The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-16-2018, 01:15 PM

Default String Recs - Recording King RP1-16C

I bought a used RP1-16C to explore fingerstyle as a lower-cost way to try the 1 3/4 and 2 5/16 spec - http://acousticguitar.com/recording-king-rp1-16c/ The package was designed by well-regarded fingerstyle player Eric Schoenberg, so I'm assuming this is a good spec package that will give me a good idea of what fingerstyle is about.

The RP1 is a parlor (13 3/4" lower, 9" upper) with a full-scale (25.5" my measurement) driving a solid torrified adi top over lam mahogany b/s. I'm a little surprised ES chose full-scale over shorter-scale, as it appears most fingerstyle-focused guitars are shorter-scale for ease of playability. I assume he wanted to leave room for drop tunings.

The RP1 is shipped with medium strings -D'Addario EJ17 Phosphor Bronze strings (.013–.056). This RP variant is the less-expensive one (RP2-16-C is 00 size), and has a thick poly coat over the torrified spruce soundboard, rather than the RP2's thinner lacquer.

Recording Kings with this spec frequently pull their bridges up, I'm guessing due at least in part to the excess string tension caused the by the scale and medium strings. My example's bridge already pulled up and was repaired. The guitar came to me with .11s. It sounds OK, but nothing special.

I'd like to practice using fingertips (no nails) and have a warm resonant sound from this cheaper guitar. I don't need volume, but I want to be able to move the soundboard to get the most out of the guitar with the least input, something the increased scale should assist. I don't anticipate altered tunings in the near future. At the same time, to keep the guitar together I'd like to keep the string tension down, so I don't need mediums, unless otherwise recommended for my needs.

Given the above, what gauge/brand/spec of strings should I try first? Martin's Silk & Steel? Other?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:53 PM

My RP-06 is great to play with Martin Flexcore lights. It is quiet (but you say you don't mind), sounds articulate, and is easy to play.

I have tried a variety of different strings on this guitar, but these are the best for my use (couch guitar).

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
My RP-06 is great to play with Martin Flexcore lights. It is quiet (but you say you don't mind), sounds articulate, and is easy to play.

I have tried a variety of different strings on this guitar, but these are the best for my use (couch guitar).
Thanks. We have some overlapping tastes (Taylor, including cedar top, Journey [OF 510], and now RK), so that's helpful info. I'm after "articulate" and "easy to play," while also allowing the poly-bound soundboard to contribute to the strings and body input.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:44 PM

If you play for finger style for yourself (without other musicians involved), there is a lot to experiment in lowering the tuning (half-step, one step, one and a half step), with heavier gauges.

In my experience, this seems to make some guitars sing better.
(I could elaborate on to *why* this is the case, but this kind of conversation can go berserk on such a forum, so I prefer not to)

But this works only on some guitars. Not all. So the key word is *experimentation*.
Given the price of strings, this is worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 01-16-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbat View Post
If you play for finger style for yourself (without other musicians involved), there is a lot to experiment in lowering the tuning (half-step, one step, one and a half step), with heavier gauges.

In my experience, this seems to make some guitars sing better.
(I could elaborate on to *why* this is the case, but this kind of conversation can go berserk on such a forum, so I prefer not to)

But this works only on some guitars. Not all. So the key word is *experimentation*.
Given the price of strings, this is worth it.
I appreciate the experimentation suggestion - any string ideas for one wanting to start with the described new-to-me guitar in standard tuning (for now)?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
I appreciate the experimentation suggestion - any string ideas for one wanting to start with the described new-to-me guitar in standard tuning (for now)?
Well, you already have the industry standard EJ17 on it, so just try to lower the tuning and see: 1- what happens, and 2- if you like that.
Then, try nickel based strings, for a radical change.
Any brand, the idea is *radical change*.
Rinse, repeat. Look at it as a scientific experience. No preconceived opinion. Anything can happen, surprise, delight, deception...

I personally found out that heavier gauges is better than lighter gauges, even at similar tension. YMMV.

Generally, when I have a new -to me- guitar, I peruse through my collection of strings, and/or go to any on line retailer to buy several sets of strings to test. After a while (like between 6 to 12 months), I know what the guitar prefer, and I buy enough for a few years. Problem solved.
(since I never play in standard tuning, I buy single strings and built sets from scratch, but you can sample standard sets from the usual brands)

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 01-16-2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Thanks. We have some overlapping tastes (Taylor, including cedar top, Journey [OF 510], and now RK), so that's helpful info. I'm after "articulate" and "easy to play," while also allowing the poly-bound soundboard to contribute to the strings and body input.
Another possibility, one I have tried, is silk and bronze strings. I used the John Pearse light/medium set (610L), which has a heavier low end than most custom lights. They were pretty good. But I would be inclined to try the 510L set, for ease of play. The Martin Flexcores I currently have on the guitar are 11-47. They were an accidental discovery, as I didn't think I would like a gauge that light. I was wrong (for this particular guitar). But if you are that concerned about moving the soundboard, try the Martin Flexcore 12-54 set.

By the way, I also play fingerstyle with just the flesh of my fingers, as you do.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:33 PM

John Pearse Pure Nickel acoustic strings light gauge 12-54
GHS White Bronze light gauge 12-54
GHS Silk and Bronze medium light gauge 12-54
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
Another possibility, one I have tried, is silk and bronze strings. I used the John Pearse light/medium set (610L), which has a heavier low end than most custom lights. They were pretty good. But I would be inclined to try the 510L set, for ease of play. The Martin Flexcores I currently have on the guitar are 11-47. They were an accidental discovery, as I didn't think I would like a gauge that light. I was wrong (for this particular guitar). But if you are that concerned about moving the soundboard, try the Martin Flexcore 12-54 set.

By the way, I also play fingerstyle with just the flesh of my fingers, as you do.
Excellent startingi points. Thanks
Old 01-17-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbucci View Post
John Pearse Pure Nickel acoustic strings light gauge 12-54
GHS White Bronze light gauge 12-54
GHS Silk and Bronze medium light gauge 12-54
They're now on the list - thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion