The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 PM

Default "Manageable" Keys

Question for a few of the more experienced ones in here...

I have a pretty low bass/baritone voice, and as such, struggle singing to certain keys. For those with this issue, which keys do you often transpose to?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM
The Foreigner

I'm not sure there's a simple answer to this, especially with use of a capo. But "baritone" says to me "James Taylor", so you might want to listen to his music and see what keys/capo positions he uses
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM

I don't understand the question. I have NO idea what my voice is -- bass, alto, tenor, etc. I just find a song I like and a key I can sing it in. Then I figure out whether/where to capo it or just play it open in that key. In my performing repertoire, I've got songs in G, Ab, A, Bb, B, C, C#, D, Eb, E and F. That pretty much covers the spectrum.

Don Smith
Raleigh, NC
Old 06-09-2009, 12:22 AM

Bass/Baritone...E is always a good key. Just ask Neil Diamond

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken

Last edited by Guyute; 06-09-2009 at 12:27 AM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:50 AM

http://www.mp3backingtrax.com/article13.htm
Old 06-09-2009, 02:25 AM

i dont think there is a baritone key, any key can be your key, it depends on the melody structure of the song. try to find the highest note of the song (or lowest note) and adjust it to your range and find the new key where it now sits.

that being said, i think for songs sung by tenors you can transpose down to maybe 3 or 4 semitones (frets) to be comfortable at baritone
Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 AM

the fountain of all knowledge!!!! (Wikipedia) has this to say on the subject..
"Baritone (or barytone; French: baryton; German: Bariton; Italian: baritono) is a type of classical male singing voice that lies between the bass and tenor voices. It is the most common male voice. Originally from the Greek βαρυτονος, meaning 'deep (or heavy) sounding', music for this voice is typically written in the range from the second F below middle C to the F above middle C (i.e. F2-F4) in choral music, and to G above middle C (i.e. F2-G4) in operatic music, though it can be extended at either end. It is one octave below the mezzo-soprano voice range in women."
Hope that helps
Vic
Old 06-09-2009, 08:06 PM

I also have a baritone voice. I do not think it is so much a question as to which key you transpose to because it depends on the range of the song. You have to find what is the highest note in the song you will have to sing and also what is the lowest,less importantly. start there and transpose downward until you are comfortable. I find this is an excellent way to get to know the guitar also. If you have to learn a song in several keys it really helps your "chops'.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM

Quote:
...I do not think it is so much a question as to which key you transpose to because it depends on the range of the song. You have to find what is the highest note in the song you will have to sing and also what is the lowest
Manageable Range is really what we are looking for.

I've found that female vocalists will usually ask you to play in A.
Male vocalists will normally ask for G.
Basses are comfortable in E.

Can female vocalists perform in something other than A? Of course. As mentioned it is the highs and lows of the song that determine what key a specific person will find most comfortable.

I like D, A is a little too high for me, but I can join in on the chorus, I just leave the high and low notes to others. I'm normally OK in G.

Last edited by Malcolm; 06-11-2009 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM

If you make the songs your own, you can use any key. Leonard Cohen does songs in G, A, D and C and sings an octave lower. Some might not like his voice, but I think he is very unique with this approach......... He may just be the epitome of baritone........
Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post
Manageable Range is really what we are looking for.

I've found that female vocalists will usually ask you to play in A.
Male vocalists will normally ask for G.
Basses are comfortable in E.

Can female vocalists perform in something other than A? Of course. As mentioned it is the highs and lows of the song that determine what key a specific person will find most comfortable.

I like D, A is a little too high for me, but I can join in on the chorus, I just leave the high and low notes to others. I'm normally OK in G.
I used to think G was my key, until just this week when I found that most of the covers I was planning to do (Beatles type stuff) was easier in A. Obviously some kind of transgender thing going on...

I usually start by finding where the chorus sounds best and work from there. I find there are very few songs I attempt that I can do without transposing, and I'll quite often tranpose to a key where I can play my favourite chord shapes, and then capo it if need be. I'd be lost without my capo these days.

Also, I find it's best that when I work a song out, I have to stretch just a little for those top notes, so that when it comes to playing live, it'll give the number a bit of intensity/emotion/whatever. Especially if your voice breaks going for that note - the audience will think you're just overcome by the emotional intensity of it all! Are you sure this how Mariah Carey started out?
Old 06-12-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzamundo View Post
I used to think G was my key, until just this week when I found that most of the covers I was planning to do (Beatles type stuff) was easier in A. Obviously some kind of transgender thing going on...

I usually start by finding where the chorus sounds best and work from there. I find there are very few songs I attempt that I can do without transposing, and I'll quite often tranpose to a key where I can play my favourite chord shapes, and then capo it if need be. I'd be lost without my capo these days.

Also, I find it's best that when I work a song out, I have to stretch just a little for those top notes, so that when it comes to playing live, it'll give the number a bit of intensity/emotion/whatever. Especially if your voice breaks going for that note - the audience will think you're just overcome by the emotional intensity of it all! Are you sure this how Mariah Carey started out?
Exactly!!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmaak View Post
I'm not sure there's a simple answer to this, especially with use of a capo. But "baritone" says to me "James Taylor", so you might want to listen to his music and see what keys/capo positions he uses
James Taylor's not a baritone. He's a tenor, perhaps a low tenor, but definitely not a baritone.

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 PM
The Foreigner

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats45 View Post
James Taylor's not a baritone. He's a tenor, perhaps a low tenor, but definitely not a baritone.
Thanks for clarifying. He always seems to sing everything within my own vocal range (which is very low and limited) so I had always assumed he was a baritone (as opposed to voices like Mick Hucknall's and Stevie Wonder's).
Transcriptions

(Yes, my PM Inbox is always full. For now, please send me an email at [my agf username]@gmail.com )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write