The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-17-2016, 10:48 AM

Default k&k preamp

Howdy. Ive been looking to buy a k&k preamp to use with the mini I just insatalled but it seems that they all run on a 9v w/o the option of a DC adapter. Is this accurate? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 07-17-2016, 12:54 PM

The onboard preamp (Pure Preamp) or the belt clip version (outboard) do not have that option. But, with a little DIY you can have whatever you want to have. Splicing in a 1/8th inch jack onto the onboard is not rocket surgery but you'll have to create it as a pig tailed jack that sits inside the guitar when not in use, or drill a mounting hole for it in the guitar adjacent to but outside the tail block. Or, find 4-conductor 1/4" jacks, plugs and cords and do the mods on your guitar and amp.

Or,

There's always the 9v battery route. I use the battery for the onboards and a wireless unit to the amp. I hate cords. The wireless transmitter eats the single AAA battery, or seems to, but I keep those stocked.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:18 PM

The battery only option is not necessarily a bad idea on small portable object like that.
No cables, no transformer, no power bar, no wall socket to look for, no ground hum to chase... Lot of plus.
Rechargeable batteries make that option even more desirable. Actually there is no reason to not use rechargeable (Ni-Mh for AA and AAA, Li-Ion for 9V).
I much prefer myself use batteries than lug a whole bunch of fragile cables and connectors.

AC/DC transformers make sense when you use several of those devices, like pedals and such. In that case it's better to have a central transformer powering all the devices.

Back to the OP : the K&K preamp is a small device designed to be clipped to the belt, hence the battery only choice. And, as previously said, quite easy to hack if you really want to power it with a DC transfo.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 07-17-2016, 01:29 PM
Charter Member

One of the reasons I bought the PURE XLR preamp... can be powered by phantom power, so I don't need batteries...

I will say that the K&K preamp works absolutely wonderfully with the K&K pickup... once the gain is dialed in, I hardly have to do anything with the EQ to achieve a great sound!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 07-17-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aping Leo View Post
Howdy. Ive been looking to buy a k&k preamp to use with the mini I just insatalled but it seems that they all run on a 9v w/o the option of a DC adapter. Is this accurate? Doesn't make sense to me.
If using the outside pre-amp like the one I have, it can be used with a 9 volt DC adaptor.

Take a look at their website. I did not know this when I bought mine, or I may have ordered it, but still only use battery, just remember to disconnect the cords to your guitar and amp, so as not to run the battery down if on battery power only, when not being played. I have the Pure Mini and the Trinity Pro mic mounted in my Martin. They work great.
http://kksound.com/products/powersupply.php#simple1

If a snake falls into your boat, for Gods sake, don't shoot it.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:54 PM

I found it very easy to make an outside DC-connection by clipping a short adapter cable on the inside battery grip. There is even a predrilled notch for the cable in the back wall of the preamp.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 07-17-2016, 04:57 PM

i too use the pure xlr...48v phantom ..if i look down and don't see the light then i know the phantom is turned off.
Old 07-17-2016, 06:53 PM

I have a pure preamp, the belt clip kind. I mounted it on my pedalboard and use a 9 volt adapter like this. No issues with mine. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...d0kaAlQm8P8HAQ
Old 07-18-2016, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I have a pure preamp, the belt clip kind. I mounted it on my pedalboard and use a 9 volt adapter like this. No issues with mine. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...d0kaAlQm8P8HAQ
I like this route. Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I love this place!
Old 07-23-2016, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

It's easier to use the K&K with the battery because the batteries last a long time and you don't have to have extra accessories. Look at it like you were playing a guitar that had the built in preamp with a battery, no difference.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification