The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-28-2017, 07:14 PM

Default LR Baggs Lyric vs M80

I need to amplify my Larrivee SD 50 - a guitar which I just love the acoustic tone of. I have settled on these two systems. Because of this, I don't want to install a piezo UST so the Baggs Anthem series is out. I have an LR Baggs Para DI so I can shape the tone somewhat.
I have read all the reviews but I was curious if any members had compared these two?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:55 AM
Charter Member

I have a Baggs Element in my J45 and a Baggs M80 in my D15 (also have K&ks in a few others).

Not the comp you are looking for, but I can say this about the M80.you can get a fantastic warm tone from it, after adjusting pole heights, and EQing to your liking. The battery lasts forever long, and you don’t have giant feedback issues. The downside is, if you strum rhythmically, like boom chick a boom stuff, get used to making sure your pick doesn’t click against the pickup.

The Element is just an easy pickup to play live. Less quack than the rigid Fishman USTs.

I sill prefer my k&k pickups; they can just be more finicky live.

Here is a demo of the M80 vs a K&K:

Old 12-29-2017, 05:59 AM

Default M80

I have bought and used Lyrics in at least three guitars including most recently a Martin HD cocobolo and Adirondack top. I found it boxy and replaced it with a Trance Amulet eventually.

More recently I switched to M80s. My initial reason to switch was because I was tired of altering guitars and wanted something I could move from one guitar to another. I used it first in a Collings OM1 and it sounded great. Then I got a used Froggy Bottom SJ and moved the M80 to it. I havent drilled out the endpin hole on either guitar and just run the cord out the soundhole. I like it enough that I bought a second one used and leave the first one in the FB.

I personally think it is a really good choice and like it much better than the Lyric. It is warm and rich. It may not be the most authentic acoustic sound but for a band situation it is excellent.

Unfortunately for your question, I never had both at the same time to
make a direct comparison, but I have used both extensively and strongly prefer the M80.

Also, I play through a Baggs Venue so pretty similar to the Para DI and don’t tweak the sound much, just take a bit off the treble.

For solo playing I have a smaller guitar with a mini mic which gives the closest to acoustic sound I have found. But I don’t think it would be a good choice for a band due to potential feedback issues.

Last edited by Psfam; 12-29-2017 at 06:08 AM.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddyo View Post
I need to amplify my Larrivee SD 50 - a guitar which I just love the acoustic tone of. I have settled on these two systems. Because of this, I don't want to install a piezo UST so the Baggs Anthem series is out. I have an LR Baggs Para DI so I can shape the tone somewhat.
I have read all the reviews but I was curious if any members had compared these two?
I am interested in this question too for an older Gibson J-35.

May try the M80... Since it can be tested/installed with no alteration.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
My feeling is that if you're playing loud/with a band then definitely go for the M80. If you're playing soft/solo then the lyric may sound more natural.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the input. So many choices. I have an I Beam in a Larrivee L03R and while a lot of guys don't like it, it worked great for me with the para and a sound hole plug. I like what I am reading about the M80, but it is right there in the sound hole. My guitar came with a pre-drilled end hole so That isn't a big issue.
Old 12-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the input. So many choices. I have an I Beam in a Larrivee L03R and while a lot of guys don't like it, it worked great for me with the para and a sound hole plug. I like what I am reading about the M80, but it is right there in the sound hole. My guitar came with a pre-drilled end hole so That isn't a big issue.
I have an I Beam in my E10 00 and I love it. Never had any issues with it live.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-30-2017, 06:55 AM

I have an M80. It is pretty sweet. Downsides
Are the active passive switch location.
It's located underneath and the pickup has
To be removed to switch it(worthless). I leave it in
Passive mode. I also have a sunrise pup.
Which I like better. A bit more "magnetic"
Sounding but I think the sunrise is more versatile.
It sounds good in whatever I plug it into.
The m80 will give you percussion (if you tap/rap your axe)
The sunrise will not. If you play open mics the mag
Pups will work better in a wider variety of inputs.
Much more so than a pup like KK.
Can't help with the lyric never tried one.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Just picked up (no pun intended) a M80 yesterday from GC. I had a Gift Card and 15% off coupon. So it cost me under $100.

I was looking for a solution for my '95 Gibson J-35.... Which since it has a long (through) saddle.. Did not lend itself to a UST. Also, I wasn't ready to do a permanent glued install like the K&K mini. So sound hole seemed like the logical choice. The M80 appeared to be the best unit for the money and easily purchased locally.

First off....It sounds really excellent. I was actually quite impressed and amazed that it sounded so good. Just straight in to my Bose L1C. In fact, I played for around 10 minutes going through all sorts of strums and riffs... Then I looked at the Bose and saw it was on Line in. So I wasn't even using the ToneMatch setting... which would have enhanced the tone.

With that said, I'm sure it's going to need some tweaking. The high strings can be a little harsh. When playing up the neck...Single not leads. The tone is not as warm/nice as when stumming chords in first position. But I haven't screwed around with the poles.. or use my T1 mixer or any EQ yet.

Today, I am going to get the end pin reamed by local shop. I don't have the right tools or experience.

I will say this.... I am not totally thrilled with the sound hole pickup "looks"... But I'm sure it will grow on me. I've toyed with the idea of painting the cover. So it will blend into the Gibson's Darker Sunburst finish.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

I have used both. I found the Lyric to be just pretty awful. It came in a guitar I bought and I just could not get a decent tone out of it no matter how much I tried so I yanked it out at the first string change and slapped in an M80. The M80 is a great pickup but does take some time dialing it in. I had to completely remove the B and high E pole pieces. Even though I managed to get a decent usable tone out of the M80 I still ended up pulling that out and installing a K&K which is my preferred pickup. But if the two you mentioned are your choices then it's the M80 all the way. I'm sure Noledog will be chiming in at some point. He is the authority on all things M80 and he helped me immensely dial in my M80.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Just picked up (no pun intended) a M80 yesterday from GC. I had a Gift Card and 15% off coupon. So it cost me under $100.

I was looking for a solution for my '95 Gibson J-35.... Which since it has a long (through) saddle.. Did not lend itself to a UST. Also, I wasn't ready to do a permanent glued install like the K&K mini. So sound hole seemed like the logical choice. The M80 appeared to be the best unit for the money and easily purchased locally.

First off....It sounds really excellent. I was actually quite impressed and amazed that it sounded so good. Just straight in to my Bose L1C. In fact, I played for around 10 minutes going through all sorts of strums and riffs... Then I looked at the Bose and saw it was on Line in. So I wasn't even using the ToneMatch setting... which would have enhanced the tone.

With that said, I'm sure it's going to need some tweaking. The high strings can be a little harsh. When playing up the neck...Single not leads. The tone is not as warm/nice as when stumming chords in first position. But I haven't screwed around with the poles.. or use my T1 mixer or any EQ yet.

Today, I am going to get the end pin reamed by local shop. I don't have the right tools or experience.

I will say this.... I am not totally thrilled with the sound hole pickup "looks"... But I'm sure it will grow on me. I've toyed with the idea of painting the cover. So it will blend into the Gibson's Darker Sunburst finish.
Hi Jake,

* Got email via Gary and sent you some tips on the M80...it's not for everyone, but it works well for me whereas the Lyric would not work for my application.
** I agree with Metho's thoughts and if the M80 does not work, the K&K may well do so like it does for Methos.
*** The K&K is very nice up to a certain volume point, then gets squirrely with feedback & the like, so it doesn't work for me. One of my best friends and fellow musicians just put one in his new D-35 and I played it thru my rig and it sounded lovely, (up to a certain point), very natural.

*** I really enjoy the M80 tone & features, leave it in 100% of the time, it does not affect the unplug tone at all, keeps the iconic D-18 organic and looks cool imo with it's ivoroid looking finish...kinda like the ol' John Lennon J-160.

**** It's worth a try, check your email and if I may be of further help, I'm happy to do so!

eric
Old 12-30-2017, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Takamine TRI-AX is basically the same as the M80 but with a black finish instead of cream.

Application is everything with pickup choice, I play large venues in a full band and the M80 is superb for this. You might find better solutions for more intimate settings but I'd take the M80 every time.
Old 12-30-2017, 02:27 PM

My partner uses the M80 and it’s a consistent and very toneful pickup, it just needs some EQ to pull out the mids associated with a mag and you’ll need to adjust the bass and treble based on the acoustics of the room. I haven’t cared much for the Lyric in live settings (sounds hollow) but seems to record fairly well.

The M80 and M1s aren’t quite as nice as a good dual source combo of a mag and SBT but they’re way simpler and much more stable than something that’s microphone based. I always choose “simple and safe” over “sounds brilliant but complicated.”
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 12-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63telemaster View Post
Takamine TRI-AX is basically the same as the M80 but with a black finish instead of cream.

Application is everything with pickup choice, I play large venues in a full band and the M80 is superb for this. You might find better solutions for more intimate settings but I'd take the M80 every time.
+1...the Triax is available thru our AGF Sponsor Jerry at Pacific Guitar Sales...I've bought several guitars and Cooltube preamps from him and he is a joy to deal with and has best prices ever on Tak stuff hands down!

* I will say on my mojofry'd vintage looking D-18, I prefer the ivory look, however, the darker Triax may suit you more...btw the Triax is an M80 dressed in chocolate black, and will work just the same as the ivory M80, but from my Tak family of friends, I heard that they (Baggs) may have altered the pickup a bit tonally to work a bit more in conjunction with the dual source option on the Cooltube and CT4-DX preamps. I'm not 100% sure so don't take that as gospel, however, i know those who have used the Triax alone have been very pleased as those of us with the M80. I have two and also the M1A which I gave to my son. Both nice, I prefer M80.

** I have installed one my standard ivory M80's on one of my Cooltube equipped Taks to try as a dual source and it worked nicely, but took it out to use in another guitar that needed it's SBT replaced.

*** Once dialed in, the M80 is full, warm and rich. Only the 1st and 2nd strings have any tonal character of a mag which can be minimized with flesh finger attack, or a Delrin, or Blue Chip type pick in addition to technique and EQ etc.

Plug n play baby and looks cool imo > the creamy, ivory with ebonyish center looks more vintagey to me combined with the creamy, aging amber sitka top against the tortoise pickgard and ebony finger board/bridge...a nice window 'err soundhole dressing jus' my opinion tho.

Last edited by noledog; 12-30-2017 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 PM

Thanks for the input NoleDog!

Here's the M80 in My J-35.... Going to test now!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification