The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-06-2012, 10:44 PM

Default Bajo sexto/quinto players?

Just curious if anyone here plays or has experimented playing with a bajo sexto or quinto? From what I gather alot of conjunto players take the bottom strings off and are essentially playing quinto anyway...I rented one to play around with, trying to get a feel for it. The band I play in does a couple of Doug Sahm/Tx Tornadoes tunes as well as a couple of originals where that sound would work well. Any brands to check out/stay away from, any advice/recommendations on pickups, etc? Thanks!
Old 04-09-2012, 05:30 PM

No one? Ive checked out several and they all seemed really cheaply made and put together, a buddy builds guitars so Im thinking of having him build one for me that way I could be a bit more specific about what I want.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:48 PM

I didn't answer because the only Bajo Sexto I've owned was a Fender. Basically a baritone tele. I figured you were looking for experience with a real one I would strongly recommend one if you can find one. But yeah... Not exactly the real deal
Old 10-10-2012, 12:47 AM

I own and play one. Bought to use with The Nortec Collective. Just used it on Taboo's (from the Black Eyed Peas) new CD.

Acoustics: Martin D-35, 1924 Martin 0-28k, Taylor 814-ce, Gibson Dove, Lowden F-22, 60's Gibson Folksinger, Taylor 655, Martin Baritone (prototype), Larrivee Parlor (tuned high-strung)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:37 AM

I Play some Bajo Sexto/ Quinto

Whats uP

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments