The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Default Tones for Joan's Bones by Chick Corea

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb6OV...layer_embedded

Composer: Chick Corea

First take on a Corea tune I liked but hadn't played till this week. When I was ~16 playing in Detroit and doing a lot of sessions this was just becoming one of the hot session tunes but I was more into gigs by that time so I think I never got a chance to play it.

So at about 3 minutes 45 seconds into this thing, the battery on my video gave out and since I wanted the audio track up , I slyly switch to some wild animal footage taken minutes ago in my house which is completely terrible but "any port in a storm".

The recording is mostly mic'd with a Rode NT1 with a little help from the pickup. The backing track was just a remix I did on some "iReal B" track. Credits to the author. Oh yeah: For the guitar geeks out there that care: For the first time I'm using Phosphor Bronze strings (12-54) that give a brighter and tighter tone and feel which I really like. I had to change all the magnetic screw adjustments to work with the bronze and steel mix.

These are all first takes , flubs and all ;)
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM

Great job Papol!!! The sound was nice and I was impressed with your video skills Amigo!!! IMHO the tune might have been a little rushed in places...needed to "breathe", but if I was being attacked by a black leopard like you, I would be pretty rushed myself!
Thanks for posting...
Old 01-30-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytone View Post
Great job Papol!!! The sound was nice and I was impressed with your video skills Amigo!!! IMHO the tune might have been a little rushed in places...needed to "breathe", but if I was being attacked by a black leopard like you, I would be pretty rushed myself!;):lol::roll:
Thanks for posting...:)
Hi Clay -

Thanks for the nice reply and I appreciate the comment about being rushed sounding. My last few songs have been my first in a year (since some problems) so I've been doing a combination of trying tunes that're new to me and fairly challenging. That along with my impatience for recording at home really gets me trying like nuts to get a song done on the first take.

It's a terrible habit ;) that I haven't yet kicked. My next tune will be a very slow ballad so if I rush in there, all is lost. I was also really kind of stoked with the results of the bronze strings on the archtop but I'm not sure that came across. Bottom line is that I shouldn't record tunes I've known for one day, but it is a lot of fun basically learning a melody inside out and then improvising on these great tunes regardless of anything else.

That black leopard is always chasing me, even at night he attacks, kind of like Kato in the old Pink Panther movies.

Thanks very much,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Tags
archtop, chick corea, jazz, mickey stein, tones for jones bones