The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 PM

Default 310ce vs. 312ce vs. 314ce

Unfortunately the only guitar any shops around here have is the 314ce. I love the way it sounds, but I rarely do any finger picking (mostly strumming).

Since the 310ce is dread, I'm assuming it will have a brighter tone, and it is also slightly less expensive. Anyone have any input on which would suit me better? I'm assuming playability is virtually identical between the two? It will mostly be used for playing with a friend or two, recording tracks for my saxophone, and occasionally brought to play around the campfire (although I have a cheaper guitar that will handle this duty most of the time). As of right now, I don't really have plans to pick up an amp, but that may change in a few years.

I plan on having this guitar forever, so I want to make the right investment.

And where does the 312ce fit in to all of this haha.

Thanks!
Old 04-27-2010, 12:36 PM

A dreadnaught (310) has a more cavernous body than a Grand Auditorium (314), so it will likely be louder and a bit boomier, but not necessarily brighter. The playability is not identical because the dread uses medium-gauge strings while the GA uses light gauge. Medium-gauge strings are somewhat harder to play. As for the 312, a Grand Concert body is the smallest acoustic/electric body that Taylor makes. That size body is typically the quietest of all of them.

Even if you have to drive a bit to get to them, I'd do it. Try them out. Buy the one that speaks to you.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 04-27-2010, 12:42 PM

As a person who was recently in the market (purchasing), here's my two cents.
If you're going to strum majority of the time, then you should go with a dreadnought (310ce). If you think you're going to do a lot of "unplugged" playing, then you really don't need an acoustic electric. So if you're pretty dang sure you're not going to be playing "plugged" I say forget the 310ce and look at Martin acoustic guitars for they sound better "unplugged" (but that's only my opinion). Even if you get an acoustic you can always get a pickup later on down the road should you decide to "mic up" or play "plugged". (lot of quotation marks).
I am no expert and may be wrong but that's what I have to say.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:12 PM

The GA body (314) is a nice all around player. The GA is a pretty comfortable guitar to hold and play sitting down. If you are looking for a do it all kind of guitar, this is a good choice.

The 310 is a Dreadnought style and has a louder, more bass sound then the 314 but still something that can do it all pretty well but it's a little more unwieldy when you are sitting down then the GA, more so if you are a smaller person.

The GC (312) is a small body. It has the least volume of the three but is very comfortable to hold and is light when standing for any length of time. If you are planning on doing mainly amplified stuff or small room acoustic, this may be a good choice for you as the GC is very balanced tonally.

You don't say what sort of music you play but here's my basic takes:
Rock, Folk, Country, strumming, Flatpicking = 310
Rock, Folk, Country, Pop, Fingerpicking = 314
Folk, Country, Fingerpicking = 312

You can use any guitar for any type of music but some sort of guideline is better then no guideline I guess...

Happy hunting.

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 PM

What are Martin's comparable models to the 300 series Taylors, both acoustic electric and straight acoustic? I have heard excellent things about Taylor's customer service and I can get a pretty darn good price on a new Taylor. Not sure if I will be able to find a Martin in that same range.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
The GA body (314) is a nice all around player. The GA is a pretty comfortable guitar to hold and play sitting down. If you are looking for a do it all kind of guitar, this is a good choice.

The 310 is a Dreadnought style and has a louder, more bass sound then the 314 but still something that can do it all pretty well but it's a little more unwieldy when you are sitting down then the GA, more so if you are a smaller person.

The GC (312) is a small body. It has the least volume of the three but is very comfortable to hold and is light when standing for any length of time. If you are planning on doing mainly amplified stuff or small room acoustic, this may be a good choice for you as the GC is very balanced tonally.

You don't say what sort of music you play but here's my basic takes:
Rock, Folk, Country, strumming, Flatpicking = 310
Rock, Folk, Country, Pop, Fingerpicking = 314
Folk, Country, Fingerpicking = 312

You can use any guitar for any type of music but some sort of guideline is better then no guideline I guess...

Happy hunting.

-Jim
All good info. I play mostly fock, folk, and country, mostly strummed (no solos and no real fingerpicking).
Old 04-27-2010, 01:25 PM

Also, I'm 5'11" and have medium sized hands and play mostly sitting down as well.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR Alex View Post
What are Martin's comparable models to the 300 series Taylors, both acoustic electric and straight acoustic? I have heard excellent things about Taylor's customer service and I can get a pretty darn good price on a new Taylor. Not sure if I will be able to find a Martin in that same range.
There's not a direct comparison because nut sizes vary and different woods but similar in quality would be:

Acoustic Dreadnought = Taylor DN3 - Martin D16GT or D-1
Acoustic Electric Dreadnought = Taylor 310ce - Martin DC-16GTE or Martin DC-1E
Acoustic mid-size = Taylor GA3 - Martin 000-16GT or OM-1
Acoustic Electric Mid-size = Taylor 314ce - Martin OMC-16GTE or OMC-1E
Acoustic Small body = Taylor GC3 - Martin no current model
Acoustic Electric Small body = Taylor 312ce - Martin 00C-16DBGTE

The 16 series in Martin is closer to the 3 and 4 series in Taylor. The 1 series Martin doesn't have a Taylor equivalent it sort of falls between the 2 and 3 series because it has solid sapele back and side and solid sitka tops with the stratabond necks of the lower end X series.

Martin uses sapele, Mahogany and Rosewood in the 16 series with occasional other woods like Ovankol and Koa so it's sort of like rolling the Taylor 3 and 4 series into one with some of the limiteds like Koa thrown in...

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 04-27-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB1 View Post
There's not a direct comparison because nut sizes vary and different woods but similar in quality would be:

Acoustic Dreadnought = Taylor DN3 - Martin D16GT or D-1
Acoustic Electric Dreadnought = Taylor 310ce - Martin DC-16GTE or Martin DC-1E
Acoustic mid-size = Taylor GA3 - Martin 000-16GT or OM-1
Acoustic Electric Mid-size = Taylor 314ce - Martin OMC-16GTE or OMC-1E
Acoustic Small body = Taylor GC3 - Martin no current model
Acoustic Electric Small body = Taylor 312ce - Martin 00C-16DBGTE

The 16 series in Martin is closer to the 3 and 4 series in Taylor. The 1 series Martin doesn't have a Taylor equivalent it sort of falls between the 2 and 3 series because it has solid sapele back and side and solid sitka tops with the stratabond necks of the lower end X series.

Martin uses sapele, Mahogany and Rosewood in the 16 series with occasional other woods like Ovankol and Koa so it's sort of like rolling the Taylor 3 and 4 series into one with some of the limiteds like Koa thrown in...

-Jim
very, VERY much appreciated. I'll try to track down some of these other guitars even if it means driving a little ways. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM

Hard not to be alittle biased here..but a 314 is a very versatile guitar...Ive got one thats a stage guitar, I strum the heck out of it, plugged and unplugged....I like it, I also like the dn3, dread, while I wasnt playing it to compare with my 314, I did compare it to the d16gt's the store had on hand and the dn3 imo outplayed, outsounded, all the 16 series in the store. I have no experience with the 312, but your not gonna go wrong with either the dread or the ga in my opinion. frank
Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

A dreadnought is a very versatile guitar. Singer-players have used the venerable dreadnought body-style for flatpicking, strumming, and fingerpicking in all genres of music. You can use a Taylor 310ce for everything.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 04-27-2010, 02:31 PM

For the Taylor dreads, is there a specific advantage of going to the DN4 or 410ce vs. the DN3 or 314ce? What sound difference will the difference in wood make?

Basically I'm looking for the tones of the 314ce to be a touch louder, but not as "boomy" as a 310 might be.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:01 PM

What about the GS8. It sounds like a perfect match for my playing style/needs. It's a little more expensive, but if I'm planning on having it forever I can justify the price.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGR Alex View Post
What about the GS8. It sounds like a perfect match for my playing style/needs. It's a little more expensive, but if I'm planning on having it forever I can justify the price.
Your talking a whole new game here. If GS8 is an option....better get it. frank
Old 04-27-2010, 05:44 PM

My experience is limited to the 312CE and soon to own 414CE. I'm not as proficient in knowledge of acoustic guitarrs in general as many are around here, but I know these two guitars. For an all purpose guitar with respectable volume that 314CE is going to be hard to beat in the 300 series. My latest purchase is happening after many hours playing the 314CE and 414CE head to head. The 314 I played had a bit more volume than the 414 and certainly more than the 312. I'm keeping the 312 as a sitting on the couch, not wanting to disturb the family too much and personal relaxation guitar. The 414 will be my player. I ended up with the 414 over the 314 because, to me, it had a few more touches that I wanted on a guitar that I was spending that kind of money for. It also had more tonal balance. The place I am buying it from has the one they had on the wall and are having 2 more, untouched units shipped in for me to pick the best of the three. By the end of this week, it's going to be hard pulling me away from playing.

Good luck in your hunt.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion