If you build, want to build, have a thought of maybe someday building….. Join A.S.I.A I walked out of there with a Million ideas for my future. And a great network of friends. The next Symposium is 2011. East Stroudsburg Pa. BE THERE. Thank You
These are a bit out of order but fun to look at. Pictures are yours to use with proper Photo Credit ;
Here they are.............
http://s112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ediafilter=all
In the upper right corner you can turn it into a slide show.
Thanks for looking,
John Kitchen
iSimon PHOTOGRAPHY

Copies for use ok Photo Credit iSimonPHOTOGRAPHY
Images here and on Photobucket are low rez. Contact me for high rez images.
[email protected]

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 02-12-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-26-2010, 06:01 AM

Fun post,YJ. Thanks!

DAB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair