The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2018, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Small body Gibson style guitar ???

Hi, just over a year ago, I bought myself a new Waterloo WL-12 because it sounded better than any of the Gibson L-00 style guitars I saw (and was better finished and set up)

I've been struggling with the guitar for some time and have decided to move it on
I'm really sad about this but the 1 & 3/4" nut width is still too small for me and I keep on fluffing notes.

So, my GAS was about a funky sounding (?) shorts scale small bodied 12 fret Gibson style instrument with at least a 1 & 13/16" nut width rather than a Martin style.

However, frankly, I have no idea what to look for.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by Kerbie; 01-15-2018 at 02:08 PM. Reason: Removed details
Old 01-15-2018, 01:24 PM

I'm not sure Gibson ever made a nut that wide.

I have a 1931 L-0 12-fretter (all mahogany), which was the predecessor of the L-00. It has a 1 3/4 nut, in combination with the fattest neck I have every played. Light as a feather, and very lively.

A few nice ones, a few beaters, and a few I should probably sell...
Old 01-15-2018, 02:06 PM

It depends on whether you want it to be a precise Gibson replica or something vaguely in that ballpark (irrelevant aside: do British people even HAVE ballparks?) Okay, let's rephrase that: something within that same cricket green, perhaps?

Ah, two nations, divided by the same language.

Anyway, if you're not insistent on exactly replicating a small-bodied Gibson, you should take a look at the Seagull "Folk" model guitars:

Seagull Folk model

These are worth picking up and trying out, if you can find any in music stores in your part of the Mother Country. They sound surprisingly good, and they have wider fingerboards than you might expect.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-15-2018, 03:50 PM

Yes, they ahave a 1.8 nut which is almost 1 13.16" so close enough but I think Gibson had a 2" nut called Folk guitar. Anyway it had pickguards on each side of the soundhole. That may jog your memory or someones.
I was playinga1 3/4 nut and had to go to a 1 13/16 for the same reason. Im a better player for it.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:28 PM

Might I suggest a Yairi PYM70

http://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/pym70/

Overall Length (mm)
Body Width (mm)
Body Depth at Heel (mm)
Body Depth at Base (mm)
Scale (mm)
Scale (inches)
24"
Number of frets
Nut Width (mm)
Nut Width (inches)
1 13/16"
Old 01-15-2018, 04:30 PM

While you're at it, I've been dying to hear a Yairi DYMR70SB in your hands. 12 fret dreadnought, 1 13/16 nut, and an absolutely stunning guitar.

http://alvarezguitars.com/guitar/dymr70sb/

Overall Length (mm)
Body Width (mm)
Body Depth at Heel (mm)
Body Depth at Base (mm)
Scale (mm)
Scale (inches)
25 1/2"
Number of frets
Nut Width (mm)
Nut Width (inches)
1 13/16"
Old 01-15-2018, 04:33 PM

Try looking for a Fraulini. They are ladder braced, sound great, and I'm sure some of them have wider nuts.

Mine is perfect for country blues.
Old 01-15-2018, 04:42 PM

Talking here ya go...

Silly, take a look...http://acousticguitarforum.com/forum...d.php?t=212438
Old 01-15-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, just over a year ago, I bought myself a new Waterloo WL-12 because it sounded better than any of the Gibson L-00 style guitars I saw (and was better finished and set up)

I've been struggling with the guitar for some time and have decided to move it on
I'm really sad about this but the 1 & 3/4" nut width is still too small for me and I keep on fluffing notes.

So, my GAS was about a funky sounding (?) shorts scale small bodied 12 fret Gibson style instrument with at least a 1 & 13/16" nut width rather than a Martin style.

However, frankly, I have no idea what to look for.

Does anyone have any ideas?
If you can, try to determine if the problem is with the nut width or with the string spacing at the nut. My Pono and my Farida both have 1/34 inch nuts (I've measured). The Pono feels cramped, and the Farida doesn't. String spacing is the reason. By the way, the Farida is said by others to be a clone of the Gibson LG2. Very comfortable to play, and very affordable. But it isn't a 12 fretter, even though it feels like it.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:20 PM

Most small Gibsons seem to be 14-fretters, so you might have a long search. I recommend you try one of these:
https://www.projectmusic.net/alvarez...sh-18825-p.asp
Neither Gibson nor Martin style. 12-fret, slot head, 1 3/4" nut, all solid.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM

I would like to second the recommendation of Pious Devil. My Alvarez Yairi PYM70 is a beautiful instrument in every way. Pricey, but worth it. I have a house full of guitars and this one is easily the most comfortable one I own. It falls into your hands, is extremely responsive and has a beautiful sound to my ears. My musical best friend.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

Doesn't the Martin 00-28vs have a wide neck? It's not very funky though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-15-2018, 09:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
It depends on whether you want it to be a precise Gibson replica or something vaguely in that ballpark (irrelevant aside: do British people even HAVE ballparks?) Okay, let's rephrase that: something within that same cricket green, perhaps?

Ah, two nations, divided by the same language.

Anyway, if you're not insistent on exactly replicating a small-bodied Gibson, you should take a look at the Seagull "Folk" model guitars:

Seagull Folk model

These are worth picking up and trying out, if you can find any in music stores in your part of the Mother Country. They sound surprisingly good, and they have wider fingerboards than you might expect.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

I have a pristine Seagull folk with hard Gator case that I am willing to let go if you are interested. Send me a PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:53 PM

the Gibson Keb Mo is a 12-fret guitar with 1.8-something" nut width.

Never played one.

f-d
Old 01-15-2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueser100 View Post
I have a pristine Seagull folk with hard Gator case that I am willing to let go if you are interested. Send me a PM.
When I was in Vancouver, British Columbia last year I bought a used and not even remotely pristine Seagull Folk model just so I'd have a guitar to play while I was making the long Alaska Marine Highway ferry trip from Bellingham, Washington to Whittier, Alaska. It's a great-sounding guitar. I'd go so far as to say that it's my all-time favorite beater guitar: it's amazingly full- and balanced-sounding.

whm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion