The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-16-2017, 06:03 AM

Default Open Banking

I received an email from my bank today about "Open Banking". This is apparently a change in banking regulations so that companies can 'share' banking details.

I can give third party companies the right to make payments from my account if I wish. I think I'll pass on that thanks.

I can also give my account login details to other companies:

"This is where any company can request your personal login details. If you give them your login details the company will then log into your bank account as if they were you in order to use your data. This may mean that the company can access a wider range of information than just your transaction history or account details and the only way to be certain you have cancelled the permission you have given them is to change your password or security details with your bank."

Request my login details and have full access to my bank account. Are they for real?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:11 AM

Oh brave new world !

I think it’s a fantastic thing that the banks are taking a leading role in this Utopian vision.

No more secrets = no more war , no need for greed or hunger, or brotherhood of man...... imagine, all the people , sharing all the world.

Hats off to ‘em I say !
Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 AM

Wow... Did anybody happen to tell them why banks exist? You know that bit about keeping your money away from other people?

Amazing!!
Old 10-16-2017, 06:35 AM

Did they cite any scenario where this would be of value to their customers? Somebody, somewhere must have thought this would be useful but that defies my limited imagination.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
Did they cite any scenario where this would be of value to their customers? Somebody, somewhere must have thought this would be useful but that defies my limited imagination.
It seemed to be deliberately vague.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:16 AM

First they come up with a bad idea then they implement it and then they contribute to a politician to get there bad idea made into law. Soon after you will have to opt out of it instead of simply not choose it. Not long after that the 'opt out' option will be phased out under the guise of government working to protect you from something.

like frogs in a pot slowly being brought to a boil....
Old 10-16-2017, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

This isn't "new".

I have several accounts connected to my checking account - my insurance payments get processed automatically, all my utilities, etc.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 10-16-2017, 07:50 AM

Just like your internet browser companies can release your personal browsing history without your permission or knowledge...... welcome to deregulation.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I use online banking now for several years, and all the banks outsource the Bill Pay activity to a third party.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-16-2017, 08:33 AM

Default Request my login details and have full access to my bank account. Are they for real?

Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside....just ask Equifax
Old 10-16-2017, 09:54 AM

Sounds great! What do they charge for this service? Oh wait, how stupid of me. Of course, they'll charge whatever they want.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 10-19-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Jon View Post
Oh brave new world !

I think it’s a fantastic thing that the banks are taking a leading role in this Utopian vision.

No more secrets = no more war , no need for greed or hunger, or brotherhood of man...... imagine, all the people , sharing all the world.

Hats off to ‘em I say !
Dripping with sarcasm and rightfully so.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-19-2017, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
While I'm not in favor of the concept of "open banking," I believe it's so that money management software like Quicken or Mint can access your account. Lots of people use those programs (but again, not me...). Allowing that software to access their accounts would save users the step of having to download the information from the bank, then upload it into the software.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by motojosh View Post
While I'm not in favor of the concept of "open banking," I believe it's so that money management software like Quicken or Mint can access your account. Lots of people use those programs (but again, not me...). Allowing that software to access their accounts would save users the step of having to download the information from the bank, then upload it into the software.
I think that the purpose is to facilitate the BillPayer aspect of online banking.

the banks are more and more outsourcing the bill payer function.

if we don't allow the bill payer function to access the funds, it cannot function.

I don't think it is much different, risk wise, that a direct deposit account set up that allows a payroll company like adp to put funds in your account.

so much of the horrors stories about online hacking and theft is the result of lazy password management.

change your passwords very often to lower the risk. Even using a password manager, I've still gotten into the habit of frequent password changes. I think that's the most effective way to reduce the worry about your data online.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 10-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Oh, c'mon, folks. What could possibly go wrong?

*sigh*

My wife has always been leery of anything having to do with financial access or information via the internet. Thus, we remain confirmed Luddites in this particular realm. No online banking for us. No debit card usage...our ATM card is supposed to double as one, but only I carry it and its only use is cash withdrawals. Old school checking, balancing the checkbook, bill pay from paper statements, all still apply Chez Ronk.

Eventually, we'll be forced to relent. I have already set up online accounts with our investment firms, since she throws investment into my court exclusively, but I'm sure she'd be happier if that was all done by snail mail and paper statements.

But this? This would make her head explode.

Come to think of it, it gives me a bit of a headache, as well.

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic