The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-29-2014, 09:06 PM

Default Camping guitar

I am learning guitar since 1/2 year and have a Washburn WD11SEC which I am quite happy with. But I don't know other guitars. Now I need to prepare for the camping season but I'm reluctant to take my Washburn because we are essentially in the dirt all day long (Don't want to ruin and scratch that buitiful instrument!). I'm looking for a camping guitar which must be palyable and doesn't fall apart on the slightest touch. I have searched this forum and the web and found these options:

Rogue RA-100D $70 - full size?
Oscar Schmidt OG1 $95 - 3/4 size
Washburn OF2 $100 - full size?
Jasmine S35 $100 - full size?
Yamaha JR-1 $130 - 3/4 size
Guitar Works GWTR-1 $130 - small size
Luna Safari $150 - 3/4 size
Mitchell MDJ10 $150 - samller size

I would like to have a smaller guitar because my car is always extremely jammed. But I have adult size fingers and don't want a kids guitar with the strings too close. Price is very important - but I rather pay a couple of bucks more if it translates into great value.

What are your thoughts?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:31 PM

Yamaha Guitalele. Cheap. Portable. Big fun.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM

Not sure where to start with helping you here. Pretty much any guitar that you feel has a value commensurate with your intended use would work. If you're worried about damaging a guitar, just make sure it's one for which you could live with it being ruined. That said, laminate probably would hold-up better and will be cheaper.

I suggest playing a bunch of individual used and inexpensive guitars and just go with your gut (and wallet). Otherwise, if you're looking for indestructible guitars, carbon fiber would be what I'd look at. But they're in another league cost-wise.

Good luck!
Old 04-29-2014, 09:37 PM

I own the Mitchell MDJ10. It's a very well built instrument. Sound is as good as any guitar that size. For the price it is a steal and it's tiny. Perfect for a travel guitar.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johanneswtrost View Post
I am learning guitar since 1/2 year and have a Washburn WD11SEC which I am quite happy with. But I don't know other guitars. Now I need to prepare for the camping season but I'm reluctant to take my Washburn because we are essentially in the dirt all day long (Don't want to ruin and scratch that buitiful instrument!). I'm looking for a camping guitar which must be palyable and doesn't fall apart on the slightest touch. I have searched this forum and the web and found these options:

Rogue RA-100D $70 - full size?
Oscar Schmidt OG1 $95 - 3/4 size
Washburn OF2 $100 - full size?
Jasmine S35 $100 - full size?
Yamaha JR-1 $130 - 3/4 size
Guitar Works GWTR-1 $130 - small size
Luna Safari $150 - 3/4 size
Mitchell MDJ10 $150 - samller size

I would like to have a smaller guitar because my car is always extremely jammed. But I have adult size fingers and don't want a kids guitar with the strings too close. Price is very important - but I rather pay a couple of bucks more if it translates into great value.

What are your thoughts?

Used Loar LO-16..............
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM

I bought a Taylor gs5 to use it for camping...
Old 04-29-2014, 11:17 PM

You've listed the Jasmine S35 (which is a full size yes) so I'll add my 2 cents in... If you are contemplating a full size camping guitar here is what I use: I've got the Jasmine S34C which I love but also take camping and I don't worry about it too much. It's durable and cheap. I got mine used for about 60-80 bucks, can't remember. Anyways its a Jumbo style 16" lower bout, 4" depth with a narrow 10" waist. The guitar plays well, a stout neck, and actually sounds decent (I string it with Elixir Polyweb Lights 12-53, which really brings out a good sound in this guitar) and the cutaway is nice too. Finish is a matte style so you don't have to worry about the scratches like you would with a gloss finish. If you need space-saving there is always the Martin Backpacker which I have as well but I prefer the full size body if I can get it to fit into the car for the ride to the camp ground.

Here are some videos if you want to see the Jasmine and Backpacker:

Full view of Jasmine S34C:
http://vimeo.com/86049834

Newer video (close up) of Jasmine S34C:
http://vimeo.com/87235517 (Picking)
http://vimeo.com/86052796 (Strumming)

Martin Backpacker review of mine:
http://vimeo.com/93338702

Martin Backpacker latest vid:
http://vimeo.com/91568597

Hope thats not too presumptuous to post those links, just thought it would give you an idea of sound/fit.

Good luck!!

Last edited by moondoggie999; 04-29-2014 at 11:33 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-29-2014, 11:48 PM

Thanks for your recommendations:

Looks to me it comes down to Yamaha JR1 vs Mitchell MDJ10. Anybody have hard feelings one way or the other?

B.t.w, thanks for the guitarlele tip. I didn't know there is something out like this. But want to stick to guitar tune for now. And thanks wonderfulremark: I would love to be in a position to have a Taylor GS5 :-)
Old 04-30-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc View Post
This over Martin Backpacker... The Little Martin may fit the bill. HPL b&s should hold up tonally to the environment changes.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 04-30-2014, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmc View Post
Too small IMHO. I bought one with similar objectives, and will give it away when I find somebody local who wants it. It is only baritone uke size and has a very narrow neck.
If I still wanted a campfire guitar (which I don't) I'd certainly buy a CA or one of the other composite instruments.
MJRB
Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 AM

In that price range, go Recording king Dirty thirties. I've seen them hanging around at Guitar Center and they felt and sounded great for under $200. Go 000 if you want the extra volume or parlor if you want the extra few inches of space. In terms of packing though, the difference will likely be negligible so I'd go for the 000. A sunburst guitar in front of a campfire always seemed fitting to me.

If you don't mind getting into the $200 range, I'd snag an Art and Lutherie Ami which, in my opinion, will outplay all the guitars on your list. Of course, it'll cost double.
Martin MMV Dreadnought (because everyone needs a Martin )

Electrics:
Fender Telecaster (the workhorse)
ESP EC-1000 VB (the shredder)
G&L L2000 (its a bass)
Old 04-30-2014, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJRB View Post
Too small IMHO. I bought one with similar objectives, and will give it away when I find somebody local who wants it. It is only baritone uke size and has a very narrow neck.
If I still wanted a campfire guitar (which I don't) I'd certainly buy a CA or one of the other composite instruments.
MJRB
The neck on the Guitalele has a 1 7/8 nut. How is that a "very narrow neck"? The string spacing on the nut could be wider if one wanted--there's room--but it's certainly not a narrow neck unless compared to a full scale, full size classical guitar. Certainly bigger than almost any normal acoustic guitar.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:32 AM

For me it would be the Luna Safari hands down. My wife has one and they come in 7 or 8 models. We have played many of them in many different shops and each time every one has sounded good. When we go away hers is always with us. To us they are every bit as nice as the Baby Taylor and the Little Martin (which I have) and the Lune can be had for $150.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:30 AM

Default Furch little Jane

Its not quite in the budget that you had for the other suggested guitars, but the Furch Little Jane is by far the coolest portable/trave/camping guitar i've seen let.

this is the official video for it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXBHmdVNJJ4

folds up, sounds great, its a winner.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:40 AM

I have a guitar that was given to me that I use for camping. If I had to go buy one, I'd just head to the local used guitar store and play all the guitars at or below my budget. Then buy the one I like best. Don't over think it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
cheap guitars, travel guitar