The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: Which did you buy, the Bose L1 Compact or the Fishman SA220?
Bose L1 Compact 10 10.75%
Bose L1 Compact and a Bose T1 Mixer 12 12.90%
Bose L1 Compact and another Mixer/Processor/Extension 10 10.75%
Fishman SA 220 29 31.18%
Fishman SA 220 and another Mixer/Processor/Extension 6 6.45%
Another compact PA solution 27 29.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-27-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Dave;

I agree that the T1 is an expensive piece of gear, but I have to say that it is an AMAZING LITTLE unit! When I first bought it, I did so because I got such a great price on a used L1 Model I that I justified it, knowing that Bose gear is notoriously proprietary (doesn't play well with others!)...

When I started digging in to the thing and all that it can do - and I still haven't found out everything yet! - I was stunned! What I thought was an expensive little mixer turns out to be the most fabulous mixer I have ever used!

There are so many different aspects to the thing, to what it can do to any of the channels, that I won't even go into listing them here... suffice to say that a unit that has a manual of 100 "small print" pages has got some serious capabilities!

Not to mention that it was designed to be used with the L1 family...
No doubt. It's a cool piece of gear. I was temped to get this system for the T1 alone. And, had they integrated it with the L1 compact, like they did with the bigger L1s, I might have done just that.

I'm kind of enjoying putting the results into numbers.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Sean, on an unrelated note, I listed to some of your music on the website. You've got a great voice. Are you using any vocal effects other than a touch of reverb?
Well thank you very much. Nope, just a bit -- maybe a bit more than a bit, but not too much -- of my SA220 reverb (setting #2!). A good mic probably doesn't hurt either; I'm using a Heil PR35. Thanks again. And great thread!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 05-28-2015, 12:48 AM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
No doubt. It's a cool piece of gear. I was temped to get this system for the T1 alone. And, had they integrated it with the L1 compact, like they did with the bigger L1s, I might have done just that.

I'm kind of enjoying putting the results into numbers.
Not sure what you mean by "integrating it" into the Compact? The T1 is NOT standard equipment with the L1 Model II... you gotta pay the rate. Are you referring to the nifty "combination" cord that sends signal to the Model II while providing AC to the T1? If so, I'm surprised that the Compact does not have that capability...

I'm guessing that the "numbers" are from gigs you're doing? If so, good on you! Actual paying gigs in this area seem rare as hen's teeth... in any event, I'm glad you are happy with the Fishman unit...

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 05-28-2015, 06:10 AM

Default Bose L1 Compact vs Fishman SA220

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
Well thank you very much. Nope, just a bit -- maybe a bit more than a bit, but not too much -- of my SA220 reverb (setting #2!). A good mic probably doesn't hurt either; I'm using a Heil PR35. Thanks again. And great thread!

You're welcome. I've come to like reverb #2 also. Sadly, I cannot find descriptions of the 4 settings. I have been toying with a TC Helicon unit and I like the effects. Not so sure the harmony features are all that useful for me. I'm always interested in learning about what other singers are using. In fact, it seems like a good idea for a thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited by martingitdave; 05-28-2015 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean by "integrating it" into the Compact? The T1 is NOT standard equipment with the L1 Model II... you gotta pay the rate. Are you referring to the nifty "combination" cord that sends signal to the Model II while providing AC to the T1? If so, I'm surprised that the Compact does not have that capability...

I'm guessing that the "numbers" are from gigs you're doing? If so, good on you! Actual paying gigs in this area seem rare as hen's teeth... in any event, I'm glad you are happy with the Fishman unit...

You're correct, I meant the nifty digital combo power/signal cable. Having a power cord and brick plus an analog mixer out to the compact unit seems like a missed opportunity to me.

WRT/ the numbers comment, I was referring to the poll numbers in the thread. Otherwise, I've not been very successful at "selling" anyone folk music. ;-) But, I am building a small following in my community.

Definitely enjoying the Fishman unit!

Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. I've come to like reverb #2 also. Sadly, I cannot find descriptions of the 4 settings. ....
Yup. They mention there are 4 of them in the manual but never say what they are. I contacted Fishman to ask and they said they are all Hall reverbs with different decay values.

In all the discussions about this setup it often seems to get missed that the case has velcro straps on the outside to attach a mic / guitar stand or both if you are creative.
Old 06-10-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuchak View Post
Yup. They mention there are 4 of them in the manual but never say what they are. I contacted Fishman to ask and they said they are all Hall reverbs with different decay values.

In all the discussions about this setup it often seems to get missed that the case has velcro straps on the outside to attach a mic / guitar stand or both if you are creative.

I was pleasantly surprised to find those straps you mentioned. Thanks for the tip on the reverbs. It would explain why they sound so similar.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Are you referring to the nifty "combination" cord that sends signal to the Model II while providing AC to the T1? If so, I'm surprised that the Compact does not have that capability....
This is the thing that puts me off the Compact. Surely the Compact will be refreshed soon, with a T1 direct connection.

The T1 is a superb piece of kit but is facing competition from QSC and others.
Martin J40
Old 06-11-2015, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

I bought both the Fishman and the Bose but sold the Fishman. Currently also using a Schertler Jam 150 and AER Compact 60. One needs different amps for different applications!
Old 06-18-2015, 03:47 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulin View Post
Tell me that when you are 75 and still gigging.
---well, paulin........if you're 75 and still gigging.....one would hope or assume that you're good enough to afford a "roadie".......
Old 06-18-2015, 04:18 PM

.....bought an SA220 "Fishstick" a few years ago.....great acoustic guitar reproduction..........lacks some bass.......but with no sub woofer, it seems to blend and project well. Though it fits the category of "Portable PA" well....its overall design has room for improvement.....the main unit is a bit bulky, which by simply separating it into two interconnecting components, would render the unit more portable....(not to mention cutting the weight of the 25 lb upper unit in 1/2)....the lower tripod stand, though quite sturdy, again, could be designed to break down into two interconnecting components, in which the entire unit could then be stored in a more manageable padded case...(the current one is a bit long and bulky, and the wheels are a bit small, and wobbly.....the wheels need to be mounted a bit further apart).....OVERALL, a great unit......and with the aforementioned improvements......would literally be.....PERFECT!........

Last edited by dgt178; 06-18-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:33 PM

I bought one of the Fishman Soloamps new (which gives you an idea of when) and used it faithfully until a few weeks ago. I like the unit, but not enough. I want/need a swiss army knife and it is not that. It does what it does well, but I find that even for that part, I wasn't ever 100% happy. I had very limited experience with the Bose but still preferred the fishstick. Since the poll allowed for other options, here's my experience.

I purchased a Carvin AG300 to replace the sold fishstick and first impressions are quite good. We'll see how that goes.

I like the sound better than the Fishman. The Carvin obviously has more bottom end but there is a warmth to the sound that I never heard in the Fishman. I also like the way the Carvin responds to my pickups better than the fishman did (a Sunrise and a McIntyre). I did a number of gigs as a sideman with a full band and didn't feel comfortable using the fishstick as an acoustic amp. I just went through the PA which caused its own issues. There was a harshness with the fishstick that I couldn't dial out and I felt like it didn't sound good on my guitar without a lot of external gear. My first listens to the AG300 make me think it will work for me without outboard gear and as an acoustic amp in band situations.

I expect the Fishman has better coverage. I read somewhere that it is not a true line array so it doesn't get all of the advantages of that design but I was always very happy with the coverage I got from it. My expectation is that I'll need an extension speaker with the Carvin to get similar coverage.

The control format is friendlier on the fishstick. While the Carvin has a 3rd channel, I don't think it is any more usable than the other in's on the back of the fishman.

While the weight of the two units is similar, perhaps it is the shape, but the Carvin feels like a more difficult schlep.

There were times when I used the Fishstick beyond its intended design - with an external mixer and two guitars, two vocals, and occasionally a cajon. The Carvin will be better able to deal with that when/if it happens again.

Power is similar and without having the two next to each other, volume strikes me as comparable.

At least after my first listens, I do prefer the sound of the Carvin even when used for the exact same purposes as the intended design of the Fishman. And it costs less even if you add stands and an extension speaker.

It is nice to have options, each with its own strengths and weaknesses.
that's me on guitar
Old 02-01-2016, 05:47 PM

I had a SA220 for a while. It was very portable and I think the coverage is good for small spaces. The BOSE is not as portable and more expensive. I think they both have great sound.

I bought two QSC K10s and a KW181 for family events so I let go of my SA220 and now use the following for solo gigs.
  • TC Helicon VoiceSolo Powered Monitor
  • QSC K10 on speaker stand, line out to VoiceSolo monitor
  • TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 Extreme, mono out to K10
  • Microphone and stand, plugged into VL3x
  • Guitar and stand, plugged into VL3x
  • Trying to add the Singular Sound Beat Buddy to my rig, but haven't had a chance to work it all out yet. It would connect mono out into K10 (midi to VL3)

Not as compact as just the SA220, but I have great sound, great coverage, and lots more power if needed.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro
Old 02-01-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
"Plasticine" is my new favorite word of the day.
"....plasticine porters with looking glass ties" - Lennon/mcCartney (actually Lennon) - 1967.
Old 02-02-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
....Also, a note of thanks to the many members who have posted about their experiences with these systems. Your reviews and advice were very useful in helping to make my final purchase decision. I am also grateful for the others who figured out the tricks to making these things work. I think the power of this forum is sharing information and experiences that help us to make better music for ourselves, and others, to enjoy.
...and a note of thanks to yourself as well. Your initial post on this thread was wonderfully written, with an obvious sense of scrutiny, careful thought, and diplomacy. Well done, and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts in such detail.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification