The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-04-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Yikes...I will upset the woodrows. I block Strat trems with a stack of pennies glued together or taped with blue painters tape. I have been playing strats forever and have never noticed a difference in how my guitars sound blocked or unblocked.

Waiting for the grenades.
When I was a kid we used everything to block a trem... Then again we plugged into basically everything on the way to the amp, so if there were a difference, I probably wouldn't know. Hard to hear body resonance at 12 notes/second!
Old 01-06-2018, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Hard to hear body resonance at 12 notes/second!
Hey Vai....welcome to the forum
Old 01-06-2018, 05:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I block Strat trems with a stack of pennies glued together or taped with blue painters tape.
I was wondering when that was going to be said. Danelectro Dead On '67 guitars need a hand full of washers... from the same hardware store as the shims.
Good luck with the project!
Old 01-06-2018, 08:53 AM
Charter Member

This is probably a long shot, but I'd be interested in a hardwood trem block should one of you guys with a bandsaw have the inclination to slice up a piece of oak or something of that ilk....

From Sweetwater....

Very few Stratocasters were built with hard tails, but some guitarists prefer them. Eric Clapton, for instance. If your Strat has a tremolo tailpiece, and you want a hard tail, you can do what Eric did and block the tremolo (which is actually a vibrato, but after decades, the name stuck). Naturally, we recommend letting a qualified guitar tech do this (particularly if your Strat is still under warranty), but if you’re a “hands-on” type person, here’s how to do it. First, lower the bridge posts and tighter the spring claw until the bridge sits level with the top of the guitar (you may want to add the extra spring(s) if your Strat came with one or more missing – Strats usually come with only three out of five possible springs). Then carefully cut a hardwood block that fits inside the cavity behind the existing tremolo. Hint: Use a hard wood like maple rather than a soft wood like pine, and make sure you have a snug fit. Once you’ve inserted the block, and string tension is brought back up to normal, you should have, in effect, a hard-tail Strat. All that’s left is to replace the plastic cover that normally conceals the tremolo parts and you’re ready to rock!

Don’t want to deal with wood blocks? An easier but very effective method for blocking your tremolo is to tighten the two spring claw plate screws until they are flush against the body (make sure you detune before you do this) Then, make sure that you have all five springs attached to your spring claw and tremolo block. The tension exerted from the five springs will be more than enough to keep your bridge flush to the body. This method has been proven to work even with extremely heavy string gauges such as Stevie Ray Vaughan’s setup (.013 – .056) in standard tuning pitch.
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-06-2018, 01:48 PM

i just use the 5 spring method without even needing to screw the screws all the way in. stays in tune, gives a little wiggle when i want it and i'm good to go.

i also just put some aluminum tape inside the cavities and that sure brought the pickup noise down. some people recommend copper tape but i already had the aluminum.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 01-06-2018, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Hey Vai....welcome to the forum
He's about 20..
Old 01-28-2018, 05:49 PM

Hi I'm new here.

I could a missed it being mentioned, but wouldn't it be easy to call Fender and order the same block they put into the EC Signature Strats (do they still make them?) At least mind did when I bought bought one in 1989. The lore was that they did this so when Clapton needed one in whatever town he was in, he could just get his one of his signature models and be good to go. I don't know what Strats he was playing on tour when I saw him 25-30 years ago, but his sideman at at the time, Andy Fairweather Low, was playing the same 7-Up Green EC model I had.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny K View Post
...wouldn't it be easy to call Fender and order the same block they put into the EC Signature Strats...
What an excellent idea! (Insert sound of hand slapping forehead)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Found them in the catalog
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fender Shims.jpg (25.9 KB, 19 views)
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars