The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 AM
Guest 2223

Default Trance Amulet users help please

I recently had an Amulet M installed in my Collings Dread because I was amazed at the amazing tone I got running this pickup in my J45. Upon installation in my D1 I noticed the tone was pleasing and for the most part very even. After playing a few gigs and practicing amplified I am finding that the Low E does not have as much presence as the rest of the strings. This was not an issue in my J45 and I am almost certain that for it to be affecting only a single string it must be a placement issue. When playing unplugged the low e has a thump and presence that is very up front but when plugged in it seems to be taking a back seat to the A. Any long time users or tinkerers have any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2016, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

I would guess the upper sensor is not well placed , have a look inside...
Old 07-20-2016, 09:36 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
I recently had an Amulet M installed in my Collings Dread because I was amazed at the amazing tone I got running this pickup in my J45. Upon installation in my D1 I noticed the tone was pleasing and for the most part very even. After playing a few gigs and practicing amplified I am finding that the Low E does not have as much presence as the rest of the strings. This was not an issue in my J45 and I am almost certain that for it to be affecting only a single string it must be a placement issue. When playing unplugged the low e has a thump and presence that is very up front but when plugged in it seems to be taking a back seat to the A. Any long time users or tinkerers have any suggestions? Thanks.
If your bridgeplate is 100% clean and free of voids or divots (yes, I've encountered divots in some Gibson bridgeplates), it's one of two things:
  • incorrect placement
  • inadequate adhesion time

If you allowed each lens to bond with the bridgeplate for 8 hours under clamp pressure, and the other strings sound loud, fat and have good feedback resistance, it's likely the placement of the bass side lens.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 07-20-2016, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
The main options are to try to EQ it, or adjust the placement of the transducers. All SBTs are quite sensitive to placement, a hair one way or another can change the tone and string balance.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Last week, I relocated the Bass-side Amulet in my HD-28 about 1/32" more toward the soundhole and 1/32" further under the 6th-string and noticed an improvement in tone over the previous installation I did a month or so ago. Now, although my overall tone is really good, I just may move the Treble-side Amulet in similar fashion but more under the 1st-string. The "permanent adhesive" is a two-edged sword: It makes it easy to relocate the Amulets, and because of this, you just may feel compelled to chase tone by relocating the Amulets, and relocating the Amulets, and relocating the Amulets ... but what a great option to have!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 07-22-2016, 02:07 PM
Guest 2223

I just got back into the United States after being away for a few weeks on work. Had a nice voicemail from Gary waiting for me basically describing that I should try positioning the bass side lens more towards the low e. It will be a while before I can try this but luckily no gigs for the foreseeable future as I am swamped with the day job

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification