The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-15-2016, 04:39 AM

Smile

Hi guys.
I vote for the AER Compact 60/3.

I use to have a ACUS One 6. It was a great speaker with lovely bottom end. The Reverb was quite basic.
I think for starters I shouldn't compare the Acus One 6 to the AER as one has a 6 inch woofer and one has a 8 inch woofer.

Anyway when I compared them side by side the AER had much better projection, it seemed to fill out the room more where as the Acus though nice sounding it didn't fill out the room.

The specs states that the Acus is 100 watts .The AER is only 60 watts but felt much louder and sweeter to my ears.
As I busker for a living I found the Acus sucked up more of my battery power fairly quicky where as I got a good 6 - 8 hours from my AER.

I haven't yet tried the Acus One 8 that would probably be a better comparison as it's an 8 inch woofer.
The eq and Reverb is much better on the AER. The AER may not have enough bass but it depends what guitar you have . I use a Yamaha LJ16 with LR baggs anthem pick up and the bass sounds sweet.

Lastly the weight issue the 10 kilos of the Acus is quite heavy compared to the 6 kilo from the AER.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:10 AM

As I get older weight plays a part in my
Desicions on sound equipment.part of the reason
I sold my k12 for a k10. Although only a 10-12 lb diff.
The bulk of the k10 makes it so much easier
To carry. The aer in my mind was a compromise.
For what I lost in sound quality I gained in
Less bulk/weight.but also a lot less bass response.
Too much in my opinion.I think acus' sub and the
Aer might be a nice combo.but then your back
To weight again.but that sub sounds so sweet.
Look up acus stage on YouTube .check out
Erwin von ligden demoing acus .the sub
Has a switch on the back to crossover at 90 or
140 hz....sweet...
Old 07-15-2016, 07:16 AM

Hi Varmonter
What's the weight of the Acus Sub..?
I noticed you use K10. I use to have a K8 that was nice. I am tempted to get the K10 also for small gigs. I may do eventually and combine it with my AER

Dave
Old 07-16-2016, 03:56 AM

Acus sub is 32 lbs 500 w.I do prefer the k10 to the
Aer c60.I just feel the aer is too much of a
Size for sound compromise. Qsc is 1000 watts
This helps in venues (most) where you can't
Turn the aer up enough to optimise the sound.
Wattage gives you better quality at a lower volume.
You may find you'll leave the aer home after
You listen to the k 10. Or use it as a monitor.
All that high end sparkle cuts the mix and makes
It a great monitor. K10 is cheaper.but you need a board.

Last edited by varmonter; 07-16-2016 at 04:07 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Blues View Post
Hi guys.
I vote for the AER Compact 60/3.

I use to have a ACUS One 6. It was a great speaker with lovely bottom end. The Reverb was quite basic.
I think for starters I shouldn't compare the Acus One 6 to the AER as one has a 6 inch woofer and one has a 8 inch woofer.

Anyway when I compared them side by side the AER had much better projection, it seemed to fill out the room more where as the Acus though nice sounding it didn't fill out the room.

The specs states that the Acus is 100 watts .The AER is only 60 watts but felt much louder and sweeter to my ears.
As I busker for a living I found the Acus sucked up more of my battery power fairly quicky where as I got a good 6 - 8 hours from my AER.

I haven't yet tried the Acus One 8 that would probably be a better comparison as it's an 8 inch woofer.
The eq and Reverb is much better on the AER. The AER may not have enough bass but it depends what guitar you have . I use a Yamaha LJ16 with LR baggs anthem pick up and the bass sounds sweet.

Lastly the weight issue the 10 kilos of the Acus is quite heavy compared to the 6 kilo from the AER.
Thanks for the input. I originally was going to get the Acus 6 but decided on the Simon 8 which is the same but it will tilt back. Just curious what you used for a battery source. I was looking at some PC battery back ups and wondered if those would work?
Old 07-17-2016, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
In these demos the Acus sounds warmer, richer.
I am still on the fence, but I am leaning towards the ACUS. Nicer looking cabinet, independent 4 band EQs for each channel.

I'm thinking of the getting Acus one 6, smaller, lighter, don't think I would need the extra channel or 200 watts.

Sorry. You cannot tell how amazing the fidelity of the AER is from videos with microscopic computer speakets
Old 07-17-2016, 07:26 AM

Actually I am listening using a decent quality outboard D/A converter, a dedicated power amp and decent quality pro audio speakers. There clearly is a difference in the sound of the two amps. While there may be problems on the production end I cannot account for, there is not a problem on the listening end.

Of course that is just me and my set up. I am not sure how you reached your conclusion about listening environments for everyone who might be listening. I can say that character of the sound differences between the amps in both videos is very similar. And the videos are clearly from independent sources using separate production techniques.

I can't recommend videos as a sole means to judge how a system will work for a player, but these videos do seem to convey consistent information about differences. Beyond that, everyone sorts it out their own way.

hunter
Old 07-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
Sorry. You cannot tell how amazing the fidelity of the AER is from videos with microscopic computer speakets
Sorry you didn't read my post. My buddy owns one, which lead me to almost buying one. I've played thru it several times with his guitars and mine as well.

There is a boxy sound I'm hearing. I stated its a great amp, light compact, but it's not my cup of tea at the moment.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarasin View Post
Thanks for the input. I originally was going to get the Acus 6 but decided on the Simon 8 which is the same but it will tilt back. Just curious what you used for a battery source. I was looking at some PC battery back ups and wondered if those would work?
Let us know how you like the simon..?
I too am leaning (no pun) that way myself.
I need to sell my aer first.
In a band situation this would make a
Good monitor.I am especially curious
If the angled speaker changes the bass
Response at all..let us know..thx
Old 07-23-2016, 08:29 PM

here is a link to the same fellow playing just an aer demo..
in defense of the aer..this sounds much better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zt85l-4B_7c

and the same fellow playing an acus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjTdPH2u7LY

i guess i will cry foul after all..
Old 07-24-2016, 04:14 AM

This is much more representative of what I hear from my AER. It's big, bold tone yet very delicate and clear. In this case stronger that the Acus which in comprisemeant sounds to my ears thinner and not as complex.

I did a gig with the AER in a courtyard this week and after recorded the barman jamming, you can see how big and full the AER sounds for such a small box.

https://youtu.be/1haEmhzyyXE

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 07-24-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmonter View Post

Acus still sounded better to me. I was comparing both videos when he was playing Fields of Barley.

To be honest, both amps sound great, just different flavors.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 PM

Just checked out that recent video with the AER and thathe to me sounds right. The AER sounds lush and beautiful. I was very impressed with the Zoom H6 he used for recording.

I used my AER in a pub gig that I played this afternoon. The AER clearly did the job. I used my red eye preamp on my guitar as well as the Wampler Faux Reverb pedale. On vocals I used my Heil PR 35 and that mic is amazing it cut though nicely.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:57 AM

I've been considering the Acus 8 myself and I am wondering if you received yours yet. If so how do you like it and how does it sound compared to the AER? Thanks!
Old 01-14-2019, 07:16 AM

I received an Acus one 8 Simon last week. It is a HI-FI monitor with an onboard mixer. I use it only for voices. It's incredible. I use it at low volume, but i have plenty of details. It sounds like my voice sounds. The twitter and the 8 inch speaker are greatly balanced.

It's a pity it doesn't have Bluetooth, but i will survive

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification