The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2016, 04:40 PM

Default PA Speaker for Acoustic Guitar

Anyone want to comment on this discontinued but still available as used JBL speaker?

Coolest speaker design I have come across to date, JBL EON15 G2

Uses a massive, rigid cast frame for the woofer that is moulded into the front panel to make it a Huge heatsink, no cooling fan(s) needed even when pumping at full volume, frequency response is 42Hz - 17kHz (±3 dB), rated 400W rms (300W woofer, 100W horn) and built tank-tough; bulletproof

Would likely use them as a PA for small to medium venues and/or for use as an acoustic guitar stage amp (has built-in DI XLR port) or floor monitor

here's a look inside:

Old 07-19-2016, 08:01 PM

A dozen or so years ago, I bought two of the JBL EON G2s to use as main speakers in a church's youth center, probably about 50' x 25'. The last I heard, they were still working fine. They probably seldom ever need to be turned up past 60%, even for the volumes that kids like. They are not as clear and clean as some other speakers, but a decent mixer and careful EQ, they do the job quite nicely. They've proven to be a wise purchase.

cotten
Old 07-19-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotten View Post
A dozen or so years ago, I bought two of the JBL EON G2s to use as main speakers in a church's youth center, probably about 50' x 25'. The last I heard, they were still working fine. They probably seldom ever need to be turned up past 60%, even for the volumes that kids like. They are not as clear and clean as some other speakers, but a decent mixer and careful EQ, they do the job quite nicely. They've proven to be a wise purchase.

cotten
not sure what you mean by 'clear' and 'clean' compared to other speakers. Can you please elaborate?
Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 PM

I have friends who like the somewhat flatter response curve of some other speakers more than that of the G2s. I've listened to theirs and had to agree, at least until they told me how much more theirs had cost. For my purposes, the G2s have proved to be a wise purchase, though I left that church for another position almost nine years ago. Those speakers are still going strong, despite having been used many times for camps, picnics, etc., beyond just the youth center. I tend to use my ears more than a spec sheet, and those two G2s' ruggedness, tone, power, and features mean that they were still a good buy.

cotten
Old 07-20-2016, 08:55 PM

thanks for the clarification Cotton, and your opinion about how they sound

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification