The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2017, 09:43 PM

Default The good doctor

Is anyone else hooked on this TV drama? Personally it's been a very long time since I've come across a show I find so captivating. Shaun Murphy's (Freddie Highmore) acting I find outstanding, a joy to watch.
Anyone else following this?
Old 10-16-2017, 11:09 PM

So far. The pilot didn’t hit a home run for me but the first two shows picked up. I think it's Being well written.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:55 AM

I watched the original Korean series by the same name about a year ago online. My wife and I thought it was great. Acting was good, not great, but the actors cast worked perfectly.

I haven't seen the USA version yet, but previews I saw were encouraging. Some of the small details from the original were all there--it didn't seem like anything was left out or altered too much.

I would expect better filming, special effects, and production value to be higher with the USA version so I hope they chose the right actors to make it all work.

I'll definitely try to see it when I'm able.

How many episodes is planned for this series?

The Korean Good Doctor took 20 episodes before it was completed.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:01 AM
Charter Member

I watched three episodes yesterday and enjoyed it. Having taught students with autism for a number of years, my bar is pretty high as to "realism." However, with any television or movie there must be the element of willing suspension of disbelief. However, one question that I have is how much surgical technique would a newly minted surgical resident already know since there seems to be an understanding that Dr. Murphy can already do some surgery. Would that be based on surgical rotations in medical school or his enhanced (savant) understanding as to anatomy and physiology? In regard to Highmore's acting, I think he really did his homework as to his social interactions with others which tend to be direct, literal and viewing social interactions as somewhat of a foreign language....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 10-17-2017, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

I'm watching. And that's odd for me: network TV doesn't get much play at my house.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 10-17-2017, 09:55 AM
AGF Administrator

I've been watching it with interest as I have an autistic child. The first episode was a bit schmaltzy, but it's gotten better.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic