The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
......The Varnish I use is a simple "short oil" varnish, .......
Bruce,
I love the look of your finish. It has a beautiful natural, organic glow. I think it is much nicer looking than nitro or the new catalyzed finishes.
I tried using Rockhard, but was not successful. I'm too impatient and could not find a good brush or technique to lay it on smooth enough. I put in many hours of work with nothing good to show for it. You got skills!
Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Brushing Varnish is a skill honed by many in the Yacht world. I imagine there is printed material on the subject, but I acquired my edge while living and working in Sausalito, Ca. The two major pieces are getting the viscosity right, which is acquired through trial and error as it is always changing, and brush technique.

Always work from one edge to the other.

One brush full at a time is laid on across the grain and then brushed through with the grain; one light stroke only is ideal for the second part. This is often called "tipping off". Of course I mean one stroke next to another across the width of the laid on area.

Always work in the full width, and subsequent brush loads are tipped off INTO the previous load. This way you never have to set the brush down into the wet varnish.

In reality this technique is not always possible, for instance where the neck joins the body If it is already attached, or around the sound hole. It is an art just to figure out the order of the application, sort of like painting a floor and not having to walk across it to get out of the room, but much more complicated.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 08-19-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:11 PM

Bruce - I don't know if its the catalpa, the varnish technique or the combination - but regardless I'll have to say that is one beautiful guitar. Very rich looking - organic is a good term for it. If this guitar ends up sounding as good as it looks, I'll wager you'll quickly add a sizeable queue to your backlog...
2008 ARK Cutaway
Old 08-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Hey Bruce, I have to agree with the above post about the look of the finish. I have decided to give varnish one more try as I know it is sonically more transparent than most other finishes I've experienced. I had some adhesion problems with the Rockhard but have ordered some Ace. Just have to build something to put it on. I think it lets more of the wood show thru and doesn't have the yellowness of the rockhard. Looking forward to giving it a go soon.
Anyway a great looking guitar and hopefully we'll get one of your tunes to listen to when all is said and done.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM
AGF Sponsor

This morning, Friday the 20th, I fretted her and just now stripped the finish to receive the bridge. I wish Spruce would strip so cleanly and easily! The neck took more back bend in the fretting than I normally get, hopefully because it is a little more flexible than Mahogany. If so, it should come back up under tension. If not, I'll have to pull the frets and reshape the fingerboard surface. I completely trust the truss rod I use to deal with backbend, but I do not use a double action as they are too finicky for my taste. Glue's heating!
Old 08-20-2010, 12:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Moving right along!
Old 08-20-2010, 01:57 PM

Default My, that's pretty...

Oops. Nothing like a joke where you blow your own punchline. See below

Last edited by Oakland; 08-20-2010 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:01 PM

Default My, that's pretty...

but the competition is giving you a run for the money in the all-catalpa department. Will yours come with a songbook?

"The artful Recording King acoustic guitar boasts a catalpa top, back, sides, and neck... Strap and songbook included."
Old 08-20-2010, 03:14 PM

It's progressing real nice , Bruce .. I do love the organic look that the varnish brings to your guitars..
Old 08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am willing to include a strap and a song book as well!

Is that a modern guitar? On a serious note, I believe I have seen Catalpa used in traditional Chinese instruments, and this might be the piece of evidence I have been looking for to show it is in their tradition.

The bridge is now glued on.

Last edited by Bruce Sexauer; 08-20-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:37 AM

Bruce, that varnish finish looks wonderful. It's got that organic quality reminiscent of a fine French Polish - except you've got the added benefit of much better durability. I haven't had the pleasure of experiencing one of your instruments first-hand but when I get a chance to attend one of the big guitar shows -- you can rest assured I will be making a beeline to your table.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:21 PM
AGF Sponsor

I am off to my high school reunion (with mixed feelings) today, but before I leave I want to share that she's strung up. I went to take a picture and found I'd left the camera plugged into the computer, so no battery. The sound is. . . much like any other guitar I make. A bit anti-climactic, but actually it's really good news because most of my guitars sound pretty doggone good to me, and this is no exception. I bought some new microphones I'm dying to try, and will supply photos and sound clip soon, with luck.
Old 08-21-2010, 05:02 PM

Excellent! Looking forward to the final pics and a soundclip. I sure love the look of that finished top - it looks like it has a shimmery quality to it.

09 Taylor 414ce LTD
Whole Slew of Telecasters
Old 08-24-2010, 10:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

For me, the photos are easier. Probably because I don't take them that seriously. A real photographer probably finds them as laughable as a seroious player must find my recording attempts. I am more aware of what a good recording sounds like than what a good photo looks like though, so here you go:

I put up a page at my site with more pictures, but am having trouble creating the clever link, so try http://sexauerluthier.com/FT-15-catalpa.html

I am working toward the sound clip . . .
Old 08-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Bruce, I think it looks wonderful.

The wood has the color of spruce with the grain of mahogany. I love the sheen. Just great! Thanks for sharing this foray into alternate wood with us.
Ibanez: 1980 AW-75 (Owari Asahi), 1982 M310 Maple series, 2012 AWS1000ECE Artwood Studio (MIC)
Favilla: ~1960 C-5 classical (NYC)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop