The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Default trouble with Twin Reverb...

I'm sure a lot of you also play electric..so I'll ask this question. My son has purchased "two" used Fender Twin Reverbs since Christmas day from Guitar Center. The first one had one bad speaker..took it back...they got us another one...got it home last night...after playing it for an hour a bad hum developed...After searching on the internet someone mentioned bad tubes...has anyone had this much trouble trying to buy a used amp?....I'm sure most people trade them in when they start giving trouble...I'm trying to convince him to just get a new one but it's $700 more!...any thought?...he is dead set on this particular amp...he's mainly wanting a loud CLEAN tone..and after much research he's settled on this model...but, right now I'm not so sure it's a good idea?...if we replace the tubes does anyone know how much that costs?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 AM

New tubes are a whole lot less than $700. GC may replace the tubes for you at a reduced rate, or you can ask to swap out speakers between amp #1 & #2.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM

A new set of good tubes will set you back about 200 for a Twin. Lot of tubes in those. A bad hum after it runs a while sounds like a cold solder joint in the ground circuitry that is opening when it gets hot. Could also be a bad capacitor. Most tube problems in newer tube sets come from bad contact in their sockets. Spray a little contact cleaner on the pins and insert and remove them a few times. Then plug the amp back in and give it another try. If you want to try to sort this out yourself, I would suggest talking to the guys at Eurotubes, they have a lot of experience and were very helpful with fixing a noise problem in my HR Deluxe. Or, let GC make it right by you.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM

It should be under warranty for 30 days from Guitar Center. Take it back and tell them to fix it. I've bought used amps with problems and I've had them fix it. Tell them it has a bad hum and fix it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification