The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott O View Post
@Kevwind - talk to your shop about different gaering options. They may be able to put a smaller chain ring up front to help climbing.
Thanks for the tip

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 09-14-2017, 09:52 PM

I have a Trek Cruiser bike. Big comfortable seat. Pure bliss as you go flying by me. It might even have a wine and iPad holder for all I know.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:12 AM

Sweet bike, the Specialized Roubaix is a great frame, with ultegra components you should be happy. Although I mountain bike some, I've always been more of a roadie, few things I like more than cycling. Hope you put some serious mileage on that bike.
Old 09-15-2017, 06:12 AM

I've re-thought my love of steel and bike prices. Even basic stuff is really good these days. We have 3 steel bikes we really love but now the fabrication and materials treatment makes really great AL bikes too.

Last night we had a bike trail fundraiser at the brewery near my home and local Pacific (Mongoose, Schwinn) was a sponsor. It was really entertaining to have their new 2018 product line there when the Thursday road and trail rides end. People worth $4000-$16,000+ on the hoof were laughing at Mongoose's presence and then shaking their heads in disbelief after hands on with $500 - $1700 bikes.

Like many consumer products, it's become so good and priced well that even entry level is amazing.

Listening to many describe their old bikes I chuckled and said just buy one of those Mongoose bikes so you get to modern geometry, tires, brakes etc.....
Old 09-28-2017, 06:09 AM
Charter Member

Having been part-owner of a small bike shop in the 70s and connected with cycling in various ways ever since, I guess I wasn't quite ready to call it a day as far as two-wheel recreation riding goes. I'm not going to go back to road riding and will stick to dedicated bike trails/paths but that includes the 50-some mile Capital Trail running from Richmond to Williamsburg, VA. What better way to get back to longer rides than a new "old" bike? I say old bike because I'm an old school cyclist so whatever I got had to have a steel, chrome-moly frame but I do like STI shifting much more than what we had back in the day. Also it had to be an old school brand, regardless of the Asian country where the bike was actually made.

And so I ordered a Motobecane Gran Premio COMP LTD with Shimano 30 Speed and Reynolds High Grade Steel frame and carbon fiber front fork. It looks like the perfect blend of old and new http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...remio_comp.htm

Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 09-28-2017 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2017, 03:03 PM

@KevWind, how many miles racked up?

We might have a possible NBD or NUBD (used) coming. I'm looking at winter beaters vs that class of bikes that are between a tourer and CX racer. Craigslist has a nice Soma, last year's Salsa Vayas are on closeout where I could trade one of the kids bike.

My hope is some more commuting will be better than gym membership. Last fall we sold the soul-less modern AL frame commuter we hated. Hose off internal gearing was the only redeeming thing about it.

BTW: Craigslist bike ads are more funny than guitar ads when it comes to optimistic sellers who are miles to even light years away from market reality. Especially funny when you see that 20+ year old and especially MTB with some idea of the time that didn't fly owned by the person who used it maybe 10-20 times.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Yeah - I'm a strictly paved rail trail guy too - way too many close calls in the past and too many people getting killed around here. Texting/distracted driving isn't helping the situation.
Yup, same here.

I have been riding and used to race since the late '80's and have been hit by cars/trucks 5 times in my life, 2 within the last 5 years and sooooo many more close calls in the last few years.

I only ride paved trails now. I still ride ~3,000 miles a year and fortunately, here in Germany, there are 1,000's of miles of paved trails all throughout the woods and mountains. It is a riders paradise (not to mention all of the amazing cyclosportifs they have--I rode the full Paris-Roubaix and the full Tour of Flanders cyclo's over here.)

Riding on trafficked roads is just too dangerous for me now.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brancher View Post
Not....

Nothing beats the feel of good ol' Reynolds 853 steel (sorry...)

If you don't believe me, try a Jamis or Trek 520 (or Surly LHT, Soma, .... ).

Apples and oranges....
Awesome! I have never been a fan of CF myself (although I know that some people just love it).

I have a steel 2006 Lemond Poprad CX, an Eddy Merckx 25th Anniversary Scandium Premium, a (more of a collectors item) 1993 steel Eddy Merckx Team issue Motorola with all '93 specs/parts and a new Hamspten Ti frame built by Eriksen with all Campag SR groupo (all other bikes are full Dura-Ace). All bikes are tubular wheelsets as well. No clinchers for me!

And, my coup de grace, I just had a 1985 Hinault 753 Reynolds tubing bike built up using all 1985 Campag SR parts using almost all NOS parts. Wheelset is also NOS (with new gumwalled tubs, of course). Found the unbuilt 753 Reynolds tubing in an old bike shop and had it built up at Bob Jackson's shop in England. It is my Eroica bike.

So, obviously, I love bikes even more than guitars, if that is allowed!
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
@KevWind, how many miles racked up?

We might have a possible NBD or NUBD (used) coming. I'm looking at winter beaters vs that class of bikes that are between a tourer and CX racer. Craigslist has a nice Soma, last year's Salsa Vayas are on closeout where I could trade one of the kids bike.

My hope is some more commuting will be better than gym membership. Last fall we sold the soul-less modern AL frame commuter we hated. Hose off internal gearing was the only redeeming thing about it.

BTW: Craigslist bike ads are more funny than guitar ads when it comes to optimistic sellers who are miles to even light years away from market reality. Especially funny when you see that 20+ year old and especially MTB with some idea of the time that didn't fly owned by the person who used it maybe 10-20 times.
Unfortunately the weather has been so rainy I have only been able to make about 4 rides so far ( so aprox 80). The bike is pretty cool, the dampened head tube, and seat tube flex design along with carbon frame itself make this bike as vibration free or more so than my MT bike with ft. shocks. And the narrow seat design is more comfortable towards the end of the ride . The shifting is really nice and the hydraulic disk brakes are fabulous more able to be applied in measured progressive manner than the manual disk brakes on my Mt. bike.
The only disappointment (well not disappointment so much but opposite of anticipated) is that because of the taller gearing even though it is slightly over 1/2 the weight of my Mt. bike... it is actually more work to ride up the 4 steep hills I ride . I may check out the gear change suggested by Scott O (or just man up get in better shape)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-06-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Unfortunately the weather has been so rainy I have only been able to make about 4 rides so far ( so aprox 80). The bike is pretty cool, the dampened head tube, and seat tube flex design along with carbon frame itself make this bike as vibration free or more so than my MT bike with ft. shocks. And the narrow seat design is more comfortable towards the end of the ride . The shifting is really nice and the hydraulic disk brakes are fabulous more able to be applied in measured progressive manner than the manual disk brakes on my Mt. bike.
The only disappointment (well not disappointment so much but opposite of anticipated) is that because of the taller gearing even though it is slightly over 1/2 the weight of my Mt. bike... it is actually more work to ride up the 4 steep hills I ride . I may check out the gear change suggested by Scott O (or just man up get in better shape)
It's probably not fair to compare your MTB if it's not a few years old or newer.

I'll add women up on the gears. Our obsession has a lot to do with a spouse who was really knocked down and is back strong from cancer and a hospital mistake. We're both riding taller gears than we had years ago. Still, you don't want to over do it. Some including mountain riders I know use the Shimano 11 speed with a bailout gear. I don't know if that's pure road or in-between setup you have.

I've not taken my road bike down from the hanger in maybe 3 years but am still interested in this class of light touring and gravel grinding bike and studded tires. I haven't figured out if it's smart, stupid or selfish, but I've built a lot of fitness this year and can't see joining a gym. The right bike will help.

Your comment on rain stands out. Some associates with the right bike and clothing are riding no matter what. I hope you're on it soon!
Old 10-06-2017, 11:36 AM

Very nice ride!
I started on road bikes (club racing) then went to mtb bikes (xc racing) and started when I started riding to work daily about 6 years ago bought my first non-race bike so I can totally appreciate your comments r.e a more your riding position (esp as I get a wee bit older)

Various stringed instruments
Old 10-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Have to say as well, I love the yellow & orange color!

Old 10-06-2017, 11:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmillbern View Post
Very nice ride!
I started on road bikes (club racing) then went to mtb bikes (xc racing) and started when I started riding to work daily about 6 years ago bought my first non-race bike so I can totally appreciate your comments r.e a more your riding position (esp as I get a wee bit older)

Pretty interesting front end .......

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 10-06-2017, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I like the look. I was wondering about durability, but so far so good... About 6k km on it with no problems

Old 10-06-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Canondale Lefty forks are very much proven. Two stanchion forks are almost always the air spring on one side and the damping cartridge on the other. I have a Pike with it's second none reputation that is so crazy strong for its weight that I'd have plenty of confidence with one stanchion.

I've had a plastic (composite) fork that also made me marvel at how good the better steel forks on road and touring bikes have been.

In all honesty, for a lot of my time as an enthusiast you had to have top tier stuff for good reliable performance. Now middle of the road has performance that is way beyond the best of a lot of old school stuff.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic