The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-03-2017, 04:28 PM

Default Busking - Suggestions on Locations

My son is a viola player. He is looking to busk. I've given him some suggestions on location, but he doesn't seem to trust my judgement. Perhaps my judgement is incorrect (I mentioned farmers markets... Outside the C-Train stations... In trendier parts of our city - where local stores and local neighbourhood pride still matters)... He plays classical pieces. Anyone here have any suggestions where a soon-to-be 15 year old w/exceptional skills would be best able to make some side money? That's his motivation. His inspiration is the music. Fortunately!

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan
Old 12-03-2017, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

I am a father of a 23 year old that is just now starting to listen to me. Enjoy the ride.

I would situate him in a safe, commercial or arts district with 10-20 feet of an area that listeners can congregate. Street noise or nearby restaurant/bar noise can be harsh so maybe think of a drug store or other quiet store with foot traffic. Farmers markets are great too.

I hope he does well. Have him play some carols this time of year.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:23 PM

What is someone living in Calgary, Alberta doing with an Everton FC username?...that threw me completely!!

I have played on the street (busked) in the UK & Europe for over thirty years and from your username, I was going to recommend Church Street in Liverpool [UK], where I had many, many happy times over the years.

Scousers are fantastic, lovable people who really appreciate live music and I had some real rockin' on times there but alas, it would be a bit of too far for you I fear!

As for the USA, I don't have a clue where you'd go, but just remember the first rule of busking..........THERE ARE NO RULES!! .........Just set up somewhere you feel comfortable, play a few good tunes and enjoy the reaction...............simple!
Danelectro DC59-12 (open G)
Generic Parlor
Banjo- (An ideal Cricket Bat)

Last edited by Onemanband; 12-03-2017 at 06:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:04 PM

I think I could do that. I'm an amateur though,compared to a lot of other guitar players.

"In The Wind"
Old 12-03-2017, 08:03 PM

Library
Museum

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-03-2017, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemanband View Post
.......THERE ARE NO RULES!! .........Just set up somewhere you feel comfortable, play a few good tunes and enjoy the reaction...............simple!
There are actually rules. First check with your city to see what the busking or pan-handling laws are. Many cities (I have no idea about yours) have time limits (one hour per location for example) and some don't. Some have application requirements of which some require auditions which are held once annually. Some don't allow money solicitation...... Some have few rules but most have some laws/rules/requirements. Once you know the laws in your city, and if you need a permit, then find safe, well lit, busy street areas to start out at.

Farmer's markets usually require being hired by the promoters which is typical of most events and venues. Once you know the laws/rules in your city, county, territory, state, province...... you'll be set to start looking for locations.

Last edited by ManyMartinMan; 12-03-2017 at 11:00 PM.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 AM

Default Restrictions

My town== Clermont , FL has a little known ordinance NO ELECTRONIC AMPLIFICATION ALLOWED
Old 12-04-2017, 08:26 AM

Assuming he would be doing it in Clgary, here are some links for you:
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...uidelines.aspx Lots of info including WHERE, and a link to getting a busking ID card. Buskers under 16 must have a parent/guardian with them at all times.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/busking

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 12-04-2017, 09:41 AM

Just warn him that if he busks in an area where panhandlers tend to gather, he might be approached by some of them. None of them have been aggressive with me but some have gently stated that this is their home ground. I move right away, or just tell him that I'll be gone in x number of minutes. Business owners can be jerks too. On the positive side, I've had the best luck outside of liquor stores that have adjacent drugmarts, and in one case a medical clinic. Also expect the occasional bad day where people are just not in the mood to listen or give.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
Assuming he would be doing it in Clgary, here are some links for you:
http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/Recreatio...uidelines.aspx Lots of info including WHERE, and a link to getting a busking ID card. Buskers under 16 must have a parent/guardian with them at all times.

https://www.calgarytransit.com/busking
He's got the license. I was thinking generically, where the best spots would be. On the street, in the Inglewood neighbourhood here came to mind, immediately. My wife and I, or one of us at least, would be w/him. We have two daughters, 9 & 11, looking to do the same. My son made $20 this summer, busking at our neighbourhood yard sale. Pretty cool.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 12-04-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onemanband View Post
What is someone living in Calgary, Alberta doing with an Everton FC username?...that threw me completely!!

I have played on the street (busked) in the UK & Europe for over thirty years and from your username, I was going to recommend Church Street in Liverpool [UK], where I had many, many happy times over the years.

Scousers are fantastic, lovable people who really appreciate live music and I had some real rockin' on times there but alas, it would be a bit of too far for you I fear!

As for the USA, I don't have a clue where you'd go, but just remember the first rule of busking..........THERE ARE NO RULES!! .........Just set up somewhere you feel comfortable, play a few good tunes and enjoy the reaction...............simple!
Born in Brooklyn, NY. Moved to Orange County NY, later on. Went to Univ. of Kansas, met my wife, came to Calgary. Everton's always been my club. Long, harmless story! Would love to busk w/my kids in Liverpool, though.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Old 12-04-2017, 12:18 PM
Charter Member

He needs to be set up somewhere the foot traffic slows down. Close to a park or restaurant with a strong lunch business. Given that he plays classical, I would recommend somewhere in a high rent district. Many moons ago I busked in a downtown area close to a popular lunch spot. From noon to about 2:00 or 3:00 I could rack in some pretty good cash, but after the lunch business was over tips dropped considerably. And yes please get permission first.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 12-10-2017, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick's Goat Whiskey Picks View Post
He needs to be set up somewhere the foot traffic slows down. Close to a park or restaurant with a strong lunch business. Given that he plays classical, I would recommend somewhere in a high rent district. Many moons ago I busked in a downtown area close to a popular lunch spot. From noon to about 2:00 or 3:00 I could rack in some pretty good cash, but after the lunch business was over tips dropped considerably. And yes please get permission first.
Just getting to this - and I agree 100%. He's got all the permits, and will be able to get the "permissions", I think. Christmas season may also prove beneficial for my busking young lad! Three of my four had recitals this evening - chamber recitals tomorrow evening. They are good, humble kids. All would benefit fiscally, sharing their "craft", in the right location (Ages 15, 12, 10. My 21 year old sings Gregorian Chant. I am downloading some Molly Tuttle off iTunes this evening. We all function in the same household universe!)

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1930s Harmony Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
busking