The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-12-2017, 11:50 PM

If you don’t want string buzz, switch to piano. Guitar is easy to play, but hard to play well. Four months does not a guitar player make. Keep practicing.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 10-13-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 AM

I think the best response heard above is when you here the string buzz stop at that chord and redo the change in slow motion and see if the buzz returns and look very hard at finger placement and angle of your knuckles. Then repeat at slower speeds to higher speed intervals.

Good luck.
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 10-13-2017, 02:48 AM
Guest 1511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyboi View Post

Also I can finger an F and a Bm bar chord with all strings ringing out properly but when I try to change to these chords in a song I end up with muted strings.
You may need a guitar with a wider nut. I'm too lazy to read all the replies (sorry folks, it's close to bedtime) so someone else may have said this already. If you have large fingers it can take a while to overcome this. I know a guy who has even bigger fingers than I do (and my fingers are pretty thick) yet he can play his Strat clean. I don't know how he does it, but he pulls it off, so in time you will be able to as well I'm sure.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by la palma C View Post
The point isn't to commit particular chord changes to muscle memory. The point is to work up the dexterity and ability to finger either of those chords quickly and cleanly in the context of a timed exercise.

Since you mention it though, at your stage you might maximize the efficiency of your practice time by splitting this up into two exercises -- one that switches between Bm and G or Bm and D, and another that switches between F and C or F and Am. Obviously you would get half as many reps on your problem chords for a given amount of time, but you would also be getting the feel of common chord changes in the process.
I know that isn't the point, but it will happen, anyway. I think it's more efficient to teach beginners changes they will actually use, but that's just my view. I think the difference in thinking may stem from two different ways of making changes. Many people teach beginners to pick up their whole hand and put it down in the shape of the chord and to do random chord changes. These people often seem to end up playing the same chord with the same fingering no matter what the context. Other people play using different fingerings for different contexts, using anchors to change, making their changes as efficient as possible, etc. and, if you do that, I think practicing changes you wouldn't use doesn't make so much sense. I prefer to practice chord changes by key, but I'm a late starter and wanted to be as efficient as possible.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 10-13-2017, 05:06 AM

Wow. Thanks for all the great feedback. Lots of good ideas. Good to know it’s about normal then. I thought I should be much more advanced at this stage.
Old 10-13-2017, 05:40 AM

Assuming your guitar is not in desperate need of a set-up, it sounds like you're doing fine. Keep at it and if it doesn't clear up soon post a video so we can see what's going on.

There are no instruments that are easy by the 5th month.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 10-13-2017, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Well I’ve been playing since the start of June this year and I practice at least 1 hour a night and even 2-3 hours on a weekend.

It’s frustrating that with so much practice I still have these problems. I’m worried that I might have gotten into some bad habits?
I'm going to offer a different perspective.

If one's goal is to progress as quickly as possible, practicing in the most effective way will speed one's progress. One-on-one, live lessons with a well-trained teacher is likely the best way of learning the most effective methods of practicing and progressing.

For a dedicated student practicing an hour everyday, it isn't unreasonable for that student to have advanced quite far in 5 or 6 months, well past the point of frequent buzzes. (Most guitar players are self-taught and simply accept their belief that it takes years and years of practice to reach basic levels of proficiency.)

Instrument setup plays an important role: a teacher who is well-versed in how a guitar should play can help guide the student in instrument selection and assessing basic setup.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:21 AM

Sometimes your progress can be limited by your instrument. I would suggest going to some guitar shops and trying a few guitars - perhaps some that would be a step up from what you have, or even two or three steps up from what you have.

Moving up in instrument quality can do several positive things for your paying.......
Seagull Natural Elements Dreadnaught
Taylor 418e
Taylor 514ce LTD
Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 PM

In addition to making sure you've got a perfectly setup guitar, using lighter gauge strings (since you're a beginner I'd assume you aren't playing 13's yet) I'd also make sure you're playing position isn't interfering.

Head up, back straight, shoulders square, neck at near 45 degrees, body (and fretboard) at a right angle to the floor (not rolled back so you can see the strings), thumb flat on the middle of the back of the neck (not rolling it toward the headstock), fingers comfortably arched over the strings with the tips only touching the strings. Make sure your elbow is tucked into your body, or you're hunching your shoulders (to look down at the guitar) or anything else, it'll make things harder for you to fret those barres cleanly.

Try making a barre by itself, then pluck each string in order letting them ring. If you can do that consistently, then start to add the other fingers. Concentrate on not losing any notes when you add additional fingers.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Guest3224

Fret closer to the fret. It solves 99% of these problems.
Do not fret a chord in the middle of two frets. Recipe for buzz and disaster.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:56 PM

My guitar is a Greg Bennet D7. I brought it second hand and took it to a local guy who did a setup on it. He filed down the saddle to lower the action.
I had Elixir Nanoweb 9s on my guitar at first then my LGS suggested phosphor bronze 10s and I didn’t like them and kept getting fret buz. So I went back to the Nanoweb but have now just realised after checking the empty packet that they gave me 10s instead of 9s.

I’m now thinking this is why I’m having some problems. I liked the feel of the 9s and the sound and did feel like they were easier to play than the 10s.

So first thing I’m going to do is go and get some 9s and see how that goes.

My electric has 10s also and I don’t like them on their either.

I must admit another problem I seem to have is that the guitar tends to slide out on my lap whilst I’m playing. It starts to turn out at the bottom Like it’s going to sit flat. I need to stop that too.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
My guitar is a Greg Bennet D7. I brought it second hand and took it to a local guy who did a setup on it. He filed down the saddle to lower the action.
I had Elixir Nanoweb 9s on my guitar at first then my LGS suggested phosphor bronze 10s and I didn’t like them and kept getting fret buz. So I went back to the Nanoweb but have now just realised after checking the empty packet that they gave me 10s instead of 9s.

I’m now thinking this is why I’m having some problems. I liked the feel of the 9s and the sound and did feel like they were easier to play than the 10s.

So first thing I’m going to do is go and get some 9s and see how that goes.

My electric has 10s also and I don’t like them on their either.

I must admit another problem I seem to have is that the guitar tends to slide out on my lap whilst I’m playing. It starts to turn out at the bottom Like it’s going to sit flat. I need tor stop that too.
Have to say, I've never heard of using 9's (or even 10's) on a dread. That's interesting. Maybe it's a common practice that I'm ignorant of.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that standing with a strap would help solve the slipping out of your lap problem. It's great for learning to play without watching the fretboard too.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 10-14-2017, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars+gems View Post
Have to say, I've never heard of using 9's (or even 10's) on a dread. That's interesting. Maybe it's a common practice that I'm ignorant of.

Anyway, just wanted to mention that standing with a strap would help solve the slipping out of your lap problem. It's great for learning to play without watching the fretboard too.
Ok so I may have stuffed that up. I thought for some reason I had 9s but the guy at the guitar store just told me that they dont have acoustic strings in 9. I could have sworn he said last time they had no 9s so gave me tens. And once before I did have 9s but I guess not..So anyway there goes that theory then..lol
Old 10-14-2017, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Ok so I may have stuffed that up. I thought for some reason I had 9s but the guy at the guitar store just told me that they dont have acoustic strings in 9. I could have sworn he said last time they had no 9s so gave me tens. And once before I did have 9s but I guess not..So anyway there goes that theory then..lol
Slightly heavier strings might actually be worth a try. I find they build up my fingers and callouses better and they are also better for detuning and capoing up with less risk of buzz.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)
Old 10-14-2017, 06:26 AM

One thing I've found that helps to build finger strength and dexterity is practicing some of the classical exercises.

Here's one I like:
Try putting your fingers on the third string (anywhere on the fretboard that is comfortable for you to have one finger per fret). Then, working in pairs, move one finger up to the 4th string, and one down to the second string at the same time, before returning to the 3rd string to rest. Do every combination of two fingers,(1st & 2nd, 1st & 3rd, 1st & 4th, 2nd & 3rd ...etc) and then practice moving up/down a jump of 2 strings, do every combination, and so on.

What I found by doing this is that I got more strength and dexterity in my fingers, but also I got far more accurate in placing my fingers where I intended to have them land, and it didn't really take all that long.

Also, you aren't really "playing" anything, so it's something you can do while watching TV or just relaxing, and still you'll be helping your guitar playing.

Just passing along something that helped me.

Patti

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write