The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-19-2016, 02:07 AM

Default A newbie with electronics, advice please.

Hello, I suspect this has come up before, the search didn’t lead me to a link for a similar problem. Apologies in advance if this has come up before, if it has, could someone refer me to the link, please.

I recently installed a B-band under saddle mic and preamp on my acoustic guitar. I tested the result on my small amplifier, the mic and preamp seemed to work fine. However, my Peterson’s tuner doesn’t respond to the plugged string, unless I touch the guitar’s output jack! The tuner works fine with my second guitar, so the problem is not with the tuner.

I am guessing that the problem is the guitar’s output jack or the cable leading from the output jack to the preamp. However, I can’t figure out how the guitar is amplified nicely when plugged into my amplifier through the same output jack that needs touching before the tuner recognizes the note! Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 07-20-2016, 07:41 AM

Seems like a ground issue to me.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:16 AM

Thanks, I just now figured out the problem .. the under saddle mic was bad to some degree! ''to some degree'', because sound was coming loud and clear from the speakers, but wasn't being picked up by the tuner! Once I changed the mic the tuner started to respond. Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification