The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-19-2014, 12:43 PM

Default Fixing Inexpensive Guitar

Two years ago my wife picked up a Epiphone DR-100 Guitar at the local music store sidewalk sale. I thought it had a good sound and enjoyed it for about a year. Then last year, the bridge started to lift. It still played fine, but I was concerned so I sent it to someone to fix. It looks like all they did was glue it back down. But what has also happened is that the neck has taken a wicked bend. The bend occurs just at the edge of the body. I have a straight edge across the frets over the body and the nut is a good 1/4" to 5/16" lower. So now all six strings fret at the 14th fret (at the body). I was going to toss the guitar, but I hate throwing anything out if I think it can be fixed. For giggles I adjusted the truss rod. I can see the tension change the curvature of the neck, but its not doing a thing for the bend in the neck. Oh, and it looks like the bridge is lifting again.

So I'm looking for some ideas. I really do like the sound for cheap guitar. Is there a fix for this? Can I use moisture or heat to try bending it back? Or do I just pull the tuning screws, bridge pins, and strap nuts for spares and chuck it? I'm using my grandfathers old Egmund (he has had since mid 60s) to take my lessons. I decided to learn to play since I am well into my 40s, and I am finding it a blast. Thanks all.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Quote:
the nut is a good 1/4" to 5/16" lower.
That is not a problem by itself, because the fingerboard drop-off won't cause buzzing. You symptom means there is a high fret at the body joint, which can be leveled. This is not an expensive fix.
However, the fact that there is so much drop-off means that the neck may be pitched too far back, and may require a high saddle or a thick bridge. In that case, too much string height over the top at the bridge (and the resultant extra torque) may be a factor in the bridge pulling up. The rule of thumb is that the strings should be about 1/2" off the top at the bridge.
Did the repair include removing the bridge and cleaning off the old glue and any finish left under the bridge? If not, it is no surprise that the bridge is lifting again.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:32 PM

I'll see if I can link a photo that tries to show the issue. The fingerboard over the body of the guitar is flat and parallel to the top of the body. The neck then bends and drops. I actually loosened the strut rod a tad and the neck curved a bit bringing the nut back up in line to the body a bit more. But its way down too far to be able to ring the strings.

The strings are about 1/2" off the top of the body back at the bridge. And, yes it appears the repair was just to glue over the original finish.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair