The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-03-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
Silver Creek D-160. And it looks like they are on sale again. Mixed reviews here on the forum. But they do have a lot of fans. Yours truly being one of them.
It'll need a string change and set up when it arrives. But when you're done, IMO it's the best bang for the buck. IT IS "Alot for a little". I like 80/20 strings on mine.
http://backstage.musiciansfriend.com...5000010000.sku
For a new all-solid guitar, I don't think you'll find cheaper than the Silver Creek. Like Fatstrat said, they will need a bit of work out of the box, but still huge bang for the buck. I've been tempted, but I'm not looking for a dread at the moment. Myself, I'd probably pay a bit more for a Recording King or a Yamaha L-series. I'm a little unsure of the Silver Creek's durability at the moment.

edit: I see the T-160 is on sale for the same price if you need an auditorium size.

Last edited by p^h; 04-03-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimTrunks View Post
His question was what is the best value or the cheapest solid wood guitar, not "should I go out and play a bunch before I buy one", which I would think most people would do before they buy a guitar.
You'd be surprised how many people don't think to do that.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:29 AM

Check out the Wechter 000. Nice guitar, I like it in some ways better than my expensive Taylor.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:42 AM

Well, if someone comes here with a handle "Newbie888" and four posts it can be assumed he is just that, and perhaps not as well informed as he should be. For all the hype about low end solids like Seagull, Silver Creek and others that are commonly mentioned here, I haven't played any that hold a candle to some Yamaha, Takamine, Taylor, Martin, and Breedloves (and others) that have solid tops and lami sides and back. But in the end, I don't care what anyone else plays. We're just trying to steer a newbie in the right direction. You know what they say about "leading a horse to water".
Old 04-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

I think an Eastman AC320CE would be worth considering.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:54 AM

The Silver Creek I got was marginal in quality. The frets were uneven and the neck wasn't that straight.. I should have returned it, but being in Canada it is not that easy, but that's what can be expected when buying online from time to time. The Eastman flattops are very good but will probably exceed your budget. A line of guitars that will suit your budget are the Seagull SWS (solid wood series) guitars. They are very well made and quite consistent; However, they are not powerhouse Martins. I guess you simply get what you pay for
Old 04-03-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie888 View Post
hi,

Please suggest the best-value all-solid guitar. I won't be buying anything w laminate sides/back.

Thx
Just curious about your reservations on laminated sides/back. If your budget is $700, you should be looking for the best sounding/best playing $700 guitar you can find and not worry about how it's constructed. That's my advice and it's worth what you paid for it.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Epiphone Masterbilt DR-500MCE $xxx

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...94-i1515774.gc

*** Price Removed 2) NO GUITAR PRICING DISCUSSIONS: We respectfully ask that you keep guitar pricing discussions offline. We think pricing discussions in this forum can hurt dealers and ultimately hurt customers. When someone posts that they bought a guitar for XXXX, that suddenly sets the price for a lot of other dealers to have to match to stay competitive. It doesn't matter if the more expensive dealer offers better service or value-adds, has a nicer display room where the instruments are better cared for, etc. ***

Last edited by Darrel; 04-03-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Price
Old 04-03-2011, 12:21 PM

RM Olson, check it out on Ebay. Nice guitars for the price. $500 bucks gets you solid B&S and a solid Sitka top with some nice inlay as well.
La Patrie Collection (For sale)
Seagull 12-string
Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM

Be aware of guitar addiction. My budget started at $250. Now I own over 20K worth of tools and materials to build guitars and my current budget for purchasing guitars is $250 x a LOT. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
La Patrie Collection (For sale)
Seagull 12-string
Old 04-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p^h View Post
For a new all-solid guitar, I don't think you'll find cheaper than the Silver Creek. Like Fatstrat said, they will need a bit of work out of the box, but still huge bang for the buck. I've been tempted, but I'm not looking for a dread at the moment. Myself, I'd probably pay a bit more for a Recording King or a Yamaha L-series. I'm a little unsure of the Silver Creek's durability at the moment.

edit: I see the T-160 is on sale for the same price if you need an auditorium size.
The D-160 is a dread.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellowman View Post
I think an Eastman AC320CE would be worth considering.
If you can get an Eastman solid wood in your price range, that is absolutely the way I'd go. GREAT guitars. But I wouldn't be afraid of the Silver Creek. True, not the highest quality. But I think not bad. Mine needed minimal work and sounds/plays very good. I'm buying a new Rosewood Martin, but as far I'm concerned, the D-160 has Mahogany body covered well enough to suit me.

Last edited by Fatstrat; 04-03-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:02 PM

I have played the Guild GAD series. My son acutally had one once. play great and sound good. very good build quality. here is one that could probably be bought for you price.

http://davesguitar.com/guild/gad-50-7626.asp
Old 04-03-2011, 02:31 PM

A Recording King and put some $ back in your pocket. I'm serious!
Old 04-03-2011, 03:14 PM

Broaden your perspective and get a used one. For that money you'll either get a rubbish new solid wood model, or an excellent used one.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion