The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-30-2017, 01:43 PM

Default Warranty for New Guitar

When you buy a brand new classical guitar or nylon stringed guitar, do you expect the guitar to have perfect low action?

If it came with very high action, should you go back to the seller to fix it, or ask for refund? Or is it normal for classical guitar to have high action?
Neck seems a bit bowed as well.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theleman View Post
When you buy a brand new classical guitar or nylon stringed guitar, do you expect the guitar to have perfect low action?

If it came with very high action, should you go back to the seller to fix it, or ask for refund? Or is it normal for classical guitar to have high action?
Neck seems a bit bowed as well.
Hi Theleman!

there are so many individual preferences for action, that I think it isn't realistic to expect a guitar to arrive exactly perfect for your desires.

Can you take it to a local guitar tech for a set up that addresses your needs?

that's what seems to be the most standard approach that i've seen discussed around here.

best of luck!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 11-30-2017, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyFB View Post
Hi Theleman!

there are so many individual preferences for action, that I think it isn't realistic to expect a guitar to arrive exactly perfect for your desires.

Can you take it to a local guitar tech for a set up that addresses your needs?

that's what seems to be the most standard approach that i've seen discussed around here.

best of luck!
Yes, I was not sure what was the general way to approach to the problem.

The action at 12th fret is, I just measured, 6.5mm (too unusually high - grinding the saddle down may not bring it down too much)
and neck is a bit bowed. Not sure if the slight bent neck could be problem too. The guitar has no truss rod, so it might be difficult to straighten it.

I don't think we have local luthier near-by either.

Thank you for your advice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical