The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-28-2016, 07:49 PM

Default Would John Pearse Acoustic nickel strings work okay with an electric magentic pickup?

I'm thinking of putting these on my Godin Multiac Spectrum. Would they be the same as electric strings in terms of getting the same output from the electric Seymour Duncan lipstick neck pickup?

Old 04-29-2016, 08:27 AM

These should be essentially the same as pure nickel electric guitar strings in 0.12's which I use on my Kingpin with P90's and my Strat. Give them a try it seems like they are trying to find a wider market for their pure nickel wound strings.

Martin Retro Monels also work fine with the P90.
Old 04-29-2016, 12:19 PM

Okay, thanks. I got two sets online as an experiment. I thought the same as you - that they should work fine. If not, I'll see how the other set sounds on one of my acoustics.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:02 AM

Is it at all verifiable that those strings are in fact 100% nickel?

And i'm curious about this. What would the supposed gain be of pure nickel wire? I'm no metallurgist, but normal drawn and tempered steel wire works pretty well for everything from banjos to pianos to guitars and everything in between.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:56 AM

I feel sure that the "pure nickel" product labeling has less to do with the purity of the nickel than to differentiate this product from the much more common nickel plated steel wrap used on electric guitar strings that became popular in the 1960's. The unwrapped strings in a "pure nickel" set are plain steel. Here's a quote from an article about this:

"The most noticeable difference between string sets is often found in the wound strings. Pure nickel-wound strings offer a warm, round, vintage-style tone. Strings wound with nickel-plated steel wraps are a little brighter and louder than pure nickel, while even harder metals—such as chrome and stainless steel— are brighter still."

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars