The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2018, 10:27 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Guitar Center's string club

Everytime I buy strings at GC they ask me if I want to join their string club. Has anyone done this?

Usually I buy strings in a bunch online and when I'm only buying 1 or 2 sets I'll go to the store so I don't see the need for joining their string club.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Charter Member

I haven't done this but same thing here, every single freakin' time I buy strings there I get asked about this.

From the site:

"Want to play on a new set of strings each month and save money while you do it? For just $20, you'll get a String Club card with $5 available to use towards a new set of strings each month, refreshed on the first of the month for a year."

That sounds like a good deal if I understand it. You pay $20 up front, and then each month you get a $5 credit applied to a new set of strings. With the Martin 7100 SP Lifespans I'm using, if I bought one new a set a month without it, that's $143.89 @ $11.99 a month. In the club, that monthly cost would be $6.99 = $83.88, then add the $20 fee and you have $103.88.

That's not nothing. Of course they're counting on you buying other stuff while you're in there, but still--I play enough to justify new strings once a month, so I should do this.

Edit: I should add it obviously depends on how you buy strings. If you're buying them in sets the club might not make sense. But for me I think it does, especially since at appears Martin polices its string prices as much as everything else, so it's not like I can get a discount someplace, that I know of.

Really liked Hudson River Boogie btw.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:24 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
I haven't done this but same thing here, every single freakin' time I buy strings there I get asked about this.

From the site:

"Want to play on a new set of strings each month and save money while you do it? For just $20, you'll get a String Club card with $5 available to use towards a new set of strings each month, refreshed on the first of the month for a year."

That sounds like a good deal if I understand it. You pay $20 up front, and then each month you get a $5 credit applied to a new set of strings. With the Martin 7100 SP Lifespans I'm using, if I bought one new a set a month without it, that's $143.89 @ $11.99 a month. In the club, that monthly cost would be $6.99 = $83.88, then add the $20 fee and you have $103.88.

That's not nothing. Of course they're counting on you buying other stuff while you're in there, but still--I play enough to justify new strings once a month, so I should do this.

Edit: I should add it obviously depends on how you buy strings. If you're buying them in sets the club might not make sense. But for me I think it does, especially since at appears Martin polices its string prices as much as everything else, so it's not like I can get a discount someplace, that I know of.

Really liked Hudson River Boogie btw.

Thanks Chris!

I wonder if you can use the club card if you buy online from them. I'll have to ask. I'm pretty sure they have more inventory online than in the stores, like the Martin Flexible Cores that I like to use sometimes.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-15-2018, 07:45 AM

I have this card.

Buy a new set of strings every month and save $5. Usually elixirs but I may use it to try out some new stuff.

I'm starting to stack up strings but It will be good when gigs start back up in the summer
Old 01-15-2018, 08:09 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My lovely wife keeps me supplied with a card. I typically go in and grab a set of Ernie Ball Super Slinky electric guitar strings that cost $4.99. I pay the tax. As a result I always have a box full of fresh strings. When I want something else like Elixers or Gibson strings I just accept the $5 off their price. Easy peasy.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-15-2018, 08:11 AM

My secretary gave me a card last year. It was nice for trying out different strings, but I rarely go to GC and used it only 4-5 times during the year.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Fender Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Old 01-15-2018, 08:34 AM

I visit one or another local GC at least twice monthly, on average, so, yeah, having the card works out nicely for me.
Taylor GS Mini-e Spruce/Rosewood
Waterloo WL-S
Wechter TO-8418

Cordoba 24T tenor ukulele
Kanile'a Islander MST-4 tenor ukulele
Kiwaya KTC-1 concert ukulele
Kolohe concert ukulele
Mainland Mahogany soprano ukulele
Ohana SK-28 soprano ukulele
Brüko No. 6 soprano ukulele
Old 01-18-2018, 08:26 AM

Several years ago, they gave away free String Club cards to the first 10 or 20 people who showed up on Thanksgiving night to shop. That's how I got mine. I probably went 10 of the 12 months to buy strings. It's a good deal if you go to GC at least once a month and go through a lot of strings.
Old 01-18-2018, 11:23 AM

I had it one year and it is fine. It's a marketing tool to get you into the store monthly. Not that that's bad. I don't go into a store unless I need something for a short-notice gig so I only did it one year.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion