The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-15-2016, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Default NAD: Carvin AG200 in Country Western (brown)

UPDATE! Here's a sound clip I recorded of my two guitars playing through the Carvin. One is a Martin UMGF 00-18VS and the other is a Santa Cruz OO. Both have K&K's installed by the same guitar tech and both have the same strings. In my opinion the Martin is drier and woodier with pronounced mids and recessed highs. The Santa Cruz is definitely louder than the Martin, clear and bell-like, especially the highs which sparkle. The mids are recessed and the low about the same. Both guitars are plugged straight into channel 2 on the amp with no external signal processing. The EQ is set to my 'usual' acoustic amp settings, highs dialed up, lows back off a bit and mids dialed way out. Some reverb added. It's a great sounding amp - very natural. You can definitely hear the difference between the two guitars - the dry woodiness with pronounced mids of the hog Martin and the clear, bell-like tones and scooped mids of the Santa Cruz rosewood.

To quote a line from That 70's Show, "Funny story, true story..."

A month or so back I opined on a long Amp thread in this subforum that I was looking for a new, small amp to replace my current two amp set up, a Fishman SA220 and a Fishman Artist. I had narrowed it down to three or four amps and after detailing exactly what I was looking for, the Carvin AG200 seemed to fit the bill the most. So I went to their website and this was right at the beginning of the Memorial Day weekend and they were having a big sale so even better for me. I had some questions and was having a little difficulty with their online ordering system so I called them. You can tell they are in So Cal as every time I call I get Eric who calls me 'Dude'...

I wanted an AG200 but I wanted the Country Western (brown) custom finish because I think it looks cool, kinda classy and very 'acoustic'. It's only a $50 upcharge for the custom covering which is not bad with the only down side being that it adds 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. I placed the order and noticed that it didn't charge me for the custom cover. So I called and got Eric - again - and again it was "Dude..." I relayed the issue and he said they were super busy due to the sale and they were experiencing issues with online ordering but no worries, they would not charge me for the custom covering. Bonus!

So I set about waiting for the amp to come in 2 to 3 weeks and a few days later it shows up! Except it's not the custom covering, it's the plain brown model, which by they way is very attractive. I call them up and get Eric - again - and again it's "Dude..." I explain the issue and he apologizes and says they'll put a rush order on the correct one and to just send the wrong one back. Again, no charge for the custom covering, no charge for the return shipping. Cool.

I spend the week playing with the wrong amp and get to know it and then I get the correct one today. Both are identical except for the covering. I like the amp a lot. It's small and light weight - lighter than the Fishman Artist - but it has a lot of power and a ton of features for such a small and relatively inexpensive package. Three channels, 200 watt, full EQ with sweepable mids, 48v phantom power, Hi Z and Gain on two of the channels with dual XLR and 1/4" inputs, two effects channels with multiple effects, effects loop, turner/headphone out, DI direct XLR out with level, external speaker out, heck - there's even a USB charge port. They cram an awful lot into these small packages! Dual 6.5" drivers with 3" titanium tweeter, 2 handles - one a tilt-back type, feet on two surfaces, pole mount. This is a LOT of amp for the money, especially since it's made in the USA.

Plugged it in and it takes a while to get used to the controls and find settings that I like for both guitar and vocals. This is more of a half a PA. It's a very transparent sound, not a lot of coloring like I'm used to with the Fishman amps. There is not as much low-end as I'd hoped for but part of this is because I play 00 12-fret guitars. I could have gone with the AG300 and the 12" speaker would have given me more low end but it's bigger, heavier and more expensive. There was a trade off and I wanted smaller and lighter.

Even though I've had the system for a couple weeks I'm still finding new and cool things as I tweak and try different inputs. One thing I wish it did have is a dedicated notch/feedback control. Carvin markets their sweepable mid control as a "Resonant-style midrange filter for feedback control". We have not had a feedback issue so it's not a problem but I did encounter a rogue tone when capo'd at the third fret that seemed to take me forever to dial out with the mid sweep. Also, that mid sweep seems to affect the whole signal chain as evidenced when I dialed all the mids out completely and played with the mid sweep. I had assumed it only would affect the mids and not the hi or lo settings. Hmm.

Anyway, I like the system well enough to keep it. It gives us what we are looking for so now I'm selling both my SA200 and Artist. We loved the SA220 but we are redoing the whole house and downsizing everything. I originally bought the SA220 to use playing out but the reality is that we never play out except for open mics where PA's are provided. So we don't need such a large system for our little living room. And if there ever comes a time when we do decide to play out we can pick up a Carvin extension cab and we'll have a small PA.

Here's some photos of the Country Western finish:

Last edited by Methos1979; 06-28-2016 at 09:53 PM.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2016, 06:51 PM

Hey, thanks for that review and photos. I'm really leaning toward a Carvin (likely an AG300) for my next amp, but it's difficult when you can't simply go to a dealer and try one out to first see if you like it. And I hate the hassle of returning things especially since I live out in the boondocks. I still really like and am pleased with my Marshall AS50D and will keep it, but variety is the spice of life
Old 06-15-2016, 06:55 PM

Good looking amp. I've heard good things about the sound too. Congrats
Old 06-15-2016, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Dude! ( Sorry couldn't help myself)

Good review, nice looking amp, all the best with it!
Old 06-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

The AG 300 would give you the bass for sure. The speaker configuration is identical to one of their bass amps.Like you say, compromise. I think it's too heavy every time out, but then I play through it.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 06-16-2016, 05:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
The AG 300 would give you the bass for sure. The speaker configuration is identical to one of their bass amps.Like you say, compromise. I think it's too heavy every time out, but then I play through it.
Yeah, I think if we were actually playing out I would have gone with the AG300 (or actually just stayed with the SA220). But since we only practice in our home these days the AG200 is giving us what we need. A good part of the equation is the 00-size 12 fret guitars. They just don't generate a lot of bottom end so there's not much to work with. I have a Rainsong APLE that has a lot of bottom end to it due to the unilateral top construction and that comes through way more prevalent than the two 00's.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
Update: I recently revamped the 'music corner' of our living room where we play and removed the coffee table that I had the Carvin sitting on and dropped it to just sitting on the floor with the tilt-back handle engaged and the bass is no MUCH better. So while the AG300 would certainly still give way more low end, the AG200 gives us more than enough of what we need.

Along with the revamp of the corner I simplified down to the bare essentials and removed ALL of my pedals (just too many friggin' cables!) and now I just have the guitar going straight into the 1/4" jack. I'm able to get a very nice tone straight in although I am pretty much maxed out on my EQ'ing. I might try a Venue as some point just to have some addition EQ'ing as well as a mute and built-in tuner.
Old 06-19-2016, 11:30 AM

I laughed when I read the first post. I spent some time on the phone with the same Dude-ing guy at Carvin last week. "Hang on Dude, I need to talk to my manager about that" etc.

It reminded me of a story my nephew told me about one of his (then) teenage friends who used to call my sister-in-law Dude all the time, until my nephew finally said to him, "You do realize that my mom's a she, right?"

My AG300 should arrive this week. The dude at Carvin convinced me that it would be better for strumming.

Last edited by Long Road Home; 06-19-2016 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 AM
Charter Member

Final update: We moved the music corner once again in our living room to the opposite wall. The Carvin now resides under the desk near where the guitars are hanging so that's convenient. The amp lays on it's side so access to the panel is convenient. The Carvin's are set up so that they can be set standing straight up with feet on the bottom (plus the tilt-back handle) and the inputs on the top or it can be laid on its side where another set of feet reside along with a pole mount hole, a handle on the top for carrying and the inputs on the side for easier access when you pole mount, or in our case have it pooka'd away under a desk!

In this configuration it takes up no room and fills a small dead space that was not being used. Being under the desk will give it protection from dust and accidental/incidental contact. We are still running the amp with only just single inputs from the guitar and the mic. We currently have NO effects or pre-amps of any kind and the amp sounds great. I took the time to really sit down and dial in great tones for both the guitar and my wife's vocals using only the on-board Carvin EQ and effects. We are only using reverb and again, it sounds great. I am really loving not having a ton of cables laying all over the place. Since it's just two cables, we remove and store them in the desk when not playing which keeps the area looking clean and tidy.

I am considering adding one pedal though for the guitar at some point soon, a Baggs Venue. Mostly for the mute, tuner and ability to do minor tweaking of the EQ when I swap between the rosewood and hog guitars. It's mostly just a convenience factor at home (not having to bend down and manipulate the controls) and then a big bonus when we go to open mics so I can mute/tune/EQ tweak for those performances as the sound guy always leaves me too dark for my fingerstyle playing, IMO.

In summary we are very happy with this purchase. At just over $400 we got a small, lightweight, good looking acoustic amplifier that as an incredibly useful and powerful input feature set. Plus, it's actually made right here in the USA. This amp is easy to haul around, hide in a small place and has a very big, clean and natural sound. For those that wonder about the sound of the Carvins it is more transparent and reference sounding. A Carvin amp alone is more a 1/2 PA. Add an extension cab and you've pretty much got yourself a small, portable full PA system. As before we continue to love this little amp and whole-heartedly recommend Carvin as a good source for your amplification needs.

A couple photos of its new location to follow.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-27-2016, 06:52 AM

Have you seen the custom case that comes with the SCGC Brad Paisley dreadnought? It would make a great match!

Congrats. Looks like a nice PA/amp
Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitararmy View Post
Have you seen the custom case that comes with the SCGC Brad Paisley dreadnought? It would make a great match!

Congrats. Looks like a nice PA/amp
Lol - yes, I have! I loved that case even before I saw this covering for the Carvin amps! I just wish they offered that for their other guitars, not that the Ameritage case I have isn't also an incredibly good looking and outstanding case. But for me guitar cases always just go into storage anyway. The guitars get hung on the wall and when taken out they go into a Gator Ultimate Go-Pro gig bag, so for me it would be a waste anyway!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM

You made an excellent choice. I've had the AG 200 w/ ext. speaker for about 2 years, and it's become the Workhorse of the collection. Excellent investment in sound!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aknow View Post
You made an excellent choice. I've had the AG 200 w/ ext. speaker for about 2 years, and it's become the Workhorse of the collection. Excellent investment in sound!
Thanks. Since you have it, I have a couple questions about the external speaker, if you don't mind. I was just looking on the Carvin website and they only show the one external speaker which seems to have a size and configuration similar to the AG300. In the little video capture of the woman playing the Taylor outside she seems to have a external cab that looks like it's the same size as the AG200. Do they make a external cab with dimensions similar to the AG200 or is the one shown all they have? What is yours? How do you set your up? Like she does - AG200 down and tilted point a little toward you with the ext cab on a pole?

We are not where we need to be to need an external cab just yet but if we ever do I'd like to know what I'm looking at. Thanks for any info.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification