The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Closed Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 07:36 PM

Arrow ***SOLD*** 1997 Taylor 555 12-string jumbo acoustic guitar

SOLD: A beautiful Taylor 555 12-string jumbo acoustic, 1997 build, with a K&K pure mini pickup. Sports a nicely bookmatched Sitka Spruce, and a golden mahogany back and sizes. The guitar’s luxe aesthetics include a pearl headstock inlay, abalone rosettes, and diamond shaped fingerboard inlays. This classic Taylor model is in outstanding condition – in fact, it has only one blemish, a ding on the top (just below the bridge) that happened last spring. Other than that – impeccable shape, and awesome sound. You’ll be hard put to find a better condition 555. I’m only selling because I struggle with long scale length guitars (my AGF friends know this is so), and this Taylor is my only remaining instrument with over 25.0” scale length. I know I’d play 12 string more if I sold this and bought a short scale one, so onto the market.

I purchased this guitar from a respected AGF’er this past spring after hearing about it from another respected AGF’er (a 555 pursuit story ). It is a delight to play. Unbelievably loud for strumming; you can entertain most of your country without an amp. Tone and overall sound is well represented in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-hDjb6xHJM Taylor 555 spec’s include: 1 7/8" nut, 25.5” scale length, 17” lower bout, 2 1/4“ string spacing, 14 fret neck, MOP diamond fret markers, Grover tuners and a red pickguard. Neck is a comfortable ‘C’ Taylor neck. Guitar was professionally set up for low action in April 2017 (receipt from work included in case). Comes with Taylor brown case (pink/red inside) in remarkable shape – not a scuff on it, and all latches work perfectly.

This Taylor 555 is offered for a price of $SOLD. Price is for cash or paypal sale (cash gets a free extra set of Elixir strings thrown in), and includes fully insured, cleanly and carefully packed US ground shipping with signature verification. No trades please. I can take/email more photos, share detailed measurements of anything needed, and provide any further info needed to interested buyers. I've bought/traded/sold over three dozen guitars in 4.5 years on AGF, and will gladly provide references. Thanks for looking!

Close-up of the only blemish on this guitar (ding from spring 2017 – darn!):

Last edited by Carmel Cedar; 02-15-2018 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Andy - don't do it. Pull this thread while you can.

Even though you may not play it a lot, you should keep it.

I have sold two 555s and regretted it both times. I am on my third and this one will be sold by my heirs.

There is something very cool about a 555.

Keep it, my friend.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile What Rob said...

I too have gone through a couple of these. Had Tim L upgrade them with bone and his TLC... I miss them too.

taylor's golden years, for sure, and a sweet example! Did you know Leo Kottke based his sig model on this one? Enough said.

Sell something else! Haha

REALLY.

cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 AM

Default sale of twelve

I too sold my 555 and I wish that I still had it. Tom
Old 01-03-2018, 12:12 PM

Default 555 musings

+1 on keeping it. Been at that same temptation in the past but I've kept mine The solution for me was to tune it to open D. It keeps the longer scale manageable with most chord shapes and opens all kinds of cool sonic possibilities....
Old 01-03-2018, 12:31 PM

Yeah, keep it! I had a 1997 555. Also a '96 LKSM-12. Kept the LKSM-12 but wish I still had the 555. Great era for Taylors!
Old 01-04-2018, 08:39 PM
Charter Member

This is a great deal for a fine 12 string. I wish I could take it off your hands, but I'm singing the post Christmas poor man's blues. LOL

Good luck with it. Someone will get a jewel of a guitar.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:44 PM

Wink

Andy, we have not yet met, though I’ve seen your posts a bit and someday we should trade a guitar!

You can see I have a 555 and mine came in a trade with Paul. You may guess, it has a Tim Luranc setup. No doubt and it does play nicely! I don’t play mine too much, though it is amazing when I have. I have listed mine twice and offered it in trade. My son came by a few weeks back. After hearing him play it, from across the room, made it worth keeping, in just a few minutes. Sorry, man.

Based on my trade and shipping I have a good $200 or more into mine than your asking. GLWS
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I am one of the previous owners of this iconic gem of a 12 string. I sold it because I wanted to try a custom Santa Cruz D12-12 string. I do love the SC, but dollar for dollar...the 555 is just about the best 12 I've played. Thirty years old and it is super clean.

Andy is offering this at what I would consider below market--even in this market. You will not find a better guy to deal with or one who is more particular about how he packs a guitar.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 01-20-2018, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Smile Slim neck...

I can ad that this axe has a slender neck carve. As do all the pre NT Taylors. This
is a big help with the 12 string as it has the usual 1 7/8" Nut. A bit easier to get your hand around what would be a modern "Slim Carve".

The tone on this is MONSTEROUS. really. And of course Andy is a prince of a gentleman and wonderful to deal with. No worries at all here, folks!

Best on this, Andy

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-31-2018, 08:21 PM

Thanks Rob, Paul, Tom, H-wood, Pete, Pick, Johnny and Frank. Much appreciated. I do feel it's super-well priced and a fabulous way to explore the world of 12 string sound for virtually no financial risk. (Frank, I agree - it's not quite 'give-away' pricing, but it's an awesome deal for someone - on which I'm taking a loss).

Paul - you are on target - the neck is slim and comfortable. If you need a thick or V neck, this isn't it - but if you like the Taylor neck, this is awesome. If only this guitar were short scale, it would be a lifer (per Rob's advice...).

The Taylor 555 is an iconic 12-string, between it and the venerable Guild F-512, these are the guitars that seem to define the 12 string sound and tone. Given this guitar's tone and volume, I have to agree.
Old 02-02-2018, 10:03 AM

I see a 1/4-inch plug in the heel. Onboard electronics?
2015 Northwood R-80 MJ
Old 02-02-2018, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I see a 1/4-inch plug in the heel. Onboard electronics?
The listing states that a K&K Pure Mini pickup is installed. These are great-sounding, non-invasive pickups.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:36 PM

Thanks for the assist Larry. Yes, the guitar does indeed have a K&K pure mini pickup - works perfectly with my Fishman Loudbox mini. In fact, I have an extra mini, thinking I might offer it as a package deal with the guitar for an extra $175. Heck of a combo - you can entertain the county with them!
Old 02-13-2018, 07:50 PM

Still available - nicest Taylor 12 string this side of Johnny's 1994 guitar that's going back to Paul!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > FOR SALE! > AGF Classifieds - Guitars

Tags
taylor 555 12 string