The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-24-2016, 05:26 PM

Default Anyone used the Boss JS-10 Audio Player and Trainer?

This looks like an interesting tool for the solo electric guitar player. Does anyone have any experience of it?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQmSaQodAEwAJg
Old 04-24-2016, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
This looks like an interesting tool for the solo electric guitar player. Does anyone have any experience of it?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/deta...FQmSaQodAEwAJg
Looks pricey. There are, or were units that did/do the same thing for half the price, with less effects. I used to own a boss product that did this with a CD.

Are they good? Well, it really depends on what else you want to do. You can accomplish pretty much the same thing with a cheap recording interface (often on closeout for $80 or less on Musicians Friend) and Garageband which you have for free if you have a mac.

I would certainly look for a less feature-loaded model and save some coin if I wanted a portable stand alone unit that does what this does.

The tascam is $109 right now, which probably means it's about to be discontinued.
Old 04-24-2016, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
Looks pricey. There are, or were units that did/do the same thing for half the price, with less effects. I used to own a boss product that did this with a CD.

Are they good? Well, it really depends on what else you want to do. You can accomplish pretty much the same thing with a cheap recording interface (often on closeout for $80 or less on Musicians Friend) and Garageband which you have for free if you have a mac.

I would certainly look for a less feature-loaded model and save some coin if I wanted a portable stand alone unit that does what this does.

The tascam is $109 right now, which probably means it's about to be discontinued.
Yes, the cost is a bit daunting. There is an earlier version of it called the JS-8, which comes out at less than half the price of the 10. I googled what differences there were, and the most significant one, as far as I could see, was that the 10 seems to be a quality amp in its own right, whereas the 8 does not.

I have to say I'm quite tempted for the moment. I've started getting into lead guitar playing, and something like this, with no fuss or 'laying down tracks' seems good for getting an instant backtrack for jamming along to.
Old 04-24-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Yes, the cost is a bit daunting. There is an earlier version of it called the JS-8, which comes out at less than half the price of the 10. I googled what differences there were, and the most significant one, as far as I could see, was that the 10 seems to be a quality amp in its own right, whereas the 8 does not.

I have to say I'm quite tempted for the moment. I've started getting into lead guitar playing, and something like this, with no fuss or 'laying down tracks' seems good for getting an instant backtrack for jamming along to.
Also good for learning difficult things you have a hard time hearing. And most importantly feeling. Very useful for those rhythms you have hard time incorporating into your playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars