The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-12-2017, 07:31 PM

All great advice. Thanx to all.
2008 Ibanez "strat" style.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:56 PM

This used to happen a lot in my band days, and still happens to a degree when I'm working on a new piece on my own.
Rehearsing with the band, it would be interesting and challenging, learning a new tune, working on arrangements, and so on. As I got to know the song well enough not to have to refer to notes for chords and arrangements, as I came to grips with it, I would lose interest and would have happily dropped it if not for the need to keep playing for the band. After a while though, when I could play it withing thinking about it, it would become fun again as I would know it so well I could have fun with it, throw in bits/licks here, use chords in different positions and inversions, play with the dynamics and so on.
The challenge for me on learning a new piece, now my band days are over, is to get over that middle hump without the peer pressure keeping me at it. Getting to stage 3 is when I REALLY enjoy playing a tune. Sometimes I get there, sometimes I don't.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write