The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-17-2017, 10:15 AM

Rainsong CH-OM1100NS.... GLORIOUS, brilliant, full, and very well balanced tone. Rainsong definitely has tone mastered! And just as comfortable to play and as "playable" as a good traditional OM size guitar.

Emerald... beautifully crafted instruments. My newly arrived X7 Amber Artisan is a gem of a guitar and a wonderful size for playing on the sofa or in a recliner. It does not come close to the Rainsong for great tone, but it is a joy to play and very convenient due to such a small size.
Old 10-17-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Rainsong CH-OM1100NS.... GLORIOUS, brilliant, full, and very well balanced tone. Rainsong definitely has tone mastered! And just as comfortable to play and as "playable" as a good traditional OM size guitar.

Emerald... beautifully crafted instruments. My newly arrived X7 Amber Artisan is a gem of a guitar and a wonderful size for playing on the sofa or in a recliner. It does not come close to the Rainsong for great tone, but it is a joy to play and very convenient due to such a small size.
When comparing tone, it should be noted that the body of the Rainsong CH-OM1100NS is nearly 2 inches wider, 3 inches longer, and it is deeper than the X7. That's a significant difference in internal body volume. The Rainsong is a BIG guitar compared to the X7. Comparing tones of a big guitar and significantly smaller guitar is a bit apples and oranges, I think.

I do like the sound of the Rainsong, but for it's comparable size, the X7's tone and sound output is superb. With the included built in ergonomics, the very portable size, and the fact it's 100% carbon fiber (something I personally like), the X7 really shines for my needs.

Being affordable is icing on the cake.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
When comparing tone, it should be noted that the body of the Rainsong CH-OM1100NS is nearly 2 inches wider, 3 inches longer, and it is deeper than the X7. That's a significant difference in internal body volume. The Rainsong is a BIG guitar compared to the X7. Comparing tones of a big guitar and significantly smaller guitar is a bit apples and oranges, I think.

I do like the sound of the Rainsong, but for it's comparable size, the X7's tone and sound output is superb. With the included built in ergonomics, the very portable size, and the fact it's 100% carbon fiber (something I personally like), the X7 really shines for my needs.

Being affordable is icing on the cake.
Of course. I think most in this forum understand the difference in size between an X7 and an OM.

My comments aren't a slam on the X7. It's a beautiful little guitar that meets the very small size-need quite well! And with all things, when there are differences bringing some benefits, other benefits are typically compromised.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Of course. I think most in this forum understand the difference in size between an X7 and an OM.

My comments aren't a slam on the X7. It's a beautiful little guitar that meets the very small size-need quite well! And with all things, when there are differences bringing some benefits, other benefits are typically compromised.
I never referred to your comments as a "slam". I'm not sure how you are able to read that into my response.

As to most of the forum, I guess I'm not one of the majority. I really didn't know what the size of the Rainsong was till I looked it up. Thinking there might be someone else with similar limitations, I commented on the noticeable difference in body volume because I thought that was valuable to understand your comments.

The original question for this thread started with " . . . Has anyone here had an actual experience A/B ing Emerald and Rainsong guitars? . . . "

I inferred this was meaning guitars that had similar characteristics such as body size--but I realize it was my take on the meaning. It is not actually stated, so anything is possible.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:00 PM

I agree with you, the X7 has a pretty good tone for such a small instrument. It does sound like a small guitar, however. I think most who would choose an X7 do so primarily because they want a guitar of that size, not because it has superb tone. Size does matter when it comes to tone. And different people have different expectations of what they consider good tone to be.

The X20 would certainly have better and fuller tone than the X7, but it is also VERY much larger and in my view not a reasonable substitute for an X7-type application.

Tone is a very subjective matter. And compromises will always be made in one or more aspects whenever selecting an instrument for a particular attribute (small size, big tone, whatever) that one is seeking.

I think the X7 is a great little guitar, very well-made, and I'm enjoying mine, particularly for the utility (small and handy size) that it presents. I relax on sofas and in recliners much of the time and this instrument is especially well-suited to that application! And being CF, of course, there is no concern whatsoever about temperature nor humidity conditions.

In my experience comparing Emerald X20, X10, and X7 instruments to RainSong CH-WS, CH-OM, and CH-PA guitars, I think the RainSongs deliver better tone. That's not saying that the tone of the Emeralds is un-pleasing. And the guitars of each brand are quite different in shape and how they feel.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:56 PM

New Review of RainSong CH-PA and CH-OM. Pretty good review, though the video features fairly rudimentary and boring guitar playing which falls far short of displaying the kinds of sounds these guitars are capable of.

http://acousticguitar.com/gear-revie...eid=6ddb478aa3

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Guest 928

I've never felt that size limited tonal qualities. In my experience, the variables that produce good tone relate to type of wood , quality of build, strings, setup, and so forth. For example, I think the Blackbird nylon string Rider has tonal qualities the rival many larger guitars.

In my experience, size does tend to limit projection qualities. But even here, some of the small CF guitars are pushing air beyond what might be expected from their size.

Beyond tonal and projection qualities I believe that the most important factor of size is comfort--what fits the player.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I've never felt that size limited tonal qualities. In my experience, the variables that produce good tone relate to type of wood , quality of build, strings, setup, and so forth. For example, I think the Blackbird nylon string Rider has tonal qualities the rival many larger guitars.

In my experience, size does tend to limit projection qualities. But even here, some of the small CF guitars are pushing air beyond what might be expected from their size.

Beyond tonal and projection qualities I believe that the most important factor of size is comfort--what fits the player.
Evan... of course, I feel it goes without saying that size is only one of a number of very different factors which influence how a guitar sounds. I don't think anyone would even think of arguing otherwise.

As for "fit" - I do feel that choosing a size which fits the player comfortably is definitely a very important attribute of a guitar... right along with offering a tone that pleases the player. I wouldn't be happy with a guitar which sacrificed either of these two attributes significantly... I'd keep looking.

We're all a bit different in what we like, but for me, if I don't like how a guitar sounds, it doesn't matter how nicely it plays, nor how good it feels for comfort... I will seek out another option which pleases me tonally and also plays well and is comfortable.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
In my experience comparing Emerald X20, X10, and X7 instruments to RainSong CH-WS, CH-OM, and CH-PA guitars, I think the RainSongs deliver better tone. That's not saying that the tone of the Emeralds is un-pleasing. And the guitars of each brand are quite different in shape and how they feel.
I own an H-WS1000 and an X20, my experience has been the opposite of yours. And there lays the rub, we all have different ideas of what is "best"....my best is most likely not your best. Both VERY fine guitars, but the RS has not been getting any play. Perhaps my level of playing does not bring out the best in the RS. Or the Emerald.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:03 PM

DHart, what a beautiful photograph! It makes me miss life in the Sonoran desert, and seriously stokes the GAS for an amber X7 Artisan. Brilliant shot.

I agree with Evan and Jdinco, it's the gel factor. Different considerations, but it comes down to repeatable moments when you just know it's the right guitar for you, for whatever reasons. I think Dhart's photo is nudging me away from the "size matters" myth in my thinking.

Last edited by Res Ipsa; 10-17-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I own an H-WS1000 and an X20, my experience has been the opposite of yours. And there lays the rub, we all have different ideas of what is "best"....my best is most likely not your best. Both VERY fine guitars, but the RS has not been getting any play. Perhaps my level of playing does not bring out the best in the RS. Or the Emerald.
Of course! This is a forum of opinions and different people have different opinions. It's not a contest and there are no "winners" nor "losers". . Some may prefer the tone of an Emerald and some may prefer the tone of RainSong. And some will be happy with both of them. There is no right nor wrong here. Each individual has to figure out what they, personally, wish to have and play. And none of us can decide that for anyone other than our selves.

I find that any given guitar will sound VERY different, depending on WHO is playing it and how/what style that person plays. A guitar may sound very ho-hum when Player A is playing it and may sound great when Player B is playing it. The video I referenced a few posts back is a good example of this to me - I think the player in the video does no justice to the sound of the guitars he is playing. TO my sensibilities, his playing is lackluster and, for the most part, VERY boring.

So the best we can do is figure out how a particular guitar will sound when WE are playing it and you never know until you get it in your hands and spend some time with it.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res Ipsa View Post
DHart, what a beautiful photograph! It makes me miss life in the Sonoran desert, and seriously stokes the GAS for an amber X7 Artisan. Brilliant shot.

I agree with Evan and Jdinco, it's the gel factor. Different considerations, but it comes down to repeatable moments when you just know it's the right guitar for you, for whatever reasons. I think Dhart's photo is nudging me away from the "size matters" myth in my thinking.
Thanks, Res Ipsa. Glad that you appreciate the image!

I think we're all in agreement that we each like what we each like; and our individual preferences are not going to translate into anything universally applicable for anyone else in particular.

As for the X7.... I like it. I'm not sure that the D'Addario EXP11 Coated 80/20 string set that's on it from Emerald is going to be my favorite choice in strings with this guitar. I think another type of string is probably going to become my favorite on the X7.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:57 PM
Guest 928

Well, there is the bell curve. At some point a community develops some consensus and creates a bulge that says "Wow! those Taylors are sweet!" There is, I suspect, some middle ground where scale length, nut width, neck shape and so forth accommodate a wide variety of human users.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:11 PM

Well... looking at the forums, for every guy who says they love a Taylor and don't like Martins, there's another guy who says he loves Martins, but dislikes Taylors.

And then there are guys like me - I like Martins and Taylors, but not so keen on Gibson (acoustics). And the next guy, who likes nothing but Gibson acoustics!

Pity the poor person who has to try to decide what he/she likes based on what others say they like!

There are just waay too many variables, when it comes to guitars, to broadly generalize about what anyone else will or won't like.

Last edited by DHart; 10-17-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:25 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Man D, that landscape around your place is so beautiful. Makes for great guitar photos.

Everyone should have a small, comfy guitar of some sort. I’m sure the X7 will have its place among your guitars. As I know well, not always does one’s best guitars get the most attention. The one that fits best where I sit most is the one that gets the most play despite any shortcomings. For me, it’s been my Cargo, for a long time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber