The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-09-2017, 05:55 PM

I used to travel a lot and struggled with the same issue.
What I liked best was an electric mini strat $99(loosen the strings and take the neck off, fits in a carry on), with headphones. I sometimes took a ukulele and that was fun as well.

Still have a Martin Backpacker that I took to Cleveland, it was just OK, but the cool thing was a private concert with Don McClain who played it, and let me take pics while signing it.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:08 PM

I picked up an Emerald x7 os for business travel because I often need to leave it in the hot car for hours at a time. It's a 24" scale, a good deal shorter than the full 25.5"+ scale I typically play, but it's close enough. It sounds good unplugged, but isn't too loud for a hotel room. It's got a built in tuner and the case it came with has a pocket that has room for a medium sized binder that I keep practice material in. It's a bit pricey because of the carbon fiber, but in 100oF weather, it's worth the peace of mind to be able to leave it in the trunk while I work. It surprised me how responsive the guitar is, and I would say that it's a better fingerstyle instrument. But then again, it forces me to flatpick more softly and pull the volume and tone out of the guitar with a bit more control--a skill worth practicing in its own right.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Gibson L-00 size or Martin 00 size in the 'medium classical' Hiscox flight case is pretty lightweight if you must have a real guitar....

I have not tried one yet, but these look cool:

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...products/savoy

bigger size:

https://www.blackbirdguitar.com/coll...cts/el-capitan

BluesKing777.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Of course I'm extremely biased, but I love my Journey OF660 for traveling. It's going with me in a few weeks to sunny Puerto Vallarta.

Cheers...

Todd in Chicago

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I used to travel a bit and always played online games in the hotel so I know it's important to your sanity to have something to do. I may have to start doing a little business travel again (fortunately less than before) and have given some thought to a travel guitar. This one has the same nut and scale as my favorite Taylor acoustic so I think it would be a great option. If I find a used one cheap I'm going to get one to try it out.

Strange timing on this thread. I just found this forum a few weeks ago and just purchased the ultra-light travelers guitar a couple of days ago. I travel for work every other week for 3 to 4 nights at a time. That time away from my guitar has been obvious in my playing. I chose that traveling guitar due to its small size. I need something that I can carry onto a plane along with my carry-on and backpack. I do not care how it sounds. I am trying to find a way to practice.

My initial thoughts on the ultra-light. The neck feels great. Playing it in your lap is a little awkward since the metal lap rest is a little short and slippery. I am going to fix the slippery rest by putting rubber tubing over it. When playing standing, it is difficult to keep the guitar in place due to the lack of weight and size of the guitar. Maybe I am not used to playing this thing yet.

Overall, I am really pleased with this purchase (used from Reverb) so far. For a couple of hundred bucks, I have a small guitar that I can carry onto an airplane so that I can play guitar when I am in hotel rooms.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:13 PM

Since 2009, solution for me has been Brunner guitars.

First a custom redwood/walnut full body, then a carbon small body.
Each with its own character.
Come at a price, sure, but this is serious stuff.
You can practice your next gig right in the airport waiting for your plane.

And they are beautiful to boot, which is not always the case for some travel guitars. To my taste anyway. YMMV.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 02-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
The Blackbird Rider was my answer. Plays great, sounds great, very compact, impervious to temp/humidity changes, and I love the look. (stock photo)

I was about to mention that any small CF guitar is a great travel instrument. I sold mine because I stopped traveling with a guitar, but these guitars are impervious to so many elements and still stay in tune. They are just a very practical real solution.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:47 AM

http://www.furch.cz/en/travel-guitars/detail/lj10cm/
Old 02-11-2017, 02:02 AM

I've used my Taylor GS Mini M for travel for years. It's going on a 3 week cruise with me in a few days. Before that I used a CA Cargo.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-11-2017, 03:11 AM

I love my Martin (baby) LX1E for its tone and build quality but I also have a jamstik for hotel room practice and experimentation with midi instruments.

David Vachell
https://soundcloud.com/david-vachell
Old 02-11-2017, 05:30 AM

I really like my Voyage Air OM2C - never been a problem travelling with it anywhere. However my new travel guitar of choice is actually my mandolin...
Old 02-11-2017, 09:37 AM

Journey Overhead CF660. Travels perfect. been all over with it. Add a Tonewood effects amp and you got a delightful, convenient music maker!

1920's Mayflower OM
1929 National Tricone Style 2 Round neck
1996 Gibson Hummingbird
1939 Martin 018
1930's Martin Style O soprano uke
2007 Kamaka Tenor Uke
1970 Martin OO21
1923 Gibson tenor Banjo
Old 02-11-2017, 09:43 AM

http://stewartguitars.com/

Check out Stewart. They go into a case that looks like a laptop bag. They play and sound good. I've had the Blackbird Rider, GS Mini, Martin Backpacker, Mini strat, and the Stewart. The Stewart wins for ease of travel hands down.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuchak View Post
http://stewartguitars.com/

Check out Stewart. They go into a case that looks like a laptop bag. They play and sound good. I've had the Blackbird Rider, GS Mini, Martin Backpacker, Mini strat, and the Stewart. The Stewart wins for ease of travel hands down.
You can actually do that with most electric guitars. I wouldn't ever consider an electric guitar as a "travel" guitar....... especially...... on an acoustic guitar forum.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM

I have a Yamaha SLG 200S and it is great for travel, and allows you to play and only hear through headphones, which is beneficial in a hotel environment. It also allows you you plug in your iPhone/iPad and blend in tracks or any music you want to play along with. And with the new mic modeling in the 200 it sounds incredible plugged in or through your headphones. I love mine.

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
travel guitar