The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-17-2014, 12:41 PM

Default Anyone ever build a custom case?

I had an ah-ha moment while sitting around in class. For all the people that love their guitars, or have beautifully hand-crafted pieces of art, why do we all put the guitars in the same old gig bag or hardshell case?

I'm trying to come up with an idea to make a custom case from wood that looks as beautiful as the guitar it holds. Wood is much heavier than plastic, but I think I can make the case out of light woods such as birch and still come up with something less than 15 lbs, or whatever weight someone is compforatble with handling.

I can handle 15 lbs easily, but lighter is better. Such a case could go on aircraft easily since wood is able to withstand more weight than plastic.

I'm thinking of a design where the top half and bottom half are built like a canoe, with ribs that form an arch, or a cage around the guitar to distribute weight around the instrument, while filling in the spaces with foam lined with felt or some other cloth that won't hurt the finish. The outside can be light plywood, sanded and stained to a good finish. What would result is something that could take a serious beating and still protect the guitar, which for some people is a few thousand dollars.

But this case isn't black, what if it was painted like a piece of art, and could be used as the backdrop behind the guitar when on display?

I've been thinking all day about this idea and I might try it, but I would like to know who else has done something similar? I know folks that have custom electric guitars build their own cases sometimes, but what about for acoustics?

--James
Old 04-17-2014, 01:04 PM

There are people making custom cases, but it takes considerable effort to make a strong & light case.

Your comparison of wood versus plastic is not quite accurate. Depending upon the structure, there are circumstances where plastic can trump wood's strength.

15 lbs is heavy for a guitar case.

SKB makes some nice new cases:

http://www.skbcases.com/music/produc...t=1&c=75&s=75#

If I remember correctly, price is only 3 or 4 hundred dollars. Good price for a quality flight case that even is called "submersible".

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 04-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Location: Darwin, Australia, 12.5 degrees south of the equator

HERE is some inspiration for you James.

I have made a wooden case before but would not bother again unless someone paid me for something fancy like the above one. Hiscox make good value for money cases, they make a 1.5mm ABS job that they have videos of five men standing on it with a guitar inside, they also make them in 2mm and 2.5mm.

Jim
Old 04-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

It's an interesting idea. Do a little reading about cold moulding; a boatbuilding process in which multiple layers of veneer are built up into what amounts to a piece of curved plywood. I suppose you could also build up layers of veneer and nomex or carbon fiver to keep the weight down. It's not something I have the perseverance to try, but I applaud your ingenuity and creativity.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:04 PM

I doubt it would be feasible to make your own case as a normal, everyday, carry around case ...it would be just too heavy.

It would, however , definitely be feasible to make a plywood case with a screw down top, think "coffin" (or "casket" for US), with adequate upholstery inside, for purposes of shipping guitars by air. Such a case could be made absolutely bomb-proof.

I designed just such an item many years ago ... never did get round to manufacturing it ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair