The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Clocking question/converter choice

Posted before about an Apogee Rosetta 200 I have. I have decided to pick up a Fireface UCX to have as an alternate/less colored converter.

Just wondering which one would be better as the clock source. My monitoring environment is not optimal so I would likely not be able to judge. Mixing will be done else ware.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-05-2015, 06:59 AM
Charter Member

Perhaps your post could use some further clarification.

When you say "alternate" do you mean alternate( as instead of) or are you really meaning additional ?

If actually alternate then just use the internal clock on which ever unit you are using.

Or are you looking to use more than 2 channels of microphone/preamp inputs, at the same time ? (additional) And you are deciding which one to use as the master clock and slave the other one to it.

Understanding that the general consensus among converter experts and mfg.'s is that even a mid level internal clock is likely to introduce less distortion than a high end master and slave clocking situation.

So if it were me I and I was sure I needed more than 2 channels of mic input at the same time. First I would see if I could bypass the conversion on the Rosetta and just use mic/pres come out of the Rosetta line outs and go into the line in's on the Fireface and use it's internal clock to do all the conversion

If you can't bypass the rosetta clock then I would choose the Fireface as Master and slave the Rosetta to it (simply because it is the newer design of the the two units)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Perhaps your post could use some further clarification.

When you say "alternate" do you mean alternate( as instead of) or are you really meaning additional ?

If actually alternate then just use the internal clock on which ever unit you are using.

Or are you looking to use more than 2 channels of microphone/preamp inputs, at the same time ? (additional) And you are deciding which one to use as the master clock and slave the other one to it.

Understanding that the general consensus among converter experts and mfg.'s is that even a mid level internal clock is likely to introduce less distortion than a high end master and slave clocking situation.

So if it were me I and I was sure I needed more than 2 channels of mic input at the same time. First I would see if I could bypass the conversion on the Rosetta and just use mic/pres come out of the Rosetta line outs and go into the line in's on the Fireface and use it's internal clock to do all the conversion

If you can't bypass the rosetta clock then I would choose the Fireface as Master and slave the Rosetta to it (simply because it is the newer design of the the two units)
Thanks for the response Kewwind

currently have a Great river pre going into the Rosetta. Upgraded my computer and Appogee no longer has windows support. So I am getting the Fireface. This will give me 2 more Mic pres and plenty of inputs and output conversion.

So I will run the Rosetta via SPIDF through the Fireface into the computer.
So you think being a newer unit (and comparable conversion quality) the Fireface would have a better clock.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 08-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Posted before about an Apogee Rosetta 200 I have. I have decided to pick up a Fireface UCX to have as an alternate/less colored converter.

Just wondering which one would be better as the clock source. My monitoring environment is not optimal so I would likely not be able to judge. Mixing will be done else ware.
Apogee Rosetta 200 R and L analog out to analog in of Fireface UCX. Fireface UCX does all the AD conversion. No synching up clocks.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-05-2015, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Apogee Rosetta 200 R and L analog out to analog in of Fireface UCX. Fireface UCX does all the AD conversion. No synching up clocks.
Thanks Rick:
Then why use the Rossetta at all (unless I want the colored sound) Why not go direct from the great river analog out into the analog in of the Fireface. This would still give me 4 mic pres and 4 channels of conversation.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 08-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbroady View Post
Thanks Rick:
Then why use the Rossetta at all (unless I want the colored sound) Why not go direct from the great river analog out into the analog in of the Fireface. This would still give me 4 mic pres and 4 channels of conversation.
Right, if you don't need to use the Rossetta mike pres then you don't need the Rossetta. If you knew that already then what was your original question about?

If you want to use the Rossetta A/D on occasion because you feel it has a different sound then have the Rossetta be the master clock (clock located in the same
unit that is doing the A/D conversion).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

Last edited by rick-slo; 08-05-2015 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Right, if you don't need to use the Rossetta mike pres then you don't need the Rossetta. If you knew that already then what was your original question about?

If you want to use the Rossetta A/D on occasion because you feel it has a different sound then have the Rossetta be the master clock (clock located in the same
unit that is doing the A/D conversion).
I was just wondering if there is a diffinitive answer as to which converter would be/have a better clock.

Still going through my learning curve.
Thanks, Rick
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

I doubt there is much difference in the clocks between those two units, i.e., the AD and DA converter specs should be very close to each other. There may be differences in the pre-AD and post-DA analog stages from both units and if there is any difference in sound, that is likely where it lies.

As Kevwind mentioned, running AD or DA converters from an external clock (which requires use of a PPL circuit) is not as good as running the AD and DA from an internal clock (assuming the clocks are the same). It's complicated, but the results are not the same.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD