The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 11:54 AM

Why do we always regurgitate these tired discussions? I judge guitars as individuals just like a judge people as individuals. The days of mass generalizations are over. I have great instruments from all over the world. I wouldn't sell my Eastman E20 OM if I was offered 3k today. Not all guitars from China are great but not all guitars from the US are great either.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargoat View Post
Why do we always regurgitate these tired discussions? I judge guitars as individuals just like a judge people as individuals. The days of mass generalizations are over. I have great instruments from all over the world. I wouldn't sell my Eastman E20 OM if I was offered 3k today. Not all guitars from China are great but not all guitars from the US are great either.
This^^
American manufacturing has this undeserved reputation of excellence, you don't need to look beyond the auto industry to see that mass production isn't always something America excels at, now on a high end hand crafted item where time isn't pressed and a craftsman can take their time the origins of that craftsman are irrelevant, only their skill matters and for the most part every country has some level of manufacturing know how so to suggest a guitar is inferior strictly because of its country of origin is ridiculous.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:19 PM
Charter Member

I would love to try an Eastman, but it seems like nobody around the NYC area stocks them. The only thing I could do is to by one used from GC. Then play it an return it. That's too much for me to just try a guitar right now.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:31 PM

hate to break it to some of you guys,

The Chinese have a long history of making stringed instruments long before America even existed, I think they probably got the hang of it by now.

The "American " guitar is the new kid on the block, like so many things American you took a spanish guitar and made it bigger.

its a smile, leg pulling here
Old 03-25-2017, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Well, remember the old saying that if you are seeking that one in a million - in China there are 1,357,000, of them!
I agree with your post, but must point out you're off by a few orders of magnitude there.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:02 PM

I'll never understand the love of Eastmans on this forum. Every one I have played was dead and lifeless.

From my perspective, the Chinese Guilds are much better guitars at a much better price point.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 03-25-2017, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargoat View Post
You didn't have to respond.

Personally, I think it's good form on the internet to discuss things if you want and to ignore threads if you want.

Chinese guitar manufacturing will be a topic of interest as long as they continue to make guitars that sell for less.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveho View Post
This^^
American manufacturing has this undeserved reputation of excellence,
Really? So Taylor, Martin and Gibson are undeserving of their reputation?
Old 03-25-2017, 02:25 PM

I personally prefer my Indonesian-made Pono to any Eastman or other MIC guitars I ever came across.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
You didn't have to respond.

Personally, I think it's good form on the internet to discuss things if you want and to ignore threads if you want.

Chinese guitar manufacturing will be a topic of interest as long as they continue to make guitars that sell for less.
I am aware that I didn't have to respond. My post was semi-rhetorical. I also am aware that I can always ignore a topic but I don't want to in this case. I want to help cement the fact that great guitars can be built anywhere in the world. Most of my current stable of guitars are built in the good ol USA but I own guitars from several other countries including China. I hope to help dispel some of the preconceived generalizations that are very outdated. It's not the 1980's anymore. Great guitars can be built anywhere. It's not like building a long range missile which some countries in Asia still can't pull off. Lol. China's economic growth in the last 20 years has been staggering in so many aspects. They build a lot of products that we use everyday and do so at a lower price and very high quality. My iPhone that I am writing this on is a great example. Time to start learning Mandarin ladies and gents.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:34 PM

Apparently the equipment they use to build guitars in China is just under 100 years old and most of the factories don't have electricity and use candles for lighting. They bring their labour in from the country every morning on dog carts. Knowing all this, their guitars and manufacturing methods have got to be very inferior.
Old 03-25-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slianto View Post
But for the best craftmanship itself, I prefer US built or Japan or maybe Korea.
For classical guitars I like "Made in Spain"

(as well as good quality guitars made elsewhere)
Old 03-25-2017, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogthefrog View Post
I agree with your post, but must point out you're off by a few orders of magnitude there.
I wondered about that - I'm evidently not a mathematician, but the principle still applies.
Old 03-25-2017, 03:36 PM

How much soul and history did Leo Fender have?

hunter
Old 03-25-2017, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

I played my first Eastman on Friday. Nice player. Sounded good. Martinish tone. It was a good guitar. It made me want to play it.

Youtube! Please subscribe!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion