The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-17-2018, 08:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tippy5 View Post
Yes the Charmed Life..... Being 62 I remember all the gigs with Fender mediums..... and other imprecise, click noise featuring inaccurate execution. Those flimsy, clacken' picks of yesteryear.

I sure wish these CL's were around back in the day.
I coulda been somebody.

Who says: The pick dosen't make the man, but makes the musician?
Or you can pick your friends but not your family?
Ok Scott, some more pick proverbs?

Or a Philly Song?

I was playin at the spectrum leaning against the lecturn when outa my fingers fell my plectrum.
Tippy, you gotta finish the line: "I coulda been a contendah."

No other pithy words. My guess is that the Fender Medium (around .77 mm) is probably the single most popular pick in the world. Can you imagine how many millions they sell every year?

scott memmer
Old 01-18-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
MusicMan, you're too late. You didn't get to him in time. He is spending his VA pension on expensive guitar accessories.

I'm thinking of starting a 12-Step group, and I'll be the first in line.

memmer
Speaking from personal experience: I now have 5 expensive (over $20) picks. I will be the first to admit that the improvement is somewhat subtle, but the flip side of the coin is that I am now unable to use any of my considerable cheaper pick collection. After you use a nice pick for a while the downgrade in performance with the cheap pick seems considerably less subtle to the ear.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-18-2018, 09:59 AM
Guest 2434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
the Fender Medium (around .77 mm) is probably the single most popular pick in the world.
what's do customers most often purchase if that's what they're used to?
Old 01-18-2018, 11:35 AM

Social Exodus, your posts here have been interesting and informative. Thanks. My experiences with those specific makers has been the same as yours -- totally positive ad helpful. I also agree wholeheartedly with the idea of sending your business and paying money for good products made by deserving people. I don't think of these picks as "expensive" (and having reshaped some picks myself over the years, I can say that it's not easy to get those contours right!) -- I think you get what you pay for, and I think of these items as having great value. Since I don't lose picks, and since these last and last and last, the cost over time is nothing. I use Ultex all the time when I don't happen to have one of my best picks around, and those are really nice picks and I don't feel deprived or restricted. But CL and Gravity (both acrylic and Gold) are better, plain and simple. I appreciate both the content and the enthusiasm of your posts. It's really exciting to come across ways of liberating your playing and refreshing your ears.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion