The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-11-2018, 04:35 PM

Default Larrivee "L" body guitars

Hello everyone.
I've been on a bit of a quest lately to find a single guitar, mostly for around-the-house picking, that suits my needs for mostly strumming, but some occasional flatpicking and fingerpicking as well. I currently own a Larrivee D-03 and Eastman E10OM. Both are great guitars but they have characteristics that leave me wanting something else.
The D-03 is an awesome guitar, but since getting the Eastman I'm finding the 1.75" nut width to be more comfortable, and the 1 11/16" just a little too narrow for me. Also, lately the larger dread body is becoming a little uncomfortable for me.
The Eastman E10OM is also an awesome guitar, but after owning this and trying other OM's, I'm realizing that I'd like to have something with a little more low-end than most OM's can provide. This one has an Adirondack top, which helps out a little (as well as headroom). This one also has a shorter scale, and I think I'd prefer a full 25.5" scale.

Long story short, I'm looking for something tonally that fits somewhere between a dread and an OM: decent low-end and volume, but with the clarity and string balance/even-ness (is that even a word) that an OM would traditionally provide. After some research, it seems the Larrivee L body guitars may fit this category.

As far as back and side woods, I'm still a little unsure. I don't have a lot of experience with rosewood guitars. I did spend the most time on a Martin OM-21 recently when trying out various guitars. But I also do enjoy the tone I get from both my mahogany D-03 and the E10OM. It seems others would suggest for strumming that a hog b/s would be the way to go. But there are times when I hear a rosewood Larry that sounds really good!

I love Larrivee guitars and their excellent build quality. I'm fairly set on going with Larrivee. My budget also is capped at about $1,400, so that's what also makes the Larrivee appealing. I had thought about trying an OM-40 series (again either hog or rosewood), but still unsure if that would provide the low-end and heavy-strumming headroom that I enjoy from a dread. I had briefly owned a Larrivee OM-02, and while it was a great guitar, it just didn't quite "wow" me tonally like I had hoped. It was the lower volume and lack of low end that did it (which I knew going into buying that guitar).

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to try out an L series in person.
What do you all think?

Thanks!

Last edited by wxfloyd; 01-11-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:47 PM

I had an L in lacewood that I thought really put the steel in what it meant to be a steelstring guitar.
Old 01-11-2018, 04:50 PM

L body Larrivees are great, versatile guitars. I can’t get along with the flat fretboard very well, but that is just a personal thing. Another thought is to take a look at Martin M sized guitars (M36 or custom M sized mahogany, or M15 from Gruhn). They are much more comfortable than a dread, but retain the big guitar sound.

Rb
Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the M36 is a little out of my price range.
I've also never really had an issue with the fingerboard radius on my D-03, so I don't think it'd be an issue even at the 1.75" nut width.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
L body Larrivees are great, versatile guitars. I can’t get along with the flat fretboard very well, but that is just a personal thing. Another thought is to take a look at Martin M sized guitars (M36 or custom M sized mahogany, or M15 from Gruhn). They are much more comfortable than a dread, but retain the big guitar sound.

Rb
Old 01-11-2018, 04:57 PM

I really like Larrivee Ls and I think it's likely to fit your needs rather well.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:02 PM

I’m a big fan of Larrivees too. However, in that price range you should try a Taylor 314 or 414 used. The lower bout of a dread but narrower waist. Your kind of splitting hairs between an OM and Dread.
Old 01-11-2018, 05:06 PM

The L series is such a versatile guitar that I have a hard time playing anything else. I just spent a few days with my brother in law's D60 (more expensive) and I greatly prefer my Ls.

In my opinion the L style is the quintessential Larrivee, and Larrivee guitars are the best bang for the buck *for advanced and pro players* of any guitar maker.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-11-2018, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

If you can make it to Durango, John at Shoreline Music https://shorelinemusic.com/collectio...-body?sort_by= appears to have several L-bodies in stock....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-11-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxfloyd View Post
-snip-
As far as back and side woods, I'm still a little unsure. I don't have a lot of experience with rosewood guitars. I did spend the most time on a Martin OM-21 recently when trying out various guitars. But I also do enjoy the tone I get from both my mahogany D-03 and the E10OM. It seems others would suggest for strumming that a hog b/s would be the way to go. But there are times when I hear a rosewood Larry that sounds really good!
I happen to prefer rosewood, but that is for my style of playing that incorporates a lot of jazz/extended chords. In general, you can get more guitar for the same money going with mahogany vs. rosewood. Since you already like it, that's probably your best bet. Plus the pool of available guitars in mahogany is much higher.

I was at the factory last week talking with Jean and came away with the clear understanding that the biggest determinant of the Larrivee sound is the distinctive bracing. Of course top and b/s wood contribute as well, but I am amazed at how the dreads resemble Ls, which resemble OMs etc. They ALL have a sonic signature that (for me) instantly identifies them.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-11-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
If you can make it to Durango, John at Shoreline Music https://shorelinemusic.com/collectio...-body?sort_by= appears to have several L-bodies in stock....
It looks like John’s current stock of L’s are all sold out. While I’ve already considered making the trek, Durango is at least a 6 hour drive from me.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post

Rb
Larrivee steel string guitars do not have a "flat fingerboard". They have a 17" to 21" compound radius. Granted, that is not as curved as many other luthiers' acoustic guitars, but it is not flat.
Old 01-11-2018, 06:48 PM

I should have been more specific...the fretboards are flatter than many other steel string neck. No, they are not dead flat, but flat enough to give me a little trouble. Others have no trouble whatsoever.

Rb
Old 01-11-2018, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
I really like Larrivee Ls and I think it's likely to fit your needs rather well.
I agree. I’ve owned and enjoyed my share of Larrivée guitars and my favorite was an L-09.

A similar steal in an intermediate body size would be a used Avalon, like the one for sale in the AGF classifieds. It’s a little more than $1400 but they are truly sweet instruments. I’ve never owned one but have played several over the years and wanted to take them all home.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

I've owned several versions of the L body Larrivee. To me its the Swiss Army Knife of guitars. It can do it all. That being said...(and this is just my personal preference) I much prefer Larrivee's mahogany guitars to their EIR models. There are those who feel just the opposite I'm sure...just my 2 cents?
Regardless of your tone wood preference the L body Larrivee is a great guitar! Best of luck!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-11-2018, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguy View Post
I’m a big fan of Larrivees too. However, in that price range you should try a Taylor 314 or 414 used...
I agree with this. The Taylor GA size is designed to have more volume and bass than your typical OM/000.

The Larrivee "L" models are even bigger than the Taylor GA and are louder with more bass than the GA.

Both are brilliant guitars IMO.

YMMV.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion