The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-20-2016, 04:24 PM

I think the reason these were unpopular was that they were rolling these out at a time when painted graphics, one humbucker and one volume knob, and a whammy bar, were becoming the rage. Or you went the BC Rich direction.

I actually don't mind the body shape, in fact it looks pretty cool. The headstock however? I'd have rather they slapped the paddle headstock on, that would have been cool! Or even a slot-head, or Stauffer style headstock!
Old 04-23-2016, 07:44 PM

I'll probably get skewered for pulling up a 3 year old thread, but....

I found this beauty in a pawn shop this week. I had read about, seen a few pictures, but had never actually seen a Martin electric.

Having 19 acoustics, and previously no electrics (but I do have a working 1947 Gibson BR-6 amp) I've never really had an interest in electrics since about 30 years ago when I was in my 20's.

I ended up bringing it home for $50. Re-soldered the rear pickup to get it working, and cleaned up the solder joints on the 1/4 inch jack. She plays great IMO, but I've got nothing to compare it to. I do like the neck, 1 5/8" nut, maple, very shallow C, and fast.

I found the exact bridge and will be replacing that and the tremolo bar, due to some very minor corrosion and pitting, but other than that she's in great shape for her age.

IMG_20160422_151946.jpg

IMG_20160422_152014.jpg

IMG_20160107_172552.jpg

IMG_20160107_172517.jpg
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL
Old 05-03-2016, 01:09 PM

Default Hi Dru

...sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

As for the weight of my Martin electric - I have only played two others over the years and they were both quite heavy. I personally don't mind. The resonance and sustain are well worth it!

On the Tommy Shaws, they are very much like the better of the PAFs from the old days. The ones on my 335 are well broken in and have super tone for everything from Rush to straight ahead jazz.
Old 05-04-2016, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmazz1966 View Post
...sorry for taking so long to get back to you.

As for the weight of my Martin electric - I have only played two others over the years and they were both quite heavy. I personally don't mind. The resonance and sustain are well worth it!

On the Tommy Shaws, they are very much like the better of the PAFs from the old days. The ones on my 335 are well broken in and have super tone for everything from Rush to straight ahead jazz.
Thanks for the info. I kind of figured the Shaws would be a PAF type, or a slightly hot PAF but I've never played one before.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:46 PM

I remember the EMs being in the catalog when I was a teenager and wanting one really, really badly. I swear I remember it being in a black finish, but I can't find a picture of one (though I didn't look too hard).

The thing I loved about it? The headstock!

The 60's electric Martins (the GTs, I think)...Jackson Browne's been playing one lately, and it sounds pretty good. They have an awesome retro look.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars