The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-15-2014, 11:16 AM

Default first try at dovetail neck joint

This is my first try at a tapered blind dovetail neck joint. I have a pretty good book with photos and directions, but I'm having a problem it doesn't cover. I routed the joint till the neck was about 5/16" proud of the body, then stared working it down with sanding sticks. I've got it down flush with the body, more or less, but one side of the neck is higher than the other, in other words it has a little twist. If I take wood off the dovetail on one side, it swings the neck in that direction. Taking wood off the shoulders adjusts neck angle, but where do I remove wood to straighten the twist? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Danny Gray
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan of SC View Post
This is my first try at a tapered blind dovetail neck joint. I have a pretty good book with photos and directions, but I'm having a problem it doesn't cover. I routed the joint till the neck was about 5/16" proud of the body, then stared working it down with sanding sticks. I've got it down flush with the body, more or less, but one side of the neck is higher than the other, in other words it has a little twist. If I take wood off the dovetail on one side, it swings the neck in that direction. Taking wood off the shoulders adjusts neck angle, but where do I remove wood to straighten the twist? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Danny Gray
It just means either your dovetail or mortise is slightly twisted. Whichever side is risen up, you'll have to take some material off the dovetail on that side from the top tapering to zero at the bottom of the dovetail, and on the opposite side take material from the bottom of the dovetail to zero at the top. Do very little at a time and keep checking.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:42 PM

Thanks Louie, good description. I'll bet back after it!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair