The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-28-2015, 09:28 AM

Default Seeking Advise

This brief recording was made with a spaced pair of Gefell M300s>Apogee Quartet>Logic Pro X (10.1)>2015 MacBook Pro 2.2GHz. The mikes were placed 28.5" apart, 33" from the floor, 28.5" from the source (a Crafter GLXE 3000sk). The left mic was pointing at the 12th fret and the right mic at the bridge. The input level for both mikes was set to 56 in Apogee Quartet's Maestro and at 0.0db in Logic. The 12th fret mic was panned 24 degrees to the left, the bridge mic 24 to the right. There is no processing on this track at all. I had applied some EQ to earlier takes but turned it off before uploading this file to Soundcloud. My room is acoustically treated.
I feel this is my best effort to date (despite the "a" finger nail noise evident in the sixth passages) so feel somewhat encouraged but would really appreciate any and all constructive input, suggestions and advise on how to improve my recordings going forward.
Thanks,
Trevor

Old 08-29-2015, 07:18 AM

Hi Trevor,

You've documented your setup very well for us, but I guess my first question is what do you want your recordings to sound like?

Do you have in mind recordings of others that you could point us to so that we could better help you?

The sound of your desire may be approachable or not, given the tools you have. I remember hearing John Prine's guitar on his first LP. I was fascinated by the sound. How did they GET that?

I was working for a progressive/alternative FM in Washington, DC at the time and Prine came in for an interview. He was toting a guitar case and was prepared to play live! I thought, "HA! this will be fun!"

He unpacked a Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, tuned it and began to play ---- Oh, the guitar just sounded that way!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 08-29-2015, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Hi Trevor,

You've documented your setup very well for us, but I guess my first question is what do you want your recordings to sound like?

Do you have in mind recordings of others that you could point us to so that we could better help you?

The sound of your desire may be approachable or not, given the tools you have. I remember hearing John Prine's guitar on his first LP. I was fascinated by the sound. How did they GET that?

I was working for a progressive/alternative FM in Washington, DC at the time and Prine came in for an interview. He was toting a guitar case and was prepared to play live! I thought, "HA! this will be fun!"

He unpacked a Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe, tuned it and began to play ---- Oh, the guitar just sounded that way!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Thanks for responding to the duplicate thread. Here's a link to a recording from another thread that illustrates what I'm aiming for. The mikes employed are Gefell M300s which I'm also using. Hope this helps to clarify my goal.
http://dcoombsguitar.com/Guitar%20Music/Rebecca.wav
Old 08-29-2015, 12:49 PM

Yours isn't as loud. Maybe compression and/or limiting was used to pump the other one up. You can do that fairly simply with software.

Yours has a bit more room ring. I like recording fairly dry and adding two separate reverbs, a long and a short, to taste.

Here's my Martin Baritone miced with three mics and the direct pickup. No reverb added, just to show what a nicely damped space will do wiht two Schoeps and a Neumann (and a DTar direct pickup system.)

There's a bunch of me describing what's going on before John actually starts playing, so don't be afraid to scroll in.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 08-29-2015, 12:50 PM

Hey Ty, if you drop by the thread entitled "Seeking Recording Advise" and go to the 3rd page you'll see that I've posted an aif of this clip with the weird inverted panning corrected. I understand what you're saying re: the tools, the player and the instrument having more to do with the sound quality than the recording gear and skills of the engineer. That said, I'm still new to the world of home recording and anxious to learn more about this fascinating subject.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
Yours isn't as loud. Maybe compression and/or limiting was used to pump the other one up. You can do that fairly simply with software.

Yours has a bit more room ring. I like recording fairly dry and adding two separate reverbs, a long and a short, to taste.

Here's my Martin Baritone miced with three mics and the direct pickup. No reverb added, just to show what a nicely damped space will do wiht two Schoeps and a Neumann (and a DTar direct pickup system.)

There's a bunch of me describing what's going on before John actually starts playing, so don't be afraid to scroll in.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Great sounding clip. The Schoeps and Neumann sound really complimentary. I've only got one acoustically untreated corner in my recording space but it's behind the left channel mic so I'll try positioning my connected portable gobos behind it.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 PM

That was fascinating! Many thanks!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD