The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Default Looking for input on a new High end Acoustic

Hello All!
Since this is my very first post on here I wanted to introduce myself, I'm Jackson and I'm a songwriter, Worship Leader out of Raleigh NC.

Now for my question. I'm in the market for a new Acoustic to compliment the one i have currently. I know ultimately I need to go play several to see what feels right but I'm curious on some places ya'll would start or any experiences with some that ya'll would like to pass on. Currently I have a Martin 000-16GT. I love it and wouldn't sell it rather I'm looking to get something to compliment it but with a different tone. I was looking at a Gibson Songwriter Delux but was curious of other options I should try? Thank you guys!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:52 PM

Welome to the forum.

What playing style(s), genre(s), budget, aesthetic preferences etc?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:57 PM

The guitar you're considering cost around $3K new.
That's a nice budget.

I'd also give Martin, Taylor, Guild (American-made models) a try.

I'd also see if I could find a used, Huss and Dalton, Bourgeois, Goodall, Collings, Santa Cruz and the other fine brands in your price range.
Prices are soft now on the used market for guitars in this price range.
That means $3K is going to buy you a used guitar that would cost much more new.
Also, if you ever sell the guitar you're about to buy you won't lose much $$$ if you bought it used.

These are all very fine guitar brands, so you can't go wrong.
Just play as many as you can, then buy what you love the sound and feel of.
If needed, get a good set up whether you have to pay for it or not.

Take your time.
Don't let any salesperson pressure you; it's an important decision.

Last edited by Tico; 01-16-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:58 PM

Thumbs up

Howdy Jackson...you've come to the right place. Lots of feedback will be coming your way. What tone are you looking to move toward?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonhwall View Post
Hello All!
Since this is my very first post on here I wanted to introduce myself, I'm Jackson and I'm a songwriter, Worship Leader out of Raleigh NC.

Now for my question. I'm in the market for a new Acoustic to compliment the one i have currently. I know ultimately I need to go play several to see what feels right but I'm curious on some places ya'll would start or any experiences with some that ya'll would like to pass on. Currently I have a Martin 000-16GT. I love it and wouldn't sell it rather I'm looking to get something to compliment it but with a different tone. I was looking at a Gibson Songwriter Delux but was curious of other options I should try? Thank you guys!

Hi Jackson. If you are up for a road trip to Wrightsville Beach I have several you can try and a few for sale! Welcome and PM me if interested.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Hello All!

Welcome Jackson!

Since you have a Martin 000, and mention that you're Worship Leader, I would think it would be hard to go wrong with a Taylor Grand Auditorium, or even the larger Grand Symphony. I would start with the 400 series, maybe a 414ce standard or Rosewood, and move up from there.

Good luck
Old 01-16-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Hello All!

Hey Jackson. Go Wolfpack!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 03:11 PM

Have you checked out Soundpure in Durham?
Old 01-16-2018, 03:26 PM

Default Looking for input on a new High end Acoustic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Welcome Jackson!

Since you have a Martin 000, and mention that you're Worship Leader, I would think it would be hard to go wrong with a Taylor Grand Auditorium, or even the larger Grand Symphony. I would start with the 400 series, maybe a 414ce standard or Rosewood, and move up from there.

Good luck

He's right. It's pretty much a rule that if you play in church you have to play a Taylor. It's actually in the bylaws of many modern churches.

Here's mine:

2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2
Old 01-16-2018, 06:10 PM

In alphabetical order, I would look at these.

Alvarez Masterworks or Alvarez-Yairi*
Guild
Taylor*
Yamaha

*These two are different than the Martin tone. I would say Taylor is the most different where Alvarez is somewhere in between Martin and Taylor.
Old 01-16-2018, 06:33 PM

Welcome.

I suggest delayed gratification and start trying lots of stuff. That will sure help you know what you want vs be overly influenced by others.

Next, whoever mentioned budget was right. For some a high end guitar is $1,000 and for others 2x to 10x plus!

I confess to have bought and sold a lot of guitars so honestly learned there are many great ones. I don't have that complete or tribal brand bias many have. It's really nice that way - more reason to delay gratification and try lots of stuff.

For truly high end I did want a lot of versatility, comfort and something I thought would keep me happy for a long time. That ended up being a high end model that might have some dimensions like your 000. It's a Santa Cruz 14 fret 000 aka "OMS" model by them. Years later and I'm still happy.

Have fun shopping!
Old 01-16-2018, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum Jackson...glad to have you with us. Lots of great guitars in your price range. If you're looking for a dread and you like the Martin voicing I'd suggest the D-18 or newer D-28. Play as many as you can and see what speaks to you.
I help with a "blended" service with contemporary music and play all different kinds of acoustics. There is no right or wrong when it comes to what guitar you use to make a joyful noise! Let me know if I can help you.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-16-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Welcome Jackson!

Good luck
Agree with Ted, Taylor guitars been very popular and widely used in church worship and bands. I recommend them as well for something that is very different to Martin.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM

Taylors seem to be widely-used but in our praise and worship team, there are two Gibsons and a Guild. When I play as a substitute I use any one of my five acoustics listed in my signature. In all honesty, plugged in, they all work.
My advice is to find the one that speaks to you acoustically and plays the way you like. There are a lot of nice guitars for that kind of budget. Play as many as you can and have fun doing it.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 PM
Charter Member

I play P&W. Owned almost every standard model Taylor’s and countless Limiteds. With that said...

My next expensive Guitar will Be GIBSON SONGWRITER.

Last edited by SKYHIGH; 01-16-2018 at 08:40 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
gibson, martin, songwriter