The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-02-2018, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hello,
Do you think the Loudbox Mini suffices, or would it be helpful for me to have a more powerful amp like the Loudbox Artist? It is really hard for me to tell from the stage.
Why don't you ask someone you know in the audience?
Guild GAD25
Yamaha FG413S / FG200 / FG800
Old 01-02-2018, 09:35 AM

Default Mini/Performer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Hello,

I have a Fishman Loudbox Mini which I use at small gigs. I play an acoustic guitar with a K&K mini pickup, a bandmate plays an electric guitar, and we have three female vocalists. We typically play venues of under 100 people, but occasionally play at fairs on outdoor stages. Usually (not always) we are hooked directly into a PA system. I like the fidelity of sound and portability of this amp.

Do you think the Loudbox Mini suffices, or would it be helpful for me to have a more powerful amp like the Loudbox Artist? It is really hard for me to tell from the stage.

Thanks.
I don't often play live, but I had found my former Loudbox 100 was never enough. I sold that and now have the Performer. Oddly, last week I played with other musicians for a couple hours with the Performer and had to turn it up a bit more, and the sound was a bit thinner than other places. Sometimes the building you are playing in can have a drastic effect on the sound. We were in a long narrow room with a high ceiling. Took me a few, but I could dial in what I needed. We were also playing with a drummer, so I know the former LB100 would not have worked.

I'm thinking only you can answer your question by determining what happens if there's no PA for you to plug into, and you need more volume? I do know a guy that uses an older Fishman Loudbox product (not the Performer series) and always puts it in an amp stand. He typically plays solo or with other acoustic musicians and has had no issues. Elevate the amp if you are not already doing that. When I had my LB100 I often had to put it on a chair or table, so an amp stand would have been nice. I don't need that now with the Performer. Last week I did tilt the Performer back with the foldable extension it has, that made a huge difference in that room. Was the first time I ever had to use it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification