The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 08:28 AM

Default Humidifying a dry guitar

I just got a new (to me) guitar and I'm sure it could use a little moisture. I've read all about humidifiers etc, and I keep Humidipaks in my other guitars (not that I really need them--my house stays at about 50% humidity).

My question is this--do I need to do anything "extra" to humidify a dry guitar, or will just having it in my 50% humidity house for a few days do the trick?
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-17-2017, 08:45 AM

I would think your house will work just fine.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 10-17-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG View Post
I would think your house will work just fine.
Awesome! Finally a task I can complete on my own without any effort!
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Guest 1928

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I just got a new (to me) guitar and I'm sure it could use a little moisture. I've read all about humidifiers etc, and I keep Humidipaks in my other guitars (not that I really need them--my house stays at about 50% humidity).

My question is this--do I need to do anything "extra" to humidify a dry guitar, or will just having it in my 50% humidity house for a few days do the trick?
Everyone these days seems to think, like you, that all guitars need humidification. They don't. They need to be in an environment where the humidity is reasonably close to the humidity where the guitar was built. The safe range is quite a bit wider than the internet would lead you to believe however. Since your home environment is near 50% RH you should be doing NOTHING. Ditch the Humidipacks too. At 50% you don't need them and you're only creating potential problems if one should leak.

To answer the second part of your question, even if the new guitar came from a dry environment, storing it in your 50% RH home is all that would be necessary.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
Everyone these days seems to think, like you, that all guitars need humidification. They don't. They need to be in an environment where the humidity is reasonably close to the humidity where the guitar was built. The safe range is quite a bit wider than the internet would lead you to believe however. Since your home environment is near 50% RH you should be doing NOTHING. Ditch the Humidipacks too. At 50% you don't need them and you're only creating potential problems if one should leak.

To answer the second part of your question, even if the new guitar came from a dry environment, storing it in your 50% RH home is all that would be necessary.
You're probably right about that. I play outdoor gigs all summer in 80-90% humidity, which I why I got them in the first place. But I suppose you're right--bringing them back in the house when I'm done with a high humidity gig puts them right back in the normal zone again.
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 10-17-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post

A Big Plus One to what Todd said. In the old days (back in the '60s and '70s) we (the average acoustic guitar player) didn't know much about humidifying guitars. Our guitars were fine. This fascination with humidification is relatively recent.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfspencer View Post
A Big Plus One to what Todd said. In the old days (back in the '60s and '70s) we (the average acoustic guitar player) didn't know much about humidifying guitars. Our guitars were fine. This fascination with humidification is relatively recent.
Yep, you can thank the internet and its myth-spreading ability for that-along with bridge pins' tonal attributes ("toasted wheat underpinnings," to quote someone on UMGF), capos with a tone of their own(!) and a whole bunch of complete rubbish which the gullible seem to buy into with glee.
Old 10-17-2017, 12:44 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisE View Post
I just got a new (to me) guitar and I'm sure it could use a little moisture.
What are you seeing that makes you think so? Is the top sunken?

Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 PM

The preamble...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS6GqjP-zMY&t=197s

...here's the main act
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB8tELj43RE&t=12s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWcGdWFiv4M&t=36s
Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion