The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-21-2016, 11:07 PM

Default Soundhole pickups and recording with a mic or condenser

Based on your experience, how much, if any, a soundhole pickup would affect the recording of a guitar using a mic or condenser?
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string
Old 07-22-2016, 12:36 AM

A negligible effect, as long as the pickup is secured properly to prevent any buzzing or rattling. Plus, if a close mic is used, it will typically be positioned closer to the soundboard than the soundhole, as well.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarplayer_PR View Post
Based on your experience, how much, if any, a soundhole pickup would affect the recording of a guitar using a mic or condenser?
Hi Gp
When I mic guitars for recording I never point them at the soundhole, so that should not be an issue.

However, if part of the soundhole is obscured, it might affect the acoustic performance of the guitar versus it not being blocked. What kind of soundhole pickup do you have in the guitar?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 07-22-2016, 09:21 AM

Either get a pickup with a removable cable, like the Baggs M1, or install a connector, 1/8' or mini xlr, somewhere along the cable of your current pickup.

It lets you remove the pickup when you need to and then you can just secure the lose cable inside the guitar with a small piece of velcro.
Old 07-22-2016, 10:32 AM

I'm using a D'Addario Black Angel soundhole pickup in my Martin CEO-7. The setup has a quick disconnect cable between the pickup and the jack at the bottom of the guitar and it's a piece of cake to remove the pickup if so desired. The cable just stays inside.

However, to my ear the pickup doesn't change the guitar's unamplified tone much at all. My default recording technique is a cardioid condenser mic about 8" from the 12th fret pointed slightly toward the lower bout.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Gp
When I mic guitars for recording I never point them at the soundhole, so that should not be an issue.

However, if part of the soundhole is obscured, it might affect the acoustic performance of the guitar versus it not being blocked. What kind of soundhole pickup do you have in the guitar?

Right now? None. I've used soundhole pickups on some acoustics (M1A), but have never used them for studio recording, just live.
-2020 Gibson Les Paul Special
-2019 Gibson Les Paul Studio
-2021 Fender Aerodyne Special Telecaster
-2022 Fender Telecaster 50s (Vintera)
-1994 Fender Telecaster Deluxe 70 (Vintera)
-Sire V5 5-string

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification